JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a very small business owner looking for help. I've just used Craiglist in the past, with mixed results, for a paid service... this time around I've had exactly zero hits in a couple weeks. I could just go around to all the internet recruiting pages and buy $30 ads from them all, but it's not like I have a ton of time or money to devote to this crap. Surely there's one that's king over all? Where's the best place to post help wanted ads?

Industry is skilled trade, if that makes a differnce

Looking for a journeyman composition roofer.

Professional, reliable, pass a drug test. I just can't believe that's too much to ask for, these days.

Professional, reliable, pass a drug test. I just can't believe that's too much to ask for, these days.

You would think so. I have been out of the trades for a number of years, so have no idea what going wages would be, reliable and passing a drug test seem to be pretty much the problem. From what I see and observe, there are some pretty sketchy looking crews and business's out there now.

I'd call a big supplier.. my favorite is down around the E side of the Morrison bridge or so.
Ask them if they have some people that they'd recommend.. many suppliers of whatever actually do keep a binder but they've probably got a short list in their heads or whatever.
Good luck.

You would think so. I have been out of the trades for a number of years, so have no idea what going wages would be, reliable and passing a drug test seem to be pretty much the problem. From what I see and observe, there are some pretty sketchy looking crews and business's out there now.

Yup. For every quality employee I've had over the years, I've gone through 10 idiots - either drug users, or drug users, or drug users. I finally started piss testing, and now I can't even get anyone to apply.

Some guys go that route... it's never worked for me. Firstly, there's just no way they can make enough money to justify their own licensing costs (I have to renew in about two weeks... $4000 out of pocket, just to stay in business)... and secondly, in my experience, they want to do things their way - show up and leave when they want (as is their right, as a sub), do things their way.... whether it lines up with my super-high standards or not. They also tend to not follow OSHA guidelines, believing they're exempt because they're independently licensed - which cant be father from the truth. The only ONE man on a jobsite who can walk around on the roof unroped is a sole-proprietor owner of the original contract. All employees, all subs, and any corporate owners, are all under OSHA jurisdiction.

Gotta be a direct employee, so I can control the quality, the schedule, and not get hit with thousands in fines.

Ah, yes, brother Ben. I'm a contractor myself, I understand what you are going through. I think there are to many metrosexuals running around, that don't know how to work. Hell if I lived in your area, I'd go to work for you. Yes, I'd even pee in the cup. But, you'd have to hold it for me. And, I'm not talking about the cup, brother.:D Good luck, things have changed, they don't make them like us anymore! So can you send me that application? :rolleyes::cool:;)

Maybe call someone like express temporaries or the like, might have roofers in their pool. They do drug tests, make sure the workers show on time and sort for qualified people for the job. Worth a shot and you can always hire one on directly if they work out and weed the bad ones without a hassle.

I am a welder and when I have had to scroll though job listings in the past I never bother with the adds that say " compensation DOE" if you want to be taken seriously just put out the wages such as" compensation $15-18 doe. Give the guy an idea otherwise he will never fill out an application and resume just to find out the pay is no where near what he needs.
At least that is how I feel as the job seeker
GL

I feel for you Ben.
I was a custom home re-modeler and I ended up doing everything myself, as I couldn't find a decent apprentice to train.
I'm an easy guy to work for, but I don't cut corners and the younger guys I tried to teach didn't want to learn a trade, only to get paid, drink beer and laid.

The problem you're facing is that all the GOOD roofers already have a job, because as I'm sure you know... It's roofing season.

Only the dregs are left, unless you can snipe a skilled roofer away from their current employer, but that'll be spendy too.

The problem you're facing is that all the GOOD roofers already have a job, because as I'm sure you know... It's roofing season.

Only the dregs are left, unless you can snipe a skilled roofer away from their current employer, but that'll be spendy too.

To some degree... work picks up this time of year, but it's a year-round trade for real roofers. It's probably why I haven't gotten my usual slough of "yo I herd u waz hirying wats yor peace rate pay" BS this time around. However - I have a hell of a time finding decent help whether it's July, November, or May.

I'm in a facilities maintenance business and we go through enough techs in a year and it is almost impossible to find people with a wide range of skills, are willing to learn new things, can trouble shoot, have a hard work ethic, and can self manage themselves.

For every DECENT tech I get we go through 5 lazy, self entitled idiots.

Have you tried calling some local trade skill schools? There's even a women's trade program in portland that turns out some great women in trade business.
They usually have a recruiter or job placer that may help.
There's a trade school here in vancouver off burton that may have some help as well.

Good luck to you, I know the frustration.
I see a lot of companies doing work around my neighborhood using hispanics for labor.
Cheap, easy, and they are usually hard working dedicated people as long as you find the legal, responsible one.

I am a welder and when I have had to scroll though job listings in the past I never bother with the adds that say " compensation DOE" if you want to be taken seriously just put out the wages such as" compensation $15-18 doe. Give the guy an idea otherwise he will never fill out an application and resume just to find out the pay is no where near what he needs.
At least that is how I feel as the job seeker
GL

Yup.. I occasionally peruse project manager job postings... Hey, never hurts to know what's out there, right? I wouldn't ever even send a letter of interest in on a job that didn't list some kind of idea about compensation. Many years ago, frustrated with the difficulties of running a roofing company, I did actually respond to a job posting... I don't remember what the title was, but a local roofer wanted someone to come run his company with him. Definitely more than just a PM job. So I figured it'd be good for $80k to start, plus commish, or so. I sent me CV, we chatted a few times, he liked me, wouldn't give me any idea of salary.... wanted me to come in for an interview - all the way to the other side of Gresham (I'm in Saint Helens)... even at the interview he still wouldn't talk about salary! He offered me a job right there... I told him I couldn't even consider it until we talked about salary... he just kept saying "Oh don't even worry about that! I'm willing to pay for the right man!" So we parted.... offer unaccepted, still no salary negotiated. Instead, he told me to think on it REAL HARD and email him a "fair" number. So I did, as soon as I got home....... He sent me back an offer that was LESS THAN HALF of my bare minimum.

I sent him a pretty scathing email for wasting my time. Super insulted.

Yea.. I'd never apply for a job that didn't list at least a range.

The trades that do not require journeyman level training are always going to be more difficult to get workers and retain workers. I worked in operations and financial consulting for construction business's. Most business's are their own problem with not knowing costs and just basic good business practices.

I finally went with a specialty trade that put us in public works jobs with DB and prevailing wage work. Life got a lot easier. Even with increased administration costs, our business thrived. We had to pay from $ 19 per hour for a shovel boy up to $ 47 per hour for equipment operators. Our employees loved the work, the money and I loved the profit margins we made. Drug tested everybody in the company all the time per the GC's requirements. My competitors and us all had people waiting to work for us and waiting for their chance.

No offense to you Ben, but the roofing business will always be hard. It is not like you are hiring journeyman electricians and plumbers. You are going to have to find those commercial jobs or public works jobs that will pay you well and support the cost and wage structures you will need to get off the merry go round of competing for the good workers, dealing with all the bullshot you have to in the low bid residential and commercial world. Know your costs, project manage the hell out of the jobs and business, get your cost structure as tight as you can so you can pay the best you can and remain competitive and profitable.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top