JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am trying a new carry method this year for my Ruger Gunsight Scout. I reversed the sling and will be carrying it inverted (muzzle down).
It seems to be quicker off the shoulder and I can use the small part of the sling that is now in front for wrist wrap when shooting.

Ground is not a safe direction
I agree 100%. You should try take a video of your lower leg and feet and you will be horrified how many times they get in the line of fire, when you are not paying attention.

Also, if you crouch or sit, if not careful, the muzzle may get stuck in the ground. Now you may have a muzzle obstruction! Could ruin your whole day!

I have never understood how the ground (a solid and KNOWN backstop) is a "bad" way to point a gun vs in the "air" where you have no control where you bullet goes................

Keep ground in context.
An electrician
Ground is good, a safe place to put straying electricity
Ground is bad, electrician is part of the current path to ground

An airplane
Ground is good, it's where the fuel truck is
Ground is bad, when airplane fails to stay in the middle of the sky

Shooter
Ground is good when it backstops a bullet
Ground is bad when it plugs the barrel and a bullet tries to fly
or when shooter's foot or leg or buddy gets in the way of a neglegent discharge.

Safety on and finger away from trigger , muzzle pointed down is what they taught 50 years ago. I think it still is good advice unless perhaps you are on patrol in the sand box.
Frack.... I re-read op and realize rifle slung. I prefer muzzle up and I still use a sling for off hand. I'd have a tough time breaking that habit.
Brutus Out

I CC every day, how many times a day do I muzzle sweep my body parts, as I go about my daily routine? If you are honest with yourself, like I am, you know it is a bunch. As I sit here typing at my computer desk, my right foot is under my Sigs muzzle.

I see nothing wrong with carrying a rifle muzzle down and I have been doing that for many years. My kids carry rifles on a 3 point sling, muzzle down as well.
It is not just for mall ninjas, cops, soldiers or video game junkies.
It is a very practical way to carry a rifle, imho. It frees up your hands, makes carrying a pack easier and the rifle is not constantly trying to fall off your shoulder, etc...

The 1 and only time I have ever got dirt in a barrel, was out duck hunting and the shotgun was being carried muzzle up over my shoulder on a sling, as I was climbing up a bank.

Keep your booger picker off the bang switch and the safety on until ready to fire and all will be well, no matter how you choose to carry.

I CC every day, how many times a day do I muzzle sweep my body parts, as I go about my daily routine? If you are honest with yourself, like I am, you know it is a bunch. As I sit here typing at my computer desk, my right foot is under my Sigs muzzle.

I see nothing wrong with carrying a rifle muzzle down and I have been doing that for many years. My kids carry rifles on a 3 point sling, muzzle down as well.
It is a very practical way to carry a rifle, imho. It frees up your hands, makes carrying a pack easier and the rifle is not constantly trying to fall off your shoulder, etc...

The 1 and only time I have ever got dirt in a barrel, was out duck hunting and the shotgun was being carried muzzle up over my shoulder on a sling, as I was climbing up a bank.

Keep your booger picker off the bang switch and the safety on until ready to fire and all will be well, no matter how you choose to carry.

Thanks for your reply.

This rifle has a flash hider so getting dirt in the barrel is unlikely plus the muzzle is above my knee. It feels like the stock of the rifle will be better protected under my arm instead behind my butt.

What is a safe muzzle direction? I would define that as not pointed at a person or a hard surface that could cause ricochet.

I think the uber-purist, RSO types among us rigidly adhere to one way and one way only. Fine, I prefer to look at things in context. If I was walking on concrete the ground would not be a safe direction but I generally don't hunt on concrete. When walking in the woods I need to change carry position frequently. Cradled, hanging from my hand & barrel up over the shoulder are all valid carry methods.

Also, how many of us carry a sidearm in a belt holster while hunting? That loaded 44 is covering your knee, calf, etc with every step.

I generally carry muzzle down slung off side with my left/off hand gripping the forestock in a firing position. It keeps the long gun from clanking the strong-side carry handgun, allows the handgun to be drawn quickly (the rifle is slung) and allows the rifle to be deployed instantly.. probably the fastest of all sling carries since your hand is already on it.

I generally carry muzzle down slung off side with my left/off hand gripping the forestock in a firing position. It keeps the long gun from clanking the strong-side carry handgun, allows the handgun to be drawn quickly (the rifle is slung) and allows the rifle to be deployed instantly.. probably the fastest of all sling carries since your hand is already on it.

I hadn't thought about interference with my belt equipment. Up until this year I was carrying cross draw. I have a new sidearm that I will carry strong side so I think I will have to try your method.

Thanks

I carry my hunting rifle the same way when hunting. Left Side Down. :s0155:

It doesn't point at me or my partners. The barrel doesn't touch the ground.
It is a lot faster, smoother and easier to pull up when I see game.
And it is a lot easier to wrap the sling around my arm.
And it is not on the same side as my pistol.

I don't walk around with my AK much, but if I did, it would be the same way.

Thing I found is when carrying muzzle down, carry it on your weak shoulder, also, even when hunting I keep the mag loaded and the chamber empty. When hunting I spend most of my time walking around, not shooting. Hunting accidents don't happen with unloaded guns (unless you count falling down/off something). It's exceedingly rare that you will miss a shot because you have to cycle the bolt, and if you did, that means you were probably taking a shot that's not cogent with good marksmanship.

That said, I've always found the traditional slings on most rifles to be massively inferior to the 3-point style slings found on most military rifles, this allows you to carry at a "low ready" even if your hands are not on the gun. I've largely adopted this style of carry for hunting use, and found it's much easier to keep my gun out of the dirt, out of snags, and at the ready.

Yep, this.
Being fairly tall, when out hunting/shooting with folks I ask if they wouldn't mind carrying muzzle down. From vertical to ready they could "potentially" sweep my head, neck and chest where as a down port carry they'd sweep my feet, legs and groin before they would be at the ready.
Id have a standing chance getting shot (potentially) down low rather than up high.

My opinion is that whether your muzzle is in the air or pointed at the ground, keeping your finger off the trigger is the important part. I don't want a bullet flying to God-knows-where and I also have no interest in one passing through or next to my foot or leg.

I believe we all need to carry the way it suits us and we all need to explore the different ways(no matter how improbable) a ND could happen. Once we have weighed all options, the safest and most practical carry option is the one we should all take.

That's my opinion. One time I shot a 22lr revolver through my front window because I checked the side of the cylinder and didn't take into effect the recessed cylinder. That is my only ND. I am not proud of it, but the most irresponsible thing I could do is to put my pride before my own safety and that of my family.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top