JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Factory big game ammo is already approaching 3.50 per rounds. I dont see any reason to reload if they can make these new rounds as precise and consistent as handloads.
Precision is one thing - but for western Oregon hunting of large game - one MOA is fine. With a good rifle and decent ammo, that should be something that can be managed if the shooter does their part.

The reason I reload is to get ammo that I can't buy - light loads, loads with projectiles not commercially available for the cartridge, subsonic, etc - that kind of thing. But ammo manufacturers are slowly coming around in this regard - which is fine. I will still probably have to reload things like .30 cal round ball ammo for .308 Winchester - probably no commercial ammo for that.

Just a simple thought, Plastic being petroleum based product should raise some concerns (economy, environment impact from production and debris). Or will they use recycled milk containers? Brass and steel can be recycled, reused etc.
And, I have had both factory and reloads (for components) up for sale with NO takers (not gouging priced). So I see this "ammo" as a feeble attempt at gun control!

Just a simple thought, Plastic being petroleum based product should raise some concerns (economy, environment impact from production and debris). Or will they use recycled milk containers? Brass and steel can be recycled, reused etc.
And, I have had both factory and reloads (for components) up for sale with NO takers (not gouging priced). So I see this "ammo" as a feeble attempt at gun control!
For military ammo, cartridge cases are just so much trash and not recycled as far as I know. I think that will be the primary market/use.

I kind of doubt they will use recycled plastic - it generally is not used for such purposes - usually for things like plastic bags/etc. (or milk cartons). I could see plastic being popular for rimfire ammo, if it is possible for such.

Most metals can be recycled indefinitely.

You make chokey the turtle sad.

I wonder if it has a finite shelf life.
Conventional sealed military ammo pretty much doesn't.
UV degradation?
Brass/steel cases do have a finite shelf life - if not stored in a totally moisture free environment.

I have inherited enough improperly stored ammo to speak to that fact.

I would assume that plastic cases would eventually degrade, but the rate would depend on the plastic used. People used to say Glocks would become brittle or melt (which one? It seems to me that those end results are contradictory). One of my first posts here (IIRC) was me pounding on the magwell of a first gen G21 with a sledge hammer and it did not crack/warp or otherwise show any damage. Being an early G21, the plastic magwell showed no signs of degradation.

Polymer/plastic can be pretty tough. Except for the UV issues, which vary depending on the plastic used.

As long as the ammo performs well for my lifetime (and that of my kids), I would not worry about its extended lifetime.

- given the target market (military).
↑ This

I imagine the price reflects R&D cost recovery, since molded polymer would be way less expensive than new brass, but the military, er - taxpayers can cover any price.

The Nosler Accubond 165 grain projectiles run about 60 cents per so the overall cost of manufacturing, not counting R&D should be under a dollar, estimated.

Brass/steel cases do have a finite shelf life - if not stored in a totally moisture free environment.

I have inherited enough improperly stored ammo to speak to that fact.

I would assume that plastic cases would eventually degrade, but the rate would depend on the plastic used. People used to say Glocks would become brittle or melt (which one? It seems to me that those end results are contradictory). One of my first posts here (IIRC) was me pounding on the magwell of a first gen G21 with a sledge hammer and it did not crack/warp or otherwise show any damage. Being an early G21, the plastic magwell showed no signs of degradation.

Polymer/plastic can be pretty tough. Except for the UV issues, which vary depending on the plastic used.

As long as the ammo performs well for my lifetime (and that of my kids), I would not worry about its extended lifetime.
Theoretically true but the variable we're talking about here is definitely not inert, at least not to the same degree brass, copper and lead are.

when I think of target practice I think of cheaper ammo and shooting a lot of ammo in a range session thats affordable to shoot in quantity. I dont think of using accubonds or other premium hunting projectiles for general target practice. I fully understand that hunters want their hunting ammo to be as accurate as they can but I cant imagine anyone goes target shooting with hunting ammo like they do with pistol or AR15s etc. ?
The link in the OP was for composite ammo using accubonds so I think that influenced my initial impression of what these composite rounds are trying to accomplish but my mind went straight to hunting applications.

Understood.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I practice with any of my rifles I use my primary loads. I don't differentiate between practice loads and hunting loads. I want to know how my hunting bullets are going to behave at a variety of distances, and the only way to do that is to shoot them from a variety of distances.

And frequently.

Sure, it cuts into my strip club money,, but it's worth it. Unless it's a bachelorette party on amateur night. Of course.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top