1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Trust vs LEO (Mult. co.)

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by mokthraka, Oct 16, 2015.

  1. mokthraka

    mokthraka Portland OR New Member

    Likes Received:
    I've been looking to get a suppressor as I have some spare money. I'll be the only one who has access to it (anyone can use it if I'm there, correct?)

    I've heard that it can be a pain to get a signature from the CLEO in multnomah county. As far as I can find, as of 2014 they will sign it, but it costs $35. I've heard forming trust can be beneficial, especially if you are buying multiple NFA items, though I don't plan on it. I've heard willmaker is alright but a lot of people seem to recommend nwgunlawgroup. I'd prefer using the willmaker since it's cheaper. I just want to make sure everything is legit and easy as possible.

    Edit: also what is the best shop in the area? I know Keith's and Northwest Armory pretty good. Also, what's the wait time like, can you efile them at both places? (Sorry if that is a dumb question)
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. PDXSparky

    PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Yes, anyone can use the can as long as you are with them when they use it.

    The benefits of having a NFA trust are: No CLEO signature required, no finger prints required, other trustees of the trust can use the NFA item even when you aren't with them, and a trust is required if you want to e-file.

    As for only planning on 1 NFA item; That's what they ALL think. It all starts with a suppressor. Then you need a second can to go shooting with a buddy because it defeats the purpose of having a can if your friend isn't shooting suppressed too. It's all a slippery slope to NFA stamp collecting.

    Sure, Willmaker produces a trust that BAFTE will accept, but I don't think it is the best choice. I went with a bronze trust from NWgunlawgroup. I did a little editing on my. Notably changing the name of the trust to a much shorter name for when I Form1 a SBR or suppressor

    In my opinion, Jason at JCWeaponry is the best source for suppressors in the portland metro area. His prices are almost always less than MSRP and if he doesn't have what you want, he can get it. NW Armory has a good selection, but they do charge MSRP on all their cans. I can't really comment on Kurt's due to lack of experience with them.
  3. Deebow

    Deebow Portland Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    SilencerCo has a trust program you can buy called EasyTrust. That might be a great way to go.

    And I would definitely go with a trust vs. cleo. Less of a PITA if you find yourself in a Non-Permissive Environment.

    And it always starts with one. :rolleyes:
  4. R3dundantC

    R3dundantC Roseburgish Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

    Likes Received:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the CLEO can be a person other than the Sheriff, such as a city chief of police, a district attorney, a judge, or even the OSP Superintendent (I don't think he'd sign off but legally he can, if I'm not mistaken)
  5. Barefoot African

    Barefoot African Saint Helens Oregon Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Just done one through Oregon Arms an ammunition (503) 352-9951. As trouble free as possible. Pricing better than anything else I could find.

    Contrary to others I did not use a trust. The long term stability regarding trusts for NFA items will probably be just fine, but life is too short to spend defending such things in court if the rules change regarding trusts. This way what is mine is mine.... no grey areas.

    Anyway, Sheriff Dickerson, in Columbia County has no issue with paperwork. Slick and min. wait time. CCW not required but doesn't hurt either, when it comes to the last stage of state transfer.
  6. jbett98

    jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

    Likes Received:
    When you go to pick up the suppressor, you will be made to fill out a form 4473 regardless of using a trust or as an individual, and that does require a thumbprint on the form
    I have used Curt's for all of my cans and a form 1 for an SBR and couldn't be more happier with their service and prices.
    They include a free adapter with each purchase and that is an extra $85.00 savings.
  7. PDXSparky

    PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    That's sounds correct to me.
  8. djaziatic

    djaziatic Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

    Likes Received:
    +1 on the Bronze Trust from NWGunLawGroup and for Jason at JCWeaponry, he's usually the lowest price and he is always trying to save you money on accessories. I would go the trust route and get your NFA items ASAP. I hear the ATF will make a decision in December about making those with Trusts go the CLEO route as well.