JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in '87-'88 I bought a 92F (Italian made) whilst we were still issued the 1911 (in Germany) because I wanted to be ahead of the curve before they hit the TOE.

They are a nice shooting pistol, and are heavy enough that the recoil is quite mild. I preferred my Berretta over the Sig's (that were available for PSD duty). I'd be surprised if you hated it after you shot it.

BTW- 124-gr +P JHP is a decently potent round compared to the "old school" 115-gr FMJ that is/was issued.

Hey, Last week I found a deal on Beretta. There was a store with "$100 off and some accessories. I got the pistol for 400 bucks and a range bag, Beretta ear muffs, glasses and some other stuff. Anyway, I too once owned one way back when and it shot pretty ok. I ran across this sale and decided to get another. The thing is, this new one has some things that I didn't remember. It doesn't seem as tight as my original and also there is this little plunger thing that sticks up on the top of the slide when the trigger is almost fully depressed. I'm thinking it's a new safety upgrade. Do you know what this is for? I'm almost certain it wasn't on my original. I don't know how it shoots yet, I'm headed to the range this weekend.

If your talking about the small rectangle-ish bit that moves up slightly as your pulling the trigger, that's the firing pin catch and it locks the firing pin in place until the trigger is actually depressed.

Yes my '86-'87 vintage 92F has that. ;)

image.jpg

Carried one everywhere in the military and all over the world after we turned in our 1911s. One of a few people that remembers when we still had both. :p

Anything made by Beretta works as designed. Never had a failure of a part or any other failure. Works every time the BOOM switch is pressed. The factory where these are made has machines that could, if they needed to, measure the width of a housefly's wing.

And they are the 2nd oldest manufacturer of anything. That is a pretty good reputation.

I shot Speed Steel today. One poor dude on our squad was shooting a model 92 (m9) He had a very, bad day.

The Baretta was not extracting the spent casings reliably.

Maybe it will be fixed by replacing the extractor ...

I shot Speed Steel today. One poor dude on our squad was shooting a model 92 (m9) He had a very, bad day.

The Baretta was not extracting the spent casings reliably.

Maybe it will be fixed by replacing the extractor ...

:s0064:

yeah, don't buy a Baretta. They all jam, all the time... fix or repair daily to get two shots out then repeat. that's what was meant by above...

:s0064:

yeah, don't buy a Baretta. They all jam, all the time... fix or repair daily to get two shots out then repeat. that's what was meant by above...
I know two guys with 92F's that were funky and jammed often. My wife's PX4 storm has been flawless through near 500 rounds. I am very happy with the reliably thus far. The other 92F's couldn't get through 20-30 rounds without jamming.

PHFfffffff ... OHhh Ya.. that makes so much sense .. to Blame the Pistol .. it's the 1st thing a person does who, Cant Shoot, Does not 'shoot' know his Pistol, Does not know his Ammo .

Guy was probably just new shooter, Limp-Wristing and can't shoot, with shooting week cheapass target loads and did not Know his Pistol & Ammo . ( Seriously people ) .. never hurts also to 'Learn' your pistol . Because 'IF ' the shooter actually KNEW HIS PISTOL .&. KNEW HIS AMMO, Before registering and shooting in the Speed Steal Match . He would have 100% known ( His Pistol ) would not perform well .

I'm thinking a jamming 92 is due to very very poor maintenance. They are a VERY reliable platform. my 2c.

PHFfffffff ... OHhh Ya.. that makes so much sense .. to Blame the Pistol .. it's the 1st thing a person does who, Cant Shoot, Does not 'shoot' know his Pistol, Does not know his Ammo .

Guy was probably just new shooter, Limp-Wristing and can't shoot, with shooting week cheapass target loads and did not Know his Pistol & Ammo . ( Seriously people ) .. never hurts also to 'Learn' your pistol . Because 'IF ' the shooter actually KNEW HIS PISTOL .&. KNEW HIS AMMO, Before registering and shooting in the Speed Steal Match . He would have 100% known ( His Pistol ) would not perform well .

Both of the 92F's I had trouble with were owned by life long gun owners who cleaned and trouble shot their functioning issues. We had no other problems with any of the automatics we were shooting that day. If none of us were limp-wristing the HK USP 45, it's hard to imagine we'd be limp-wrisiting a 92F. I am not trying to argue, just giving my first hand knowledge.

I loved my civilian 92FS however I traded it for a G19, which I adore even more. Seems to fit my hand a little better. Either way the 92FS was a very reliable platform.

Now, if we're talking the M9 we're issued in the Army... I bubbleguming hate that gun.

Last Edited:
I loved my civilian 92FS however I traded it for a G19, which I adore even more. Seems to fit my hand a little better. Either way the 92FS was a very reliable platform.

Now, if we're talking the 92's we're issued in the Army... I bubbleguming hate that gun.
Wife was in the military (MP) and she hated the M9 she was issued so much so she wanted nothing to do with Beretta in the civilian life. But once she handled the PX4 she changed her mind. She loves it!

Wife was in the military (MP) and she hated the M9 she was issued so much so she wanted nothing to do with Beretta in the civilian life. But once she handled the PX4 she changed her mind. She loves it!

It probably has something to do with soldiers neglecting their issued M9s and the Army neglecting to replace / repair parts. I mean they've all been used in several deployments over the last, what, three decades or so? Unreliable, trashy pieces nowadays.

Civilian wise, they're beautiful. Maybe the 92FS is just a better platform than the M9. Honestly I'm not sure, specc wise, what the differences are. They both look and feel alike, and fire the same cartridge.

It probably has something to do with soldiers neglecting their issued M9s and the Army neglecting to replace / repair parts. I mean they've all been used in several deployments over the last, what, three decades or so? Unreliable, trashy pieces nowadays.

Civilian wise, they're beautiful. Maybe the 92FS is just a better platform than the M9. Honestly I'm not sure, specc wise, what the differences are. They both look and feel alike, and fire the same cartridge.
As far as I know The only real differences are in the 3 dot sights.
I have used numerous M9's on my ship and never had an issue with any of them. I suspect these defective m9's we are talking about are one offs probably due to maintenance issues.

here is a comparison vid

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads