JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hope this is in the appropriate section!

I have been reading some articles this morning about Trump possibly passing some new laws when he takes office related to firearms. One of which was the reciprocity of a concealed carry permit in all 50 states regardless of where you obtain it from. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

I doubt its as easy as it sounds (Standard classes for all the states like WA where you don't even need a class) but this would be great news!

Getting a drivers license is different in every state too, yet they all work.
Every state still requires a test of competency be taken. I see your point though.

I received my concealed carry in both WA and Oregon. I liked the process of Oregon better for the simple fact of i had a class with an instructor to answer questions and explain legal issues that normally have conflicting answers online. In WA it was my first time receiving a CHL and i just had to walk into the sheriffs office, sign a form and walk out to wait on the mail. Did my research but having a classroom setting to explain the laws was very helpful.

Well, the president can only ask Congress to adress his concerns as he cannot write laws.
I sure hope that this is going to be addressed to show all the anti-gun zelots that Americans are against their hysteria.
Show them that 'Your fears DO NOT Trump our rights'!!!;)

I think "optional" or "user voluntary" additional training both classroom and range would be a good idea. Not sure if 50 state reciprocity would work right now. Each State has their way of doing things.

But ... having said that, each State seems to do quite well, thank you, regarding the drivers license comparison. The concern is that a CCL and a drivers license may require different competency.

I think "optional" or "user voluntary" additional training both classroom and range would be a good idea. Not sure if 50 state reciprocity would work right now. Each State has their way of doing things.

But ... having said that, each State seems to do quite well, thank you, regarding the drivers license comparison. The concern is that a CCL and a drivers license may require different competency.
I suppose additional training as optional would be an idea. Just one of those "You should really take this class" sorta things. I only mention it because these days your just as likely to go to jail for self defense as the attacker.

Here we go again. "inalienable rights endowed by the creator" do not require a test, and neither do any other rights in our constitution. The right to self defense is NOT the same as a drivers license so please stop that drivel right now.

I believe that you have a personal responsibility to learn firearm safety. I do not believe that the government needs to tell you that or should be testing you. If you believe in personal responsibility, then you cannot believe in universal rights testing. And be assured, attempts at "standardizing" tests are just that.

Here we go again. "inalienable rights endowed by the creator" do not require a test, and neither do any other rights in our constitution. The right to self defense is NOT the same as a drivers license so please stop that drivel right now.

I believe that you have a personal responsibility to learn firearm safety. I do not believe that the government needs to tell you that or should be testing you. If you believe in personal responsibility, then you cannot believe in universal rights testing. And be assured, attempts at "standardizing" tests are just that.
Yeah that makes more sense now that i think about it. Its a right not something we need to earn. I suppose i was just getting at people should be responsible and well informed.

This won't be popular but I'd like the FED Gov out of this and most everything. Allow the States to make their own laws. That way we can vote with our feet if needed. After all these are supposed to be 50 experiments.

This won't be popular but I'd like the FED Gov out of this and most everything. Allow the States to make their own laws. That way we can vote with our feet if needed. After all these are supposed to be 50 experiments.

Except for the fact that the "blue migration" to Oregon is driving native Oregonians (like me) out of state. Quite frankly it's analogous to a foreign invasion and my property and freedom getting seized by the occupiers.

The entire purpose of the Federal government is to protect the CONSTITUIONAL RIGHTS of all citizens EVERYWHERE, all Federal, State, and Local laws are subordinate to the Bill of Rights... I wouldn't cry one bit if they passed a USC that nullified & voided all State & Local 2A infringements, like magazine capacities, or banning "scary" guns...

I don't need some transplanted interloper telling ME what "Oregon Values" are.

o_O

Last Edited:

You mean like the law seattle just passed for the whole state on mental competency

Using the drivers license comparison. A drivers license is valid in all 50 states if you are visiting or passing through. However, if you decide to take up residence in a state different from your drivers license you may (probably) have to take a driving and/or written test. So, states would still have control over how they administer their individual concealed carry license requirements for residents. Seems like this would still preserve states rights and protect us from the federal government, but allow some freedom of movement for those with valid out of state concealed carry licenses who are simply visiting or passing through.

Just my humble opinion.

Why not just go constitutional carry no testing anywhere, the way it should be

I personally would be fine with that, and agree. However, many people feel that if this is done on a federal level, it could also be taken away on a federal level. They also feel that if the states retain control and leave the federal government out of it, that the federal government could not as easily criminalize this unalienable right thus stripping it from us.

Again, I can see it both opinions, however I do not trust power centralized with the federal government. States should assert their sovereignty and stop giving their residents rights away to the federal government.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Using the drivers license comparison. A drivers license is valid in all 50 states if you are visiting or passing through. However, if you decide to take up residence in a state different from your drivers license you may (probably) have to take a driving and/or written test. So, states would still have control over how they administer their individual concealed carry license requirements for residents. Seems like this would still preserve states rights and protect us from the federal government, but allow some freedom of movement for those with valid out of state concealed carry licenses who are simply visiting or passing through.

Just my humble opinion.

Didn't have to take a test, written or driving, to get a driver's license from Washington. They do not restrict the first amendment from state to state? I have that same right regardless if I am a citizen of that state.

is this specifically called out in the constitution? If not it defers to the state. If we expect others to follow the supreme law of the land we need to as well.

Didn't have to take a test, written or driving, to get a driver's license from Washington. They do not restrict the first amendment from state to state? I have that same right regardless if I am a citizen of that state.

Long ago, I moved from Florida back to Washington State and had to re-take my driving test. Maybe it was because I was 16 years old and had never had a Washington State drivers license before, but that was 40 years ago so maybe things have changed.

In any case, each state has agreements between themselves for what they are willing to accept or not to accept. There is a good reason why most states have their own constitutions in addition to the federal U.S Constitution. However, if you nationalize something, it means the states are taken out of the equation and the deciding entity is the federal government. It's your call as to what you are comfortable with. I kind of like the extra buffer a state can provide between "We the people" and the federal government.

As far as the First amendment is concerned it has 5 components to it. But you are correct, it is recognized throughout the country. But, I believe state constitutions also provide for many if not everything in the US Constitution.

Interesting stuff isn't it?

I personally would be fine with that, and agree. However, many people feel that if this is done on a federal level, it could also be taken away on a federal level. They also feel that if the states retain control and leave the federal government out of it, that the federal government could not as easily criminalize this unalienable right thus stripping it from us.

Again, I can see it both opinions, however I do not trust power centralized with the federal government. States should assert their sovereignty and stop giving their residents rights away to the federal government.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Like I just stated on post 12. A few (seattle) decided what all (state) had to abide by and your worried about fed's but not state!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top