JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings everyone,

Just heard a story today that I wanted to share, maybe some of you could verify?

Talked to a guy today that works for the Forest Service. He lives in Central Oregon. We got to talking about being out in the woods and wildlife, etc. Naturally, I was curious as to what kind of firepower he carries into the deep woods, as he said that he often goes way out, never seeing people for several miles.
He informed me that it is against the FS policy to allow any of their employees to carry a weapon unless, by his words, they get a "special permit from the agency"....I'm not sure what that meant and didn't push the question. He mentioned that one guy from the Prineville District was fired even though he had a CCW.
I told him that I thought that policy was an accident waiting to happen....too many scary creatures ( both two legged and four) to take such a cavalier attitude about safety. I asked him why he thought game wardens carry guns???

Anyway, does this story ring true? I find it inexcusable to place your employees in harms way without any way to protect themselves. How could the Forest Service do such a thing?

It is true.

The only employees allowed to carry are the Trained LEO's. No one else may be armed in any way whatsoever. Even bear spray is not allowed. If attacked you may only defend yourself as you are retreating (ever been hit buy a Motorola radio). We are well trained in situational awareness and advised we are to walk away (and/or never approach) from anyone who becomes aggressive or is under the influence of anything. The good thing about this (at least in my case) is that all Law Enforcement (LEO, Deputy, WSP) (I work closely with them) (my radio traffic is monitored) come to our aid in a very rapid deployment and use extreme prejudice to protect us.

My duties take me hours away from my coworkers. I have never had even so much as a threat come my way. Most people that I deal with treat me with great respect and I return that to them. Most of the time I am able to correct things with education (I am an USFS E&E Ranger) It should be noted I stand 6'3" and 240 lbs. However even the Rec Techs. receive the same respect while making their rounds. This has got to be the best job I have ever had!

A very good friend of mine is a retired forest service employee. He liked it very much, a very rewarding career. Has tons of great stories and is always showing me cool things in my area. Knows his way around the forest, that's for sure.

Sounds exactly like the forest service.
Many of the leftist nutjobs I was telling about from the late 60's have weaseled their way into any and all environmental orientated gov agencies now. That was the plan in that meeting I disrupted a bit in 68. Infiltrate, gain employment and fight to the top for control then get their friends hired.
Now you see the results of it.
Most of the admins are now gutless, dickless & toothless......

It is true.

The only employees allowed to carry are the Trained LEO's. No one else may be armed in any way whatsoever. Even bear spray is not allowed. If attacked you may only defend yourself as you are retreating (ever been hit buy a Motorola radio). We are well trained in situational awareness and advised we are to walk away (and/or never approach) from anyone who becomes aggressive or is under the influence of anything. The good thing about this (at least in my case) is that all Law Enforcement (LEO, Deputy, WSP) (I work closely with them) (my radio traffic is monitored) come to our aid in a very rapid deployment and use extreme prejudice to protect us.

My duties take me hours away from my coworkers. I have never had even so much as a threat come my way. Most people that I deal with treat me with great respect and I return that to them. Most of the time I am able to correct things with education (I am an USFS E&E Ranger) It should be noted I stand 6'3" and 240 lbs. However even the Rec Techs. receive the same respect while making their rounds. This has got to be the best job I have ever had!

Most forest service folks in the 50's had gun racks in their trucks.
So when did this big change begin?

It is true.

You can be sure there are many out there who are legally armed citizens and would help you if present. I love the forests and soon will be living in one, the best time I ever had was two weeks of logging with my brother running the skidder to clear for the road to the homesite through thick timber that is still there excepting the road. A tropical island vacation would not have been better

You can be sure there are many out there who are legally armed citizens and would help you if present. I love the forests and soon will be living in one, the best time I ever had was two weeks of logging with my brother running the skidder to clear for the road to the homesite through thick timber that is still there excepting the road. A tropical island vacation would not have been better

You better believe I know what my resources are while I perform my duties. I've worked the area enough to know and recognize people who are regulars. Many are retired law enforcement. Many are still working as deputy's.

Most everybody is just good folks looking to get away for a goodtime. My crew as well as myself work to see that everyone has good memories to take home. Corrective actions are few and far between.

Even doing that logging on my land I had a 9MM Firestar in my pocket, a full GI rig with mags and a 1911 and a SS Mini 14 with 2- 40 rd mags inserted leaning behind the nearest tree. Not the trusting sort. I loaned my bro a .357 for the skidder

Man....I guess Oregon is 180 degrees from Alaska where I grew up. Any agent state, federal or otherwise goes into the woods locked and loaded.

Alaska is a different beast than Oregon. You do have Grizzlies in most of Alaska, and very large black bears. I think those FS guys should be able to carry here also but there really arent any animals that pose a danger to a full grown human here, so the reason behind everyone in Alaska being armed might be different than here.

Alaska is a different beast than Oregon. You do have Grizzlies in most of Alaska, and very large black bears. I think those FS guys should be able to carry here also but there really arent any animals that pose a danger to a full grown human here, so the reason behind everyone in Alaska being armed might be different than here.

To be honest....in Alaska its more 50/50. You carry a weapon 50% of the time hoping to never run into a bear or moose and 50% of the time hoping you never run into some weirdo with a vendetta against mankind. Minus the Grizzly Bears and moose in Oregon, I still hold myself to that standard and would hope that most other outdoorspeople would too!

A far more dangerous animal walks on 2 legs.
Think about how many serial killers use the forest areas as dumping grounds.
They do not like to be seen and most like as unpredictable as a pizzed off brown bear.
People have been shot at just driving down the road too close to somebody's mushroom picking area in NE Oregon.
Furs on 4 leggs are the least thing to be concerned with.
Then there is the additional safety of the 3 shot...... then repeated distress signal (insignificant) but valid point.

Alaska is still America friendly :D

I agree Taku.

I think what sets Alaska apart is that Alaska still embodies the American spirit of individualism, liberty and freedom along with rugged self-reliance. Once upon a time, every state in the Union had those qualities.

My dad worked for the Forest Service when in high school (summer trail crew), after Korean War while in college (lived in North Fork Guard Station) and then full time til his retirement in 1986. In the early years (late 40s-50s) he said it was common for the Forest Guard and trail crew guys to carry firearms, usually rifles. But that really got quenched, I believe, in the late 60s-early 70s. Now, unless you're FS Law Enforcement it would be a big problem to go about your duties armed.
We own forest land right at the edge of the National Forest. To this day he will go up to work there and wouldn't think about taking a rifle with him. He's 82 and fairly set in his ways by now. I, however, don't go anywhere without at least a handgun. With the amount of trespassing we've had in the last few years have tried to give him a handgun.... I'm not concerned about bear, or even cougar. It's dogs and the two legged critters that I worry about.

Man....I guess Oregon is 180 degrees from Alaska where I grew up. Any agent state, federal or otherwise goes into the woods locked and loaded.

This is how you order a blaster while on a fire, been there a couple times

My last trip to the land of the Midnight Sun , my hooch....16 days, no shower other than deet, eating from a tundra cooler and a Jet Ranger is your F-150
Separated the men from the boys for real, I am not a Fed , just had to add that

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top