JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I checked it out with this in mind, and S. Dakota seems to be the easiest to declare residency in - if you are retired. You don't have to actually live there permanently and they only have a sales tax. You should go there once and get a state ID (like a drivers license) and while there setup a mailing address.

There is currently no BGC on private sales, etc.:

Gun laws in South Dakota - Wikipedia

But you can't continue to work here and declare residency in another state unless you actually live there (there are a lot of people who live in Vancouver and work in Portland, but they pay Oregon income taxes).

If you are not working here, then it is possible to declare residency in another state and have a part time residency here. My parents did that after they retired - a lot of people do that. To stay strictly legal though, you have to spend more time out of Oregon (or WA) than you do inside the state. My father was very strict about that - not coming back to Oregon from Nevada/Arizona until he had spent 6 months and a day out of state.

My plan is to do something like that when I retire - I may come back periodically (my parents sometimes came back for XMas/Thanksgiving) but spend the winter out of state (hunting in the SW, traveling overseas, etc.) and then coming back to "visit" in the spring, summer and early fall.

That is why I was kind of hoping that Clinton would lose - I was thinking that if she was able she would get a national BGC law passed and then it would be impossible to "sell" guns without them going into a de-facto registration system or to sell them out of Oregon's system off the books while in S. Dakota.

Idaho is okay - but it has an income tax (not on SSI, but they do on other retirement income from a 401K or IRA).

Nevada now has a BGC law that they just passed.

MAN, this ROCKS. Thanks for posting this. As others have said, I think this is a fabulous idea and I am going to look into it ASAP.

Might even find some place I like and buy some property there.

My wife's family are mostly all from North Dakota and she still has a lot of family there. Wonder how North Dakota is compared to S. Dakota. ND is one Cold arse place in winter though according to my inlaws.

I even think this is cool enough you should start a thread on it, You could cover S. Dakota and any other great state that would also work out.

That was published in March 2016. It could have been written by any 2A organization. Let's see what he actually does once in office. Vacating some Obama executive orders would be a start. Initiating some internal government investigations into communications between the White House and various organizations [Justice, FBI, ATFE, etc.] would be another. Working with both houses of congress to get 2A bills passed would be another. On that later, it would be best if the House and Senate developed their own nearly identical bills and then worked on a 'reconciled' bill to iron out the differences. If I understand correctly, that approach only requires a 50% +1 vote to approve and send to the President for signature.

I was told he would sign an executive order that every household own and maintain an AR10 with a 24" barrel and have a minimum of 1000 rounds on hand at all times. All males will report for duty or public service upon reaching the age of majority.

i hope he supports the 2A but to date i dont trust a thing he says
I hope my lack of faith in him is misguidrd. Time will tell

i hope he supports the 2A but to date i dont trust a thing he says
I hope my lack of faith in him is misguidrd. Time will tell

It is a good sign that he is putting things in writing. Gives us visibility and a record to hold him to. But you are right to be nervous given how inconsistent his track record is.

This...is actually a great idea! Thanks! I've heard SD is popular with a lot of RV lifestyle people for this purpose. It's still a few years out for me as far as what I planned so I'll have to keep researching and looking. Visited Alaska recently and completely wrote it off as a place to move to. Nice to visit, but terrible for me otherwise.

Edited to add: ....and dang, I didn't realize Nevada just passed more gun laws as well...Idaho is looking more enticing. Florida is still OK for now but it's only a matter of time before they start to turn into the nanny state as well.

South and North Dakota and that area in there can get pretty cold in the winter due to the jet stream dipping down in the USA from Canada. Some of the coldest places in the USA are Montana and east through Michigan.

I don't intend to spend the winter there. I don't have to spend much if any time to declare residency there either, I just can't live here 365/24/7 and not be a resident here, so I will be elsewhere the majority of the year, specifically in the winter. I have a bit of SAD so winter gets me down. Hit me kind of hard this year.

My plan is to have no mortgage, but have property here with some kind of living quarters (even if it is just a shop with small living quarters) and when November comes around, head out to warmer/sunnier climates - like flying to Hawaii, layover for a week or so, then fly to Tahiti and hang around there for a couple of weeks, then fly to New Zealand and hang out there for a few months. Maybe travel around other places. Maybe do some hunting down into Calif and over to the Hill Country in Texas and then up into Arkansas and back over westward, then follow the spring weather back up north, maybe even up into Canuckistan.

I have a one ton 4x4 that is a cab chassis rig that has 12+ feet of frame behind the cab. My intention is to put a camper on it and use that as a base camp when traveling around the USA. Probably touch base into S.D. once a year just to say I had been there if asked, and have proof of it. I wouldn't mind hunting some buffalo and I read they have some decent hunting there.

I've been to Montana and Idaho and eastern WA and it can get pretty cold those places in the winter. I also spent some months working in Alaska - Ketchikan, Anchorage and Fairbanks. I wouldn't want to live or even visit much north of Juneau - from there down along the coast is pretty nice in the spring, summer and autumn IMO, but just to visit - I am getting too old to live those kind of places.

I get being cynical...As many times as we have been lied to by so many politicians, everyone has a right to doubt all politicians...but that's why I am optimistic...Trump isn't a politician...
I say give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

To each there own... apparantly unless of course you are a Hillary supporter and then it's to each their own as long as you agree with us.... if you don't, then we will protest, shut down commerce, destroy your property, and assault you....

Gotta say; given the choices Trump looked pretty darn good to me.

Gun owners have a tendency to fall asleep when an R gets elected. I don't know if I am remembering this correctly, but didn't we end up with more gun control out of the Bush administration, than out of Obama's?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top