JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder why it took so long to bring this stuff to market.

I know there was plastic cased .38 Special back in the 70's but it didn't last long.

I don't know of anybody who carries so much ammo they need to spend this much to conserve weight however.
Fish and game does.

They carry more ammo than a classifieds flipper.

Weights and measurements to come later, tested 3 rounds in my AR10. Feeding and extraction are fine, ejection not so much. 2 ejected weak, one stovepiped. This is, in fact, loaded with either nosler accubond or hollow point boat tail premium bullets, NOT just "ball."

KIMG0023.JPG

Was in Lincoln city sports store. Plenty of ammo. High but reasonable priced for current standards. $10 for steel cased 5.56. $14-20 for brass. Even had pistol powder on hand.

Bimart has done a good job at having ammo in stock but their best in class prices haven't returned. $89.99 for 150rd box of 5.56. Last ammo I bought from memory was $69.99 for 200rd box at the end of 2020. I did buy some face to face ammo from folks on this forum this year.

The good news is ammo is available and people can shoot. For various reasons I haven't been out for a few months. A blessing and a curse but it's left me with ammo on hand so I don't have to pay these prices.
Until the price of raw materials goes back the price will not go back to pre panic. Copper theft is again becoming a major problem again as the price has shot up. :mad: Not to mention the cost of shipping. Anyone who works in that industry is seeing amazing increases in the price to move goods from one place to another.
Let's go Brandon!

weights are as follows, compared to wincheter 149 grain "M80" with True Velocity 168 grain BTHP

Average weight among 3 rounds unfired for M80 is 378.6 grains, for True Velocity is 295.8 grains or 78.1% loaded weight

For fired cases, M80 has an average weight of 185.1 grains, TV weighs in at a fluffy 81.9 grains, or 44.2%

Average powder weights come out to 44.5 grains for M80 and 45.9 grains for TV which surprised me as their website suggests they may use 8-10% less powder in their composite cases as compared to traditional brass cases. Not only did they use MORE powder, but with a heavier projectile as well. Granted, I can't say what powder each company uses. 45.9 is definitely on the higher end for most 168 grain loads I've seen published.

Until the price of raw materials goes back the price will not go back to pre panic. Copper theft is again becoming a major problem again as the price has shot up. :mad: Not to mention the cost of shipping. Anyone who works in that industry is seeing amazing increases in the price to move goods from one place to another.
Let's go Brandon!
An interesting take on the situation.

This thread reads like people who are willing to buy a corvette for 100 grand, then bubblegum about the price of premium gas
Hahaha! But since the Vette guys mostly sit around talking about their cars, the price of gas doesn't matter much.
watched a YT vid on various kinds of caseless and plastic case ammo

IIRC comments were made that the plastic cased ammo was half the weight of the brass cased ammo? which to me doesn't sound right either - most of the mass is in the projectile.

The first and most obvious difference between brass-cased and polymer-cased ammunition is a weight reduction of up to 40 percent that comes as a benefit with polymer. https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/true-velocitys-new-polymer-cased-ammunition/247607
Others have chimed in with appropriate values of the weight, but I would guess the case itself is half of the weight of a brass case.

And speaking of prices, anyone ever check the price of a box of 20 Weatherby rounds? Or something like the Ruger 375? Geeze, I bought a box of premium ammo for the wife's 7mm-08 and was tickled to get it for less than $40 a few years ago.
We don't have a 308 anymore or I'd buy one box for fun. I'd like to have one round for my haphazard cartridge/case collection.

Last Edited:
weights are as follows, compared to wincheter 149 grain "M80" with True Velocity 168 grain BTHP

Average weight among 3 rounds unfired for M80 is 378.6 grains, for True Velocity is 295.8 grains or 78.1% loaded weight

For fired cases, M80 has an average weight of 185.1 grains, TV weighs in at a fluffy 81.9 grains, or 44.2%

Average powder weights come out to 44.5 grains for M80 and 45.9 grains for TV which surprised me as their website suggests they may use 8-10% less powder in their composite cases as compared to traditional brass cases. Not only did they use MORE powder, but with a heavier projectile as well. Granted, I can't say what powder each company uses. 45.9 is definitely on the higher end for most 168 grain loads I've seen published.
378.6 - 295.8 = 82.8, call it 83 grains

83 x 50 = 4,150 grains

4,150 / 7,000 = .59 lbs or 9.4 oz.

A little more than half an average pee (69%).

P

Hahaha! But since the Vette guys mostly sit around talking about their cars, the price of gas doesn't matter much.

Other's have chimed in with appropriate values of the weight, but I would guess the case itself is half of the weight of a brass case.

And speaking of prices, anyone ever check the price of a box of 20 Weatherby rounds? Or something like the Ruger 375? Geeze, I bought a box of premium ammo for the wife's 7mm-08 and was tickled to get it for less than $40 a few years ago.
We don't have a 308 anymore or I'd buy one box for fun. I'd like to have one round for my haphazard cartridge/case collection.
I'd be happy to sell you one round, though shipping would likely not be worth it. Or just let me know when/if you're in the Eugene area.

I was at Orchards Bi Mart last week and they were still trying to sell that plastic ammo for $59.95/20. I asked the gal how much they've sold and was told she couldn't remember the last time they sold a box.

I was at Orchards Bi Mart last week and they were still trying to sell that plastic ammo for $59.95/20. I asked the gal how much they've sold and was told she couldn't remember the last time they sold a box.
I might be the only person anywhere who bought one

I made a stop at the Beaverton Bi-Mart and picked up some boxes of 308 to test fire. They had some TrueVelocity composite ammunition that was on sale for the same price as some other brands so I grabbed a box as well. Should be interesting to see how it performs against traditional ammunition.

Has anyone else tried composite ammo?

IMG_2841.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews