JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

You can conceal carry in a police station in Washington State.

• True

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • False

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I'm waiting for the correct answer myself

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters
there's no law about sheriffs' office nor police departments in oregon. basic rule applies- if it's posted, better make sure it stays concealed.

cant help you with washington, though... although i don't think having a cop tell you is actually anything even close to an indicator of anything. i've seen a lot of totally incorrect information come out of cops.

i can guarantee that most cops discovering you're carrying in a police station are going to make a fool out of you, law or no law, however. so proceed with caution.

Lobby is ok, however if the lobby is connected to the court room or court offices then it falls under 9.41.300 (1) (b) In some smaller police stations you might see this where you have a lobby with the police station clerk or desk SGT on on side and the court clerk on the other. That is when it is not legal to carry in a police station or as mentioned below. Cities and towns may enact ordinances to make police lobbies off limits to firearms but it does not apply to license holders.

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

Here is the entirety of 9.41.300

Also in WA any place with a firearms restriction should have an obvious sign that everyone can see before they enter the building. I believe it is state law and has to list which RCW applies but I can't find it right now.

I almost found out the hard way when I went to renew my Washington Co CHL the second time. The first time I went to renew it at the new County building they had a LEO stationed at the entrance and a row of lockers and you just checked your handgun with them and they would secure it in a locker for you.

The second time I went to renew it, they had changed the entrance to the building and I didn't see the lockers; just a desk with an older lady sitting there a few feet back from the entrance. I approached her and asked her where I could check my handgun and her eyes bugged out so far you could have raked them off with a stick. I guess the first time I renewed my CHL, the courtroom wasn't in use yet, but it now was so I shouldn't have even walked thru the door with a handgun. Luckily, there weren't any LEO's standing around and she didn't freak out. She just said you better get that out of here quick. I went back and locked it in my trunk.

When I got my WA CPL months ago, I did it at the King Co. courthouse building in Seattle. After I'd finished with the paperwork and finger prints, I ran into an acquaintance who works there as a guard (King Co. sherrif). He asked if I was there to apply for the conceal pistol license.

I was caught off guard and was curious where this was headed. I admitted that was in fact my business in the clerk's office. I asked how he knew. He replied "there are only 2 functions for that clerk's office: CPL issue/renewal and sex offender registration. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt".

That gave me a much needed laugh.

I think they have to lock up their guns in a safe before going in.

only when going into intake at the jail. no firearms allowed where prisoners are kept. from what i've seen, this even includes holding cells in police stations, but that might just be a widely adopted policy that departments have.

i have a neighbor who claimed, in a moment of bravado, that he'd had deputies pull guns on him while processing him for a DUI, because he was such a badass and the cops were so scared of him. i saved him the embarrassment of informing him that that would be impossible, since firearms are absolutely forbidden inside the jail area.

I came within and inch of accidentally carrying into the social security office here when I took my Dad in there. At the very last moment I remembered and went and locked it in the car. Once you get into the lobby they have an officer with a scanner and I'd have been toast.

If you wear it all the time, it's easy to forget it's there.

you can carry into a police station or Sheriff's office as long as you don't go into the non public areas. The Clark Co. Sherrifs office is incorrectly posted for those of us that have CPL's. I don't want to be a test case so I leave it in the car.

RCW 9.41.300

Also, the above citation states that they MUST supply lock boxes or someone to hold the weapon while in the building. At the Clark Co. Courthouse they have lockers, but only for LEO's. The will call a deputy to take possession of your weapon while in the building. Of course they "run" the weapon while in their possession for stolen goods.

When I was doing parking patrol for handicapped parking violations I was allowed into the non public areas, I DIDN'T carry then!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
ACSWW Member

I came within and inch of accidentally carrying into the social security office here when I took my Dad in there. At the very last moment I remembered and went and locked it in the car. Once you get into the lobby they have an officer with a scanner and I'd have been toast.

If you wear it all the time, it's easy to forget it's there.

to watch that too! Had to go in for SS for the grandkids after their mother died. More than once I had to go back to the car for "something"

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
ACSWW Member

Thanks for the clarification. I'm doing a ride-along with my buddy, mostly so we can just hang out since our schedules are backwards, but he informed me that I couldn't carry in the police station. I guess that's true, for the most part.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top