JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.5" holes.

upload_2019-2-19_15-29-53.jpeg
upload_2019-2-19_15-30-6.jpeg
Model 89 Trapper

Those rifle calibers all have considerable history and wide variety of potential load choices. The sheer pleasures and ballistic usefulness of any of them alone is enough to them ALL being a great choice depending on your own use. I too prefer lever long guns. As geezeritis tries to confront my shooting shoulder, my fascination with 45-70 has somewhat dwindled.

Thanks for the info! I have had three rotator cuff injuries, non-gun related. However, I don't expect my shoulders will improve with age (ha!). I don't see myself making my own ammo, but I do understand how the recoil could be managed that way. The 45-70 sounds like a mule kicker!

You can also hunt deer with .357 in a lever gun, and it has the additional benefit of being widely available chambering in revolvers so you will only need one type of ammunition if you ever decide to get one of those.
45/70 is great if you ever think you'll hunt anything bigger than deer, but also much more expensive to shoot. Most people I know of who shoot 45/70 also reload their own ammo.
30-30 rifles are a traditional favorite, and much easier to come across on the used market than .357mag.
I also wouldn't expect a lever gun to be an ideal platform for anything past 200yards. However I can't see myself hunting past 200 yards either, given my current skill level (or lack there of). I'm sure somebody could make it work, but personally I'd pick up a different rifle for those longer shots.

So, I just happened on this information from the Internet. The recoil energy varies from shotgun loads and bullet grain size, as well as the weight of the shotgun or rifle. From the range below, the 243 and 30-30 seem to be close; the .308 and 30-06 are somewhat comparable, and the 45-70 seems to top all of the rifles mentioned here.

12 gauge - 17-45 recoil energy
243 - 7-11
30-30 - 6-12
.308 - 9-18
30-06 10-23
45-70 - 23-38

while I long enjoyed the 45-70 at the range, there came a point where carry in the woods was surprisingly like taking my memorial anvil collection out for a stroll.....

Thanks for the info! I have had three rotator cuff injuries, non-gun related. However, I don't expect my shoulders will improve with age (ha!). I don't see myself making my own ammo, but I do understand how the recoil could be managed that way. The 45-70 sounds like a mule kicker!

That depends 100% on the load, the original 405gr black powder loading is a powder puff compared to the rounds full capability, which can near 458 Win power.

You can also hunt deer with .357 in a lever gun, and it has the additional benefit of being widely available chambering in revolvers so you will only need one type of ammunition if you ever decide to get one of those.
45/70 is great if you ever think you'll hunt anything bigger than deer, but also much more expensive to shoot. Most people I know of who shoot 45/70 also reload their own ammo.
30-30 rifles are a traditional favorite, and much easier to come across on the used market than .357mag.
I also wouldn't expect a lever gun to be an ideal platform for anything past 200yards. However I can't see myself hunting past 200 yards either, given my current skill level (or lack there of). I'm sure somebody could make it work, but personally I'd pick up a different rifle for those longer shots.

Great stuff from everyone! I have noticed lever actions in .357 magnum and understand that many range practice with the cheaper .38's. You gave me something to think about, Flymph, as I could get a 357. revolver and use ammo for both.

Great stuff from everyone! I have noticed lever actions in .357 magnum and understand that many range practice with the cheaper .38's. You gave me something to think about, Flymph, as I could get a 357. revolver and use ammo for both.
An argument for more guns an argument we all can get behind...Lever & Wheel gun using the same ammo sounds like an idea that should be set in motion...get on it.

The .30-30 Lever Action is iconic; as is the .45-70 Govt.. The .45 Long Colt is another Lever Action icon.

Older walnut stocks are more desireable to some. The pre-64 Winchesters are at the top of the "to have" lists for many enthusiasts and collectors.

Hex barrels are sought-after too.

Why not have one of everything....

Actually, the iconic handgun/lever-gun combo in the 44-40 and 38-40 to a lesser extent, 45 Colt lever guns is a fairly recent thing comparatively.

Flymph, I just noticed the recoil energy on a .357 magnum rifle is between 4.5 to 5.7, and shooting .38's is 1.7. So, if I am understanding correctly the recoil energy of a .357 magnum rifle is less than a .243. Anyone, know if this is correct?

Just from my own subjective impression, I'd expect 357 mag in any lever gun to be noticeably less than 243...which in itself in bolt actions have never been a problem . Haven't checked charts lately but would think their terminal ballistcs to be considerably different

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top