JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Grandpa never carried a firearm while building his cabin by hand in the Rockies.

Meth wasn't a problem back then either.

I honestly feel safer in the worst parts of Seattle, Portland, or San Francisco than I do in some of the small towns and woods along the coast.

My dad worked for the Forest Service when in high school (summer trail crew), after Korean War while in college (lived in North Fork Guard Station) and then full time til his retirement in 1986. In the early years (late 40s-50s) he said it was common for the Forest Guard and trail crew guys to carry firearms, usually rifles. But that really got quenched, I believe, in the late 60s-early 70s. Now, unless you're FS Law Enforcement it would be a big problem to go about your duties armed.
We own forest land right at the edge of the National Forest. To this day he will go up to work there and wouldn't think about taking a rifle with him. He's 82 and fairly set in his ways by now. I, however, don't go anywhere without at least a handgun. With the amount of trespassing we've had in the last few years have tried to give him a handgun.... I'm not concerned about bear, or even cougar. It's dogs and the two legged critters that I worry about.

60s-early 70s.
Yep that is when it turned to the Sociopathist leftists. That was their plan in 68.
I got so pissed at that meeting I put a chair through their chalkboard diagram of
infiltration outline.
Everything from that period on went to the sheitepile.
Forestry, ODFW, Water stealers, global fruitheads............

The sick part of it was when I tried to tell people what they were organizing, all I got, was oh sure, what ya smokin.
or No you must have heard it wrong, no one would do that.
I think that pizzed me off even more.
They were the same people that killed the logging industry, froze up farmland over some rat, stopped water flow to farmers, and have put every roadblock up to all the accesses to lands, and the list is endless.
Nobody listened to MCCarthy either, but here it is, like the black plague.

They just need to think outside the box... the Leatherman Tool of walking sticks. I'm thinking of adding a couple of these to my collection for the alligators, snakes and sharks around the city :yes:

https://www.billsbangsticks.com/

No registration needed.

A powerhead may be considered a firearm under some circumstances. In the US, the BATFE considers a powerhead a firearm if it is not permanently affixed to a shaft; generally powerheads are sold spot welded to a temporary steel shaft giving an overall length of greater than 18 inches (45 cm). After installing permanently on a spear shaft, the spot weld is cut, and the temporary shaft discarded.[3] Revenue Ruling 55-569, C.B. 1955-2, 483 says:

A device ostensibly designed for submarine spear fishing, but capable of chambering and firing .22 caliber rimfire ammunition, is a firearm within the purview of the National Firearms Act. However, such device, if permanently attached to the speargun shaft by the manufacturer, would not be a firearm.

Note that this ruling is with regard to the National Firearms Act, and not to the 1968 Gun Control Act. (The National Firearms Act defines 'firearm' as machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, and concealable firearms that are neither pistols nor revolvers.) This means that powerheads may still be under the authority of the 1968 Gun Control Act with regards to shipping them and purchase of them from licensed dealers.[3]

Laws may also prohibit the use of powerheads in sport fishing. They are allowed in US federally controlled waters, but many states prohibit their use in state controlled waters.

Do note that laws regarding hunting and firearms vary widely among individual states, and one can be easily in violation of state law despite being compliant with federal regulations.

I've been charged twice by a bear, they mostly just run the other way but those two bluff charged.....lets you know you alive.

The Cartel grows springing up in SW OR are getting a little spooky, I found meth labs, meth dumps, "local" grows....., grew up in a 400 person logging town with no police, never had to discharge a weapon in anger or defense.
I have worked in the woods since I was 17 , I am now 40 and never needed a weapon other than to kill food.....doesn't mean the possibilities aren't there and I still think its foolish to not be armed but never needed it......but I would rather have it and not need it

I used to date this woman who was a FBI investigator here in Portland. Her job was murder and crime in the woods or as she would say all things outside city limits. She told me that there stats show more Serial violent murders and rapes happen in the woods than ever happen in the city. I never looked it up as it was not her statistical brain power I was interested in. :s0114:

This was 10-15 yrs ago.

no way, shear numbers in the population centers would up the odds alone........maybe per capita , maybe

and that might depend on your definition of the "woods".....I have been with city folks who think they are in the woods when they 20 feet off the road

Down here in the north end of the Emerald Triangle, the two legged critters to be concerned about are the cartel guys in their guerrilla
grows on public lands. Its NEVER a good idea, whether antler hunting, mushroom picking, whatever, to be unarmed in the woods.

People often criticize me for my somewhat cavalier attitude towards concealed carry. See, Im one of those who almost never carries a gun on my person in town. I have never felt a need to. I have never seen one single episode of violence in town, in my life. On the other hand......I spend as much time in the woods as I can afford to and youll never see me unarmed there. Like many here I have seen all manner of two legged vermin in the great outdoors. You cannot drive or walk far enough to escape tweakers, growers, labs, fugitives, deranged gold miners, eco nuts, etc. Just 3 years ago a hunting buddy who was packing out an elk was accosted and threatened by 3 young patchouli wearing rastafarian types driving a Suburu. They came at him in spite of the fact that he had his .338 with him. They did break off when he fired a warning shot, something I wouldnt have done. Clearly there is something dangerously wrong with people like that. Point being, always have a gun in the woods. Always. When I leave camp I pass them out to my friends and family like party favors.

no way, shear numbers in the population centers would up the odds alone........maybe per capita , maybe

and that might depend on your definition of the "woods".....I have been with city folks who think they are in the woods when they 20 feet off the road

"Serial violent murders and rapes" may have very different stats than all homicides and rapes.

I also agree that the definition of "woods" could vary wildly.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top