JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to sell one of my pistols in order to fund a utility trailer that I want to buy, but I'm not having any luck really finding an accurate price. It's a Smith & Wesson Model 66-5 K-Frame .357 2½" barrel.

I've looked all over Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, etc., and the prices vary quite a bit. Seems that the 4" model is the most widely available/popular.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

The 2010 Catalog of gun values lists the following:

NIB $500
EX $310
VG $250
GD $200
FAIR $150
Poor $125

Note: There is no differential for barrel length.

That said, in today's climate $350 doesn't sound out of line :)

RKBA

Yep we know the drill well and it's really not fooling anyone. throw out "for interests sake" an ad that get's all the bumps and exposure needed. I'm glad I'm not the only one getting kinda tired of these.
If you want to gauge interest- post an ad. If someone is interested they'll buy it, not many better ways to get a gauge on the interest.
You say you've done your research so pick the price that MAKES YOU HAPPY. If it sells quick- it was a good deal and you're happy. If it doesn't sell- you're priced high and can choose from there.

No, this isn't an ad. I genuinely could not find fair value on this particular pistol outside of what RKBA posted above (thank you BTW). And iamme, I'm not interested in setting a price for it that "makes me happy". I'm interested in finding a fair price for the firearm so I can sell it at a fair price. If anyone has a problem with it, please feel free to micturate afield.

someone woke the forum nazi's

one way is to look at the completed auctions than average them out.

or another is to look for someone who wants to trade , see what they got and see if you can flip it for a profit

Thanks Ops, but honestly I'm not looking to flip for a profit, I really do need a utility trailer since my truck died. I have the money to get it fixed, but it's not worth the cost- the truck is too old. Shame too, everything else on the truck is fine. But when a head gasket blows, it sucks!

Man, people can get testy about simple questions...

Really, to me, the pistol is worth whatever you want to charge for it. It's your pistol, and what you think is fair is more important than what some book says. If you need money quickly, we all have a tendency to under price, while if we really don't want to sell, we over price, so that it never sells. All depends on your motivation....

I'll be looking for your ad...

Around $600 on gun broker
2 1/2" revolvers are still popular and smiths are expensive.
I can attest to this for what i sold 2 at the show this weekend.

If it's in good condition,price it around $500,it will sell fast

Then have the local 12yo show you how to use the weberneten
I don't get tired of y'all doing these threads,I just get tired of you being too lazy to learn how to search Gun Broker

So yahoo/google the words Gun Broker
Then look at the end of the big bullet looking thing for the words "browse categories'
Put the cursor on there and move to the next step
Type in the key words like "smith 66" and hit enter

And there ya go!
Revolvers for Sale - Buy Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Not everyone is as computer savvy as the average 12yo. I know there have been times when I've tried figuring things out that are extremely easy to those in the know that do it all the time, but are not obvious for beginners.

To find a fair value for any given firearm here's what I do: I might glance at a copy of "Gun values" bluebook, but published books are usually not real accurate because values fluctuate as well as vary a lot based on region. I'll then go to Gunbroker, go to "Advanced Search", click on the "Completed Items" tab at the top (must have an account). Search for whatever you're looking for, then look at the ones that actually got bids. Some of those that got bids may not have sold because of a reserve, but after you've looked at a bunch of them, you'll get an idea of ballpark value based on condition and comparable features. Remember, with Gunbroker you have shipping and FFL fees that can affect a buyers bid, and that high bid is also the highest price the highest bidder is willing to pay at any given time. Looking at a bunch with these factors in mind will give you a rough estimate.

Looking at Gunbroker right now, I'm surprised at how much S&W revolvers are going for these days. The last one I bought a couple years ago cost me $350 (nice old model 66 4" police gun, used consignment at the local gun shop). I was and am very happy with it, and from the look of things on GB, I got a great deal. I'm a little different in that regard, though, because a great deal is not a real big deal to me, so long as I don't grossly overpay. I try to just buy what I like and want, and keep it. I don't like to buy and sell all the time to make a couple bucks. In ten years I'll still have what I wanted and the extra $50 I might have spent will be irrelevant.

Or maybe the OP is just fishing after all, hoping the increased exposure will help generate good offers as opposed to languishing on the second page of the handgun trader section, where most people go when they are looking for a handgun to buy. If so, then we all just helped him get a little more exposure. But maybe a patient explanation of how to properly research gun values might help the next guy who doesn't know how to do it. Either way, good luck.

Thank you CLT, I'll take your advice and check out the advanced search.

And for the record, I'm holding off selling until this thread officially dies.

Not everyone is as computer savvy as the average 12yo. I know there have been times when I've tried figuring things out that are extremely easy to those in the know that do it all the time, but are not obvious for beginners.

Oh I'm not joking. Heck grab the kid next door and have him give a hand

Around $600 on gun broker
2 1/2" revolvers are still popular and smiths are expensive.
I can attest to this for what i sold 2 at the show this weekend.

If it's in good condition,price it around $500,it will sell fast

I don't get tired of y'all doing these threads,I just get tired of you being too lazy to learn how to search Gun Broker

So yahoo/google the words Gun Broker
Then look at the end of the big bullet looking thing for the words "browse categories'
Put the cursor on there and move to the next step
Type in the key words like "smith 66" and hit enter

And there ya go!
Revolvers for Sale - Buy Revolvers at GunBroker.com

:s0114: That was better than using Let Me Google That For You.

So, the real answer is to figure it out before you come here. These people know what they will pay, smell the blood of innocents, and do not tolerate ignorance. Do the research before coming here. That is my freeby to you.

No, this isn't an ad. I genuinely could not find fair value on this particular pistol outside of what RKBA posted above (thank you BTW). And iamme, I'm not interested in setting a price for it that "makes me happy". I'm interested in finding a fair price for the firearm so I can sell it at a fair price. If anyone has a problem with it, please feel free to micturate afield.

Don't worry. Marks an Azz 99% of the time. Needs an old fashion butt kickin.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top