JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The last armed military unit I was in still had 1911s when I left. So I've never even touched a 92 variant. As a die hard CZ guy, I look at Berettas and just don't see how anyone could shoot them well.

I don't want to hate a gun I've never fired. Is there a range in greater Portland that rents these ugly beasts?

Back in '87-'88 I bought a 92F (Italian made) whilst we were still issued the 1911 (in Germany) because I wanted to be ahead of the curve before they hit the TOE.

They are a nice shooting pistol, and are heavy enough that the recoil is quite mild. I preferred my Berretta over the Sig's (that were available for PSD duty). I'd be surprised if you hated it after you shot it.

BTW- 124-gr +P JHP is a decently potent round compared to the "old school" 115-gr FMJ that is/was issued.

The last armed military unit I was in still had 1911s when I left. So I've never even touched a 92 variant. As a die hard CZ guy, I look at Berettas and just don't see how anyone could shoot them well.

Throw your old CZ pistols into the garbage and get the much newer Beretta PX4 Storm. It has really nice, smooth DA and SA trigger pulls. Awesome rotating barrel too.

Even Portland's Yankee Marshall carries one now. And he owns just about every handgun made.

px4_3181b.jpg

px4_3179b.jpg

I should point that while the video is from the Yankee Marshall, the pics are of my PX4 Storm.

Like him, I also converted my PX4 Storm from type F to type G ( decocker only ). I also put on Beretta's fully adjustable sights, which can be ordered from the Beretta USA online store.

There is no need for a safety on a DA/SA gun, in my opinion.

Shoot, I always thought that he was an Oregonian. Did not know he was on the other side of the river.

I must admit that CZ guns are handsome and feel and shoot great in many ways.

I'm not even discussing the PX4 Storm at this point in time. I am looking at full size service pistols. The PX4 is in the same boat as a Glock 19/CZ P-01 or P-07. I am sure it's a fine pistol. But my interest is more in guns likely to win the current competition to replace the M9 (Full size Beretta).

Beretta has an upgraded version of the M9 in the competition. But it still has the same ergonomics as the M9. I am particularly interested in the slide mounted safety/decocker. The gun looks "stupid" to me and I want to find one I can shoot before I dismiss it. This is more about learning more about that guns that are out there than picking one to buy. I'm just trying to learn more about modern firearms.

For now, I am very dedicated to CZ's because the finest, readily available, USPSA Production division pistol out there is a CZ. If they don't have someone paying them to shoot something else, all of the top guys shoot Tanfoglios (A unicorn gun) or CZ SP-01 Shadows.

My larger carry gun is a Glock 19 because Trijicon doesn't make their HD line of night sights for CZ's yet. Seeing that Trijicon does make those sights for the Storm has me interested. Does anyone know where I can rent a Storm to try out?

My big beef with my Glock 19 is that it's not a DA/SA gun. Since I put 10k rounds a year through a DA/SA guns for competition and practice, carrying a gun with that action makes sense. I also hate the lack of a true beavertail on the Glock. While I can draw and fire the Glock quickly and accurately, a 4 inch barrel DA/SA gun with a better grip angle and beavertail would be preferable.

But my interest is more in guns likely to win the current competition to replace the M9 (Full size Beretta).

In that case you need to wait another year, and see what guns actually end up in the competition, if not wait to see what gun is selected. There are a lot of indications that the Army may dump the 9mm caliber even. You could end up with a gun that is not even the correct caliber.

I want to find one I can shoot before I dismiss it. This is more about learning more about that guns that are out there than picking one to buy. I'm just trying to learn more about modern firearms.

That is rather ironic for you to say, since you dismissed the PX4 Storm so out of hand with no real discussion at all, much less a trip to a range to shoot one. That seems inconsistent with wanting to learn more about modern firearms.

In that case you need to wait another year, and see what guns actually end up in the competition, if not wait to see what gun is selected. There are a lot of indications that the Army may dump the 9mm caliber even. You could end up with a gun that is not even the correct caliber.

