JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
By the way...since I-1639 passed, I have purchased two semi-auto handguns and neither dealer has asked to see a certificate or any other proof of "training." Not saying you should lie to the government....

While filling out the federal form, one helpful salesman did ask if I planned to vote Democrat, then laughed and quickly told me that wasn't an actual question on the form, so I didn't have to answer it.

1639 did not impose any requirements on handgun purchases.

Then I wonder why the dealer had me complete the State form that was developed post I-1639? And had to wait 10 days before taking possession? I did have to agree to the State accessing my medical history etc. There was one item on the form related to semi-auto rifles but it didn't apply, so the dealer directed me to ignore it. Could have been the result of one of the other 11 or 12 ridiculous gun laws Washington passed and the governor signed around the same time.

Some text from I-1639 (bold underlines added by me):
(((5))) (6)(a) At the time of applying for the purchase of a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle, the purchaser shall sign in triplicate and deliver to the dealer an application containing:

(i) His or her full name, residential address, date and place of birth, race, and gender;
(ii) The date and hour of the application; (iii) The applicant's driver's license number or state identification card number;
(iv) A description of the pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle including the make, model, caliber and manufacturer's number if available at the time of applying for the purchase of a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle. If the manufacturer's number is not available at the time of applying for the purchase of a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle, the application may be processed, but delivery of the pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle to the purchaser may not occur unless the manufacturer's number is recorded on the application by the dealer and transmitted to the chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser resides, or the state pursuant to subsection (3)(b) of this section; ((and))

(v) A statement that the purchaser is eligible to purchase and possess a ((pistol)) firearm under ((RCW 9.41.040)) state and federal law; and
(vi) If purchasing a semiautomatic assault rifle, a statement by the applicant under penalty of perjury that the applicant has completed a recognized firearm safety training program within the last five years, as required by subsection (2) of this section."

There's also that damnable HIPPA waiver that's just an invitation for doxxing... and we still have people out there who think the waiver is only a one-time-at-purchase rather than waiving for the rest of your life.

F that noise, #F1639AndAllWhoSupportedIt

Then I wonder why the dealer had me complete the State form that was developed post I-1639? And had to wait 10 days before taking possession? I did have to agree to the State accessing my medical history etc. There was one item on the form related to semi-auto rifles but it didn't apply, so the dealer directed me to ignore it. Could have been the result of one of the other 11 or 12 ridiculous gun laws Washington passed and the governor signed around the same time.
This keeps confusing people due to a couple things happening at the same time. WA has had a "waiting period" for hand guns many decades now. Used to be 5 days then went to 10. Up until recently if you had a WA CPL they waved the wait. When the Fed system went in the Feds told WA they needed to set up their own to do the checks. As with the real ID the state just kept dragging their feet. Feds finally said that's it, you had your chance. So now the CPL does nothing. The FFL has to wait for the CLEO of the buyer to tell them it's OK to proceed. They have 10 Buis. days to do so. It often takes longer than this now. Dealer can let the gun go after the 10 but some will and some will not. All this on hand guns had ZERO to do with I-1639. Since the Feds dumped doing the checks for WA at the same time many keep thinking it was all part of the same new law. Again all this is at the feet of voters. We still see gun owners who had no idea either of these things have happened until they go to buy a gun. Then they of course get mad. The fact they had no idea either of these happened shows how much attention they pay and how they vote.

That text above is the entire code section, and the pistol provisions were not added by 1639. There was a different law which removed the dealer's ability to accept a CPL in lieu of the "proceed" message from local LE.

Or maybe Oregon? I have purchased rifles in Oregon, while a resident of Washington, with zero issues. But the last purchase was three years ago and laws do change....

I used to buy Ruger 10/22s in OR.

But on my last trip to Bi-Mart in OR. there was a sign. It said that they would NOT sell rifles to WA residents.:eek: I don't know if they also meant bolt action rifles too. But, that was only at Bi-Mart. Other stores may allow a purchase with proper certification. And....as for the extra $25 fee/tax (I-1639), I don't know.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....as a WA resident I (once, prior to I-1639) also tried to buy a bear AR receiver in OR. It was a NO SALE due to the receiver being an "other". In other words.....the receiver was treated like a pistol. Thus, I had to have it transferred to a WA FFL before I could take possession. That process got expensive really fast.

Last Edited:
Or maybe Oregon? I have purchased rifles in Oregon, while a resident of Washington, with zero issues. But the last purchase was three years ago and laws do change....
Last I heard local guys don't even want to touch that noise...
They should have included a class in gun safety for high schoolers, maybe that'd help with "accidents" in the least.

You can buy a bolt action rifle in Oregon as a WA resident just not semi auto. Pistols and ARs must be done in Washington thru an FFL. As a WA resident I recommend getting a AR pistol then just put a 16" upper on it. Also I agree the sporting systems class is the best option since it's free I took it just to get it and most FFLs I went to doesn't care for the certificate since it's all common sense and basic gun handling.

As a WA resident, I recommend just buying a stripped lower which bypasses all the BS, buying an assembled upper and DIY'ing.

The more of us have the tools and knowledge and the more we spread it, the harder it gets for Turd Ferguson and his ring of billionaire kiddie-diddlers to try to put the genie back in the bottle...

EDIT: I wonder what dealings the Turd may have had with the late and unlamented Jeffrey Epstein?

Last Edited:
Any semi auto rifle in Washington State is now considered an "assault weapon". I took the mandatory training course, but just could not stomach the rest of it. Was looking at a Ruger 10/22 but end up buying a Henry lever action .22 ... which I am totally happy with.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top