JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, so many thoughtful replies. Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. Really appreciate it. You've given us a lot to think about and lots of good considerations and options to look into. It would be really nice if this covid wasn't getting in the way of our ability to go to a range and try out a variety of guns.

It may be a month or two before he comes to a decision but I'll try to remember to come back and let you all know what he gets :s0019:

Well if you were closer I'd invite you both over many different types and plenty of ammo and I shoot at home.
I'll bring the smoker and ribs.. we will make it an entire day event!!

I'm sure there would be something fun between your handful and my fist full.

Safe fire indoor in Camas. You buy their ammo and can try any gun in the cabinet for that caliber. Gives you a ton of different ones to shoot for their price of a box of ammo.

As mentioned before, IF they are currently renting them. Call them and ask.

:s0155:

With all the stuff going on my dad has decided he wants to buy a gun. I think he's looking for an effective home defense firearm, and at the moment he seems most interested in handguns. He hasn't shot a gun since his training in the Navy ~40 years ago. I've owned a few handguns over the years and am pretty familiar with a lot of modern handguns. I'm not a pro by any means, but I have been professionally trained on firearm safety.

The main purpose of this post is I wanted to ask if anyone would be up for meeting at a shooting range in the Vancouver / Ridgefield area so my dad can try shooting a couple different handguns to get a feel for what he likes. I have a Sig P229 Enhanced Elite (9mm) that I would bring but that's my only gun at the moment. I also only have about 50 rnds of range ammo. We would be happy to pay cash to compensate for shooting some of your rounds, and you're welcome to try my Sig if you want.

I've been to a few ranges over the years and most people there were exceptionally nice and helpful, so I thought I'd ask here. My dad and I are both easy-going, fun, respectful, and responsible guys. I'm in my mid 30's, he's in his mid 60's.

Thanks for reading. I realize this might asking too much during this time but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

You did not give any indication of price point.
For a handgun, a 4"-6" .357/.38 Spec.
would be a good choice. Simple manual of arms, and dead nuts reliable.
Your Sig is a fine gun, but not a tool for beginners.
Based on his limited experience, an what appears to be limited opportunity to get experience at this time, a .20 GA Coach Gun would be a fine choice.
If he wants to try handguns, and can find some to try, but no range ammo available, I would hook your dad up with some. My treat.
Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top