JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hear tinfoil is now in short supply due to a rush on it at stores. Good thing I have a few rolls. It will be worth a mint on ebay until they catch up :s0140:

Precautions.....already taken, Thank you.

tin-foil-cat.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Hhmmm, my Nook e-reader is hooked up to wi-fi, so I suppose even it can monitor me, so back to paper books for me, sigh...

I'll never give up my Nook!!

I checked the specs, it does have a microphone.
I do know enough to know I don't really know anything at all.

I know this: I have owned 4 Nook Simple Touch readers, and have even had one completely apart. I don't know what model you are looking at, but I can tell you as a lifelong electronics tech that there is no microphone in a Nook Simple Touch reader...

Does this seem like something that is going to become reality? Or does it seem more like April FOOLS???

HARPA would develop "breakthrough technologies with high specificity and sensitivity for early diagnosis of neuropsychiatric violence," according to a copy of the proposal. "A multi-modality solution, along with real-time data analytics, is needed to achieve such an accurate diagnosis."

I'll never give up my Nook!!

I know this: I have owned 4 Nook Simple Touch readers, and have even had one completely apart. I don't know what model you are looking at, but I can tell you as a lifelong electronics tech that there is no microphone in a Nook Simple Touch reader...

Interesting. I don't have one, but c|net seems to think at least one model has a mic: Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet Specs Of course, random stuff on the internet is never wrong, right? ;-)

Does this seem like something that is going to become reality? Or does it seem more like April FOOLS???

HARPA would develop "breakthrough technologies with high specificity and sensitivity for early diagnosis of neuropsychiatric violence," according to a copy of the proposal. "A multi-modality solution, along with real-time data analytics, is needed to achieve such an accurate diagnosis."

I wouldn't be surprised. Some police departments already use crime prediction software to allocate resources, although that is based on a statistical model rather than a specific person model.

Software referenced in the article: Predict Prevent Crime | Predictive Policing Software | PredPol

Interesting. I don't have one, but c|net seems to think at least one model has a mic: Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet Specs Of course, random stuff on the internet is never wrong, right? ;-)

What you are referencing is a Nook "Tablet"... not the same thing as a Nook E-reader, although a tablet can and does read E-books, it also plays movies, games, and uses a microphone for video calling, Facetime, etc. It can also be hooked up to a keyboard and used as a laptop computer.

My Nook Simple Touch only reads E-books. It even has a "Paper White" screen. "Simple"... just the way I like it.

Electronics gets confusing when comparing Apples to Oranges, or Macs to PCs, laptops to Chromebooks, and Iphones or Iwatches to Android phones, and smart TVs to semi-smart tvs, or Netflix to Hulu, to what the various ROKU players can do, yada yada... :p:D

I wouldn't be surprised. Some police departments already use crime prediction software to allocate resources, although that is based on a statistical model rather than a specific person model.

Software referenced in the article: Predict Prevent Crime | Predictive Policing Software | PredPol

More magic beans relying on unknown Algoreythms.

bbbass,

My Nook is that exact model.

'She Who Must' kindly downloads books from the library into my Nook.

I then set the text at max making it easier to read with my aching old orbs...

As to crime laws on the rise: Some laws get taken off the books too.

Also, my anxiety about the increase of new crime law is ameliorated by the wearing cling film over which I then gently place my tinfoil hat - works for me!

bbbass,

I then set the text at max making it easier to read with my aching old orbs...

As to crime laws on the rise: Some laws get taken off the books too.

Also, my anxiety about the increase of new crime law is ameliorated by the wearing cling film over which I then gently place my tinfoil hat - works for me!

Please stop using big words.
If you don't, eventually you will lock up this forum and that will lead to the entire internet
collapsing upon itself and disappearing into a black hole.
Then you'll be sorry............o_O

It also seems to be an extra expensive method identifying what is already known to most people, even non-police: the bad areas of town.

Large PDs are intensively marketed. I guess predicting crime is a kind of Holy Grail.

Bad area of town.... Is that "profiling"? :eek::eek::eek:

Got it. My post is the the perfect example of the value of what one reads on the internet. ;-)

No, I really don't think so... the info itself was solid, just misapplied. You "assumed" you know what MannyG was refering to... I only pointed out that there were other Nook models that it could be... :):):)

bbbass,

My wife and I both have our own Nook readers. But since I am the lifelong techie type, She Who Must Be Obeyed orders new books and I jump up to comply as quickly as possible... ;););)

Please stop using big words.
If you don't, eventually you will lock up this forum and that will lead to the entire internet
collapsing upon itself and disappearing into a black hole.
Then you'll be sorry............o_O

Racist!!! :eek:

All this anti technology chatter........

.....posted from some sort of internet connected device with web browsing support......

:rolleyes:

All this anti technology chatter........

.....posted from some sort of internet connected device with web browsing support......

:rolleyes:

I am not anti-tech. I make my living in the tech sector. I am anti-government surveillance.

OTOH I don't have any illusions about what tech increasingly enables in the way of the government knowing what people do day to day.

Just imagine being the new hire lacky intern who has to sit and filter thru all the tapped stuff or countless VOD's of recorded video or facetime videos of people doing disgusting things all for finding that one material to pin someone with. Make it interesting for them!

Just imagine being the new hire lacky intern who has to sit and filter thru all the tapped stuff or countless VOD's of recorded video or facetime videos of people doing disgusting things all for finding that one material to pin someone with. Make it interesting for them!

Nah, they use computer filters and are able to fire a bunch of interns. The computer then decides what offends it.

The Computer is your Friend.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads