JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I ordered a 3 pack from Ron trying to find a replacement for the rub I've been using for almost 6 years. Well I finally got to a weekend where I could give them a test as well as trying out a Cherry/Chipotle sauce that sounded phenominal for pork.. So without further ado...

Here are the Ribs slathered and rubbed down coming to room temp before going in the smoker...

Scan-1.jpg
In order top to bottom... Hint of Houston, Original, In The House

Scan1-1.jpg
I started to take pics as I was foiling them and managed to get one shot that turned out.. This is the rack with Hint of Houston on it

Scan2-1.jpg
Fresh out of the smoker for a brief rest while I get the rest of dinner ready to go.

Scan4-1.jpg
In The House with Stubbs Spicy

Scan5-1.jpg
Original with the Cherry/Chipotle Sauce on the left, Hint of Houston with Stubbs original

Scan6-1.jpg
Wifes Plate, one of each with cornbread and scalloped potatoes

Scan7-1.jpg
My plate with a couple more of the Cherry/Chipotle glazed.

All in all I think they came out GREAT.. Kudo's to Ron for turning out an exceptional product. I think I'm stuck between the Original and Hint of Houston for a new favorite with a definite lean towards the Houston over the Original... For those that don't like a rub that is overpoweringly salty you have to try his rubs...

Forgot the Cherry/Chipotle recipe since I modified the original...

1/3c Smucker Cherry Preserves I would probably raise this up to 1/2c unless I can find a better preserve with more cherry flavor to it.
1/3c Ketchup
1/4-1/2tsp Thyme (Use sparingly it can over power the sauce)
1/2tsp Ground Cumin
3-4Tbsp Cider Vinegar (To Taste)
1 Chipotle in Adobo
1tsp Adobo Sauce
1/4c Brown Sugar
2Tbsp Dark Amber Maple Syrup I really couldn't taste the Maple coming through would probably drop this.
1/4c Water
1/2tsp Smoke Paprika
1Tbsp Honey
2Tbsp Butter
1Tsp Minced Onion
1Tsp Minced Garlic

Combine all together in a sauce pan and simmer until done...
Remove from heat and let cool slightly... Put in food processor or blender and blend til smooth.. 10 or so 5 sec pulses... Strain remaining chunks and bottle...
Let sit in fridge over night at least so flavors meld together

Edited to fix transcrition errors and add some notes

As luck would have it thats where these came from. They were on sale for $2.47/lb was a great buy... Almost picked up a brisket too but they were closing so I didn't have time to sort through them.

Those briskets.... so fantastic.

Now I just need to figure out where to buy hardwood chunks in Eugene... haven't fired up my smoker since I moved here.

I saw the rubs, made me hungry. Again... then I saw the sauce come out and I realized the difference between the two of us. Either way I'm sure it's delicious.

I just wish now I had more space/time to do these items.

Ok, now I've got three racks marinading in a weak brine made of watered-down frozen oj, the juice and zest from a big fat mandarin orange, a few tablespoons of salt, some pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne, and a bit of cider vinegar and oil. Seasoning is light, because I'm going to take them out tonight, dry 'em off, and cover them with this rub that I just came up with:

(listed by decreasing quantity)
-salt
-smoked paprika
-sugar
-dried orange peel
-coriander seed
-dried thyme
-fresh mandarin orange zest
-dried rosemary
-black pepper
-white pepper
-cayenne pepper

(everything will be ground as finely as my blender can get it)

Bi-Mart didn't have the huge hardwood chunks I like, so I just picked up some alder chips to experiment with. Not going to need a ton of smoke for this recipe.

Will mop with a mixture of melted butter, juice and zest from another mandarin, and some of the marinade. Rest of the marinade will be in the drip pan.

The sauce, as you might imagine, will be pretty orange-y too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top