JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have recently acquired a custom 375 h&h remington 700 from a friend with a 17.5 inch barrel it currently has iron sights on it now, but the balistics of the round make it able to shoot 300 to 600 yards reliably without much drop and I have been trying to find a scope that will work well and stand up to recoil, and not fail. I haven't purchased or owned many scopes so any info on personal experiences would be very helpful.

Last Edited:
The only scope i would recommend would be a Leupold.

" They are designed to withstand, undamaged, 5,000 repetitions of 750 G acceleration. This is the harshest standard in the industry, and no competitive brand of scope has ever passed Leupold's impact test. (And Leupold tests them all.)" - according to chuck hawks.

Plus they have a lifetime warranty and employ about 700 US employees who design, assemble, and manufacture locally in beaverton.

Last Edited:
with a 17.5 inch barrel reaching out to 400 yards out to be challenging as i am certain you will lose alot of velocity. I would put a VariX 2. 2-7 on it. It worked well on my 358 STA.

Surprisingly enough the velocity difference on a 375 h&h from a 26 inch barrel to 17.25 is not much at all due to modern powders. Leupold is what I was thinking as well, I have friends who use vortex for there warrenty but harbor freight has a great warrenty it doesn't make the tools better than snap on

Surprisingly enough the velocity difference on a 375 h&h from a 26 inch barrel to 17.25 is not much at all due to modern powders. Leupold is what I was thinking as well, I have friends who use vortex for there warrenty but harbor freight has a great warrenty it doesn't make the tools better than snap on

You don't guess an extra 10'' of barrel can take advantage of that same ''Modern Powder'' ? ;)

And I vote Shepherd or Leupold for a scope.

No not really if you compare chronograph data the difference is miniscule, it's like the outdated notion that a longer barrel gives you better accuracy.

Probably an old Weaver K-4 on a claw mount. Make sure your irons are aperture style and you'll just throw any old scope in the crick mud anyways.

i have reloaded since 1982 and my limited experirnce tells me there is s reason most 375H&H have 24" barrels. If you are getting the same performance from a 17.5" barrel and to me the chamber pressure has to be running a lot higher which detracts from one of the virtues of the round which is a fairly low chamber pressure to facilitate better extraction. If your happy with the results and the rifle fantastic but there are very few free lunches.

i have reloaded since 1982 and my limited experirnce tells me there is s reason most 375H&H have 24" barrels. If you are getting the same performance from a 17.5" barrel and to me the chamber pressure has to be running a lot higher which detracts from one of the virtues of the round which is a fairly low chamber pressure to facilitate better extraction. If your happy with the results and the rifle fantastic but there are very few free lunches.
So a negative two scope?

The average difference between the 24-26 inch to 20 inch barrel reduction is a loss of 75fps which is well documented online. I am loosing about 150 fps on average with chronographing with my load data from hodgon online loading data who use a 24 inch barrel for there test. To remove 6.75 inches of huge heavy cumbersome barrel and only loose 150 fps on average is incredibly miniscule for what I am gaining. And those are facts not feels

already recommended a scope see above. I have to believe since the rifle is lighter due to a shortened barrel eye relief is going to be critical the more the better.
Oh. I thought with your slandering/preaching you'd go for the negative power scope. Good call on a scout/aperture setup though.

Boyles law. To get the same velocity in shorter barrel you increase pressure or heat.

I had a Ruger 375 for a while. I put a fixed 4x Leupold on it when I got it, just because that's what I had on hand. I changed that to a 3-9x40 Leupold when I had the chance. Without getting into the pissin match that's seemed to started up over barrel length, with the gun I had it mimicked the trajectory of the 06 and I've always had a 3-9x40 on that. (not to mention I like the option of cranking it up to see a little better)
I would be curious, though, to know the actual velocity of a 270 or 300gr bullet out of that shorter barrel.

Another plus one for a Leupold. The little experience I've had with them over the years has been very positive. And as mentioned, they're from right here in the Beaver State.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top