JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
7A974B09-7512-461B-BA8A-60C968E319D3.jpeg Or get this

Just take a large scoop and swallow it.

You'll get so sick you'll probably never want to do it again.

I think that probably works for guys that aren't real chewers like I used to be.

I use to recreationally chew when shooting or hanging out in the shop or whatever until I was under my truck for half hour and had to gut it. Made me sick and haven't touched it since. My brother in law on the other hand guts it constantly and could probably eat a whole can no problem.

I dont have a real addictive personality, so I dont have much experience, I just think you have to be done chewing mentally for you to be able to get through the physical stuff. I dont think aids help too much.

I never used dip, so I can't speak to that dynamic. I did, however, smoke cigarettes during late adolescence and early adulthood. When I was dead set determined to quit, the nicotine patch was the closest thing to a "silver bullet" to making it happen. I think it was a combination of addressing the nicotine withdrawal and having my mind made up that I was done with it. Over the decades I've enjoyed the occasional cigar (somewhere between 0 and 3 a year these days), but never cigs again. So maybe the patch would help with dip too? I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but might be worth a shot. (I still drink a lot of coffee and alcohol, but that is another story. :s0112:)

I just think you have to be done chewing mentally for you to be able to get through the physical stuff. I dont think aids help too much.

Definitely agree that you have to have a sincere desire to quit before it will stick. For me, back when I was trying to quit, even though I had the sincere desire the 'pain' of withdrawal always resulted in me giving up. Having a desk job compounded this also, as there wasn't much to distract me from wanting to put in a chew. For my type of personality the quitting aids like nicorette were exactly what I needed; I could gradually taper off without feeling like I lost my best friend and also not snap at my poor wife for no reason.

I too was good friends with Copenhagen long cut for just under ten years. I quit cold turkey about 7 years ago after I noticed it was getting easier to gut it and was burning through a can a day or more, plus many city civil service jobs were starting to have SOG's that say new hires must be non users of tobacco and I was in the testing process and couldn't afford to get a job and lose it. I'll tell ya this, I still have dreams about it and know for sure I can taste it in those. I don't think the cravings go away completely they just subside until you come close to a moment of weakness. The worst of it is one of my best friends and business partner still chews and every time I smell it a little gremlin on my shoulder says one pinch won't hurt. Just a matter of fighting it off, plus at my career civil service job I'd get fired for using tobacco so it ain't worth it.

Its funny how I decided to quit. My buddy saw this dude picking his nose. Little bit later the guy asked to bum a dip. Buddy whispers in ny ear about the nose picking. Told dude just to keep the can. Realized I was stuck on a ship with no more chew. I made it a week on the boat and decided to ride the wave.

Its been a couple months since a dip for me and I'm still pizzed quite frequently :eek:

I carry a fresh can as an emergency stash and it helps with the cravings. If its there I don't long for a chew as badly o_O Until I drive and am surrounded by mooo-rons:eek::eek::eek:

Its funny how I decided to quit. My buddy saw this dude picking his nose. Little bit later the guy asked to bum a dip. Buddy whispers in ny ear about the nose picking. Told dude just to keep the can. Realized I was stuck on a ship with no more chew. I made it a week on the boat and decided to ride the wave.

A guy at work who is often a bummer/bummee of dips was taking a dump in the stall next to me the other day. I laughed when he walked out without washing his hands.

May be the best thing to happen to you. Damn funny story. Good thing your buddy did not wait till you had some then tell you :)

Its been a couple months since a dip for me and I'm still pizzed quite frequently :eek:

I carry a fresh can as an emergency stash and it helps with the cravings. If its there I don't long for a chew as badly o_O Until I drive and am surrounded by mooo-rons:eek::eek::eek:

Stress makes it really hard for many. When I quit I was working at a shop where the only place you could not smoke was the lunch room, it was fine everywhere else. So every time I had problems it seems every damn supervisor and maintenance person smoked. They would be there helping puffing away. Soon I was "hey let me get one of those" :mad::mad:
I thought going to the bar after work would be the problem since they of course were all still smoking places. Turned out being at work was far harder that after work.

I'll add a bit more to my endeavor.
Things I tried before "I stopped" were:
Nicotine patches, time release candies (like tic-tacs), hypnosis, and finally what I seen as a last ditch effort, Chantix.
Nothing worked for me, so by time I got to the point I considered Chantix, I researched the heck out of it. With Chantix, it all sounded very promising. The advertising on TV made it sound convincing, and very effective. Don't believe everything pushed. Everyone is different how the drug effects the receptors in the mind. With me, I started the plan that was laid out in the leaflet, and smoked for the first week while taking the pills. Week two (as per instructions) everything nicotine and support for, removed from my area. Everywhere that I spent time, all thrown in the trash. All clothes washed whether clean or not, vehicles cleaned out and swabbed, air fresheners placed wherever necessary to circumvent odor. I never smoked inside our home, and never smoked around people that did not. I told anyone who knew me that I was quitting smoking, that for no reason, DO NOT encourage me to smoke, whether they smoked or not.

With the Chantix, everything was going real well for the first few weeks. No cravings what so ever. It seemed to suppress the craving, and the urge. After about 30 days in the side effects started showing. Vivid, strange dreams that I can't explain. Then the side effects (thoughts) started happening while I was awake, at any given time of the day. Without going into details of those thoughts, the side effects scared the hell out of me. So much so, I quit taking Chantix. I've spoken to many people who have also tried Chantix, with very positive results. Which is great, for them. What works for some, doesn't work for all.

Something you need to do is convince yourself, YOU do not want to quit smoking, you want to STOP smoking.
Fight it my friend. FIGHT IT!!

5-htp, L-theanine, and vitamin b12 were things that really helped even out my mood when I quit smoking. All can be bought in the natural food section of a Fred Meyer. I also used some low dose nicotine tablets: New Home - Rogue

Also, cinnamon chew sticks.

I quit for 6 months and just started again... stress is hard to deal with and going back to what you know is easy :(. But I'm going to try again. Good luck to you and it does get easier.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top