That is rather ironic for you to say, since you dismissed the PX4 Storm so out of hand with no real discussion at all, much less a trip to a range to shoot one. That seems inconsistent with wanting to learn more about modern firearms.
1. I know that the final decision is a way out. When I shoot guns with safeties, 1911's, CZs and Sigs so far, I like to have my strong hand thumb ride the safety. That isn't going to work on the M9 and the picture of the gun that Beretta is putting into the competition appears to be the same configuration. I'd like to see how it works.

2. I haven't dismissed the PX4. I bought a Glock 19 before I ever owned a CZ. It meets my needs. I have a lot of reading and rounds down range since I bought that Glock. As stated above, I am interested in a PX4 because I can put the night sights that I like on it and the manual of arms for it is similar to the CZ's I intend to practice with over 10k rounds in the next year. Anyone know where I can find one to rent to test?

I don't have anything against Berettas. I'd like to shoot a 92FS or similar, just to see what they feel like. If I can find a PX4 to test, I might buy one as carry/home defense gun.

The Beretta M9/92 is one of my favorite semi-auto pistols. Very smooth, easy to disassemble, accurate, and just nice over all. I even carried one for a while...it was huge. Thinking about it now, I want another one!

P1030803.JPG
For now, I am very dedicated to CZ's because the finest, readily available, USPSA Production division pistol out there is a CZ. If they don't have someone paying them to shoot something else, all of the top guys shoot Tanfoglios (A unicorn gun) or CZ SP-01 Shadows.

I'm not in any way a guy that will want to or could compete in any hand gun competition, but I know what I like. I wanted a .40 and the choice was between the Berretta and the CZ 75, CZ won because I thought the trigger was better. Slide to frame moves like oiled glass!

Latter on I went unicorn hunting. I went to Kieth's, placed an order, put down $50.00 and right close to 6 months later got a call.

I don't want to hate a gun I've never fired. Is there a range in greater Portland that rents these ugly beasts?
-
I like and owned CZ and ( to me ) it's same/same . No need for you to own both if your already a CZ guy . The CZ is a good pistol .
Beretta 92FS . is a respectable work horse not a race horse . but Anyone can shoot well with anything they put some time behind . So you really should shoot it before making a decision based on purely visual appeal . I shoot own berreta 92fs stainless for Loooong Time and stay fairly current on it . It's worked over a little but not pimp-tricked race . In honesty I don't ever see myself every getting rid of it .

2 kinds of guys. (imho) .. either your a DAO, & Double-Single lover, or your Not . DAO/Double-single triggers are hated by most (you cant blame them) who get spoiled on a nice .45acp triggers or aftermarket Glock . I am a DAO guy/luver and like my 92 but If I wanted to shoot a Cadillac by choice then I would be shooting the Sig. DAK . it 'Is' the top dog .

The Beretta 92's . It is not a good daily carry choice for CC .
You can do some work to clean them up for a little more high speed running. but it is not a high-speed Comp. worthy if your looking to be #1 .
it is a little funny design, as it is not very technique conducive and shooter friendly for a thumbs-up, grip-hold .
It's accurate with good natural POA with sight plain & grip .
It's 'Very' comfortable pistol to stroll around the pits and bang steel all day or make dailey duty pistol that you could bet your life on .
92 Runs like a Champ even when it filthy as a pig .
It eats everything , wide range of ammo you feed it and spits it out .
It's 'Solid' proven & accepted world wide pistol design built by a respectable factory, backing it for customer service .

CZ good pistol but If your dead set on spending money to buy 92 as a keeper . I can let you run mine till your tired, shooting on some steel before you buy . (imho) if your a CZ luver and also DAO/Double-single guy . you will be buying one after you put an hour behind it .

I am clearly not communicating well. I don't want to buy a 92. I just want to put a few rounds down range with one. It's a very successful Mil/LEO pistol and I'd like to shoot one. My only desire for a barrel over 4" long is for recreation. My SP-01 Shadow, Glock 34 and Dan Wesson 1911. meet that need.

On the other hand, the PX4 Storm is piquing my interest for a carry/home defense gun. Its ergonomics look better than a Glock. It can use Trijicon HD night sights and it's DA/SA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top