JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking to get a suppressor as I have some spare money. I'll be the only one who has access to it (anyone can use it if I'm there, correct?)

I've heard that it can be a pain to get a signature from the CLEO in multnomah county. As far as I can find, as of 2014 they will sign it, but it costs $35. I've heard forming trust can be beneficial, especially if you are buying multiple NFA items, though I don't plan on it. I've heard willmaker is alright but a lot of people seem to recommend nwgunlawgroup. I'd prefer using the willmaker since it's cheaper. I just want to make sure everything is legit and easy as possible.

Edit: also what is the best shop in the area? I know Keith's and Northwest Armory pretty good. Also, what's the wait time like, can you efile them at both places? (Sorry if that is a dumb question)

Last Edited:
I've been looking to get a suppressor as I have some spare money. I'll be the only one who has access to it (anyone can use it if I'm there, correct?)
Yes, anyone can use the can as long as you are with them when they use it.

I've heard forming trust can be beneficial, especially if you are buying multiple NFA items, though I don't plan on it.
The benefits of having a NFA trust are: No CLEO signature required, no finger prints required, other trustees of the trust can use the NFA item even when you aren't with them, and a trust is required if you want to e-file.

As for only planning on 1 NFA item; That's what they ALL think. It all starts with a suppressor. Then you need a second can to go shooting with a buddy because it defeats the purpose of having a can if your friend isn't shooting suppressed too. It's all a slippery slope to NFA stamp collecting.

I've heard willmaker is alright but a lot of people seem to recommend nwgunlawgroup. I'd prefer using the willmaker since it's cheaper. I just want to make sure everything is legit and easy as possible.
Sure, Willmaker produces a trust that BAFTE will accept, but I don't think it is the best choice. I went with a bronze trust from NWgunlawgroup. I did a little editing on my. Notably changing the name of the trust to a much shorter name for when I Form1 a SBR or suppressor

Edit: also what is the best shop in the area? I know Keith's and Northwest Armory pretty good. Also, what's the wait time like, can you efile them at both places? (Sorry if that is a dumb question)
In my opinion, Jason at JCWeaponry is the best source for suppressors in the portland metro area. His prices are almost always less than MSRP and if he doesn't have what you want, he can get it. NW Armory has a good selection, but they do charge MSRP on all their cans. I can't really comment on Kurt's due to lack of experience with them.

SilencerCo has a trust program you can buy called EasyTrust. That might be a great way to go.

And I would definitely go with a trust vs. cleo. Less of a PITA if you find yourself in a Non-Permissive Environment.

And it always starts with one. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the CLEO can be a person other than the Sheriff, such as a city chief of police, a district attorney, a judge, or even the OSP Superintendent (I don't think he'd sign off but legally he can, if I'm not mistaken)

When you go to pick up the suppressor, you will be made to fill out a form 4473 regardless of using a trust or as an individual, and that does require a thumbprint on the form
I have used Curt's for all of my cans and a form 1 for an SBR and couldn't be more happier with their service and prices.
They include a free adapter with each purchase and that is an extra $85.00 savings.

Yes, anyone can use the can as long as you are with them when they use it.

The benefits of having a NFA trust are: No CLEO signature required, no finger prints required, other trustees of the trust can use the NFA item even when you aren't with them, and a trust is required if you want to e-file.

As for only planning on 1 NFA item; That's what they ALL think. It all starts with a suppressor. Then you need a second can to go shooting with a buddy because it defeats the purpose of having a can if your friend isn't shooting suppressed too. It's all a slippery slope to NFA stamp collecting.

Sure, Willmaker produces a trust that BAFTE will accept, but I don't think it is the best choice. I went with a bronze trust from NWgunlawgroup. I did a little editing on my. Notably changing the name of the trust to a much shorter name for when I Form1 a SBR or suppressor

In my opinion, Jason at JCWeaponry is the best source for suppressors in the portland metro area. His prices are almost always less than MSRP and if he doesn't have what you want, he can get it. NW Armory has a good selection, but they do charge MSRP on all their cans. I can't really comment on Kurt's due to lack of experience with them.

+1 on the Bronze Trust from NWGunLawGroup and for Jason at JCWeaponry, he's usually the lowest price and he is always trying to save you money on accessories. I would go the trust route and get your NFA items ASAP. I hear the ATF will make a decision in December about making those with Trusts go the CLEO route as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top