JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sally Field was hawt in that movie...

Too bad she's such a flaming Librul... :rolleyes:

Negative, Ghost Rider. The feds kicked it back to the states in 1999. Truckers are only bound by the same state carry laws as everybody else. There are currently 0 federal regulations with regards to firearms in CMVs (Commercial Motor Vehicles) from DOT, FMCSA, NHWSTA, etc.
Operating in 48 states and Canada (as some companies do) can be a real problem when it comes to reciprocity and states like KA and OR who honor NO CC permits other than their own. Likewise Canada.
There are also issues with certain ports and "sensitive" areas, prisons, etc. If you're legal in your car, you're legal in a CMV. Employers are a different story.
It does that to me too.

You are correct I must have mixed up our Company policy w/ the FMCRS. I will edit my previous post to reflect this.
I don't like saying things that aren't true, I coulda swore I read it in the regs. But after doing a search just as you have done I came to the same conclusion as you!
My apologies
Stacy

Getting the Nostalgia Feelz for Convoy or Smokey and the Bandit yet?:p
A lot of us (men/women of a certain age) grew up in that era and were hugely influenced by those trucker movies (S&tB, White Line Fever, Convoy, etc) of the 70s. I wanted to be the Rubber Duck, blowing road blocks and rollin' coal, sh*ttin' and a'gittin', turn, burn, and bag the ashes, Shakey-town bound and hammer-down... all of that stuff AND get (nominally) paid? I'm in.
Obviously, it's not all that... nothing is. But every time I think I'm done with it and want to move move my life on down the line... I draw a blank on what to do. Where else can you be responsible only for your own actions? You're cut loose with a quarter-million dollars (or more) in equipment and cargo, an 80,000+ lb guided missile, devoid of direct supervision yet also not responsible for subordinate underlings' performance? I run my rig the way I see fit and am fortunate enough to work for a company that rarely second-guesses my decisions. On the off-chance that they do, they're easily backed-down.
Professionalism and integrity go a long way in this business (trucking) and fits the axiom I used to pound into my boys' heads... with freedom comes responsibility.
It's terribly unfortunate that the driver shortage has pushed companies to go all "least common denominator" in order to put azzes in seats... there are way too many bad drivers out there who lack pride in their work. Seems pretty common in many industries, but is very visible out on the highways.
I came to the same conclusion as you!
My apologies.
None necessary.
Most (or at least many) truckers don't know the law and there is a LOT of misinformation floating around. The great and powerful regulating entities didn't exactly make a big splashy announcement when they (correctly) got their silly asses out of behavior modification and back to motor carrier safety... using that term advisedly.

Last Edited:
Couple of thoughts.
For me I have to believe my gun rights will be safer under idaho law rather than the fed.

As far as regular dudes packing on a plane? Heck no. Those that don't understand guns outpace those that do.

"Heck no", aye? Good to know. But I'm still wondering why fed agents get to and I don't. Probably because there are those out there that would say "heck no" to a lot about the 2A. Things like;

should a regular dude be able to buy a semi-auto without a background check?

Or buy any firearm without proper training?

Or not wait 10 days until they've had a "cooling off" period.

Or during times of civil unrest......

Heck no!

So many of these "heck no" types believe dudes should not even own guns as a right. Some I'm sure would maybe consider a privilege doing so after the government believes you're worthy and only if they get to make you pay a fee and well as let that privilege expire so they can re-evaluate you periodically.

And even if a regular dude went through al the firearm training that those fed agents go through, all the background checks and psychological tests so to be granted permission to carry a firearm across state lines as well as on a airplane the "Heck no" wouldn't want it. Not unless it's a government employed agent.

It's a sad commentary that this so called right has been allowed to morph into a privilege and so very narrowly defined at that. Practically infringed.

So many of these "heck no" types believe dudes should not even own guns as a right. Some I'm sure would maybe consider a privilege doing so after the government believes you're worthy and only if they get to make you pay a fee and well as let that privilege expire so they can re-evaluate you periodically.

And even if a regular dude went through al the firearm training that those fed agents go through, all the background checks and psychological tests so to be granted permission to carry a firearm across state lines as well as on a airplane the "Heck no" wouldn't want it. Not unless it's a government employed agent.
With apologies to our friend @tac , there's a place nearby with those rules. We call it "Canada"...

When most of the law enforcement, health care workers, firefighters are sick in three weeks second amendment rights will become important.

When I drove long haul I worked for a small company.
About 40 trucks one guy owned it.
Ran the Seven Western States.
And I know for a fact that at least half of the 40 drivers had a gun in the truck.
I had. 5 shot S&W 38 in mine.
But we never went to Canada so what ever we did go into California but back in the late 90s California was not like it is now.
It was kinda like the boss won't ask and you don't tell.
Now I work for a huge Company.
With a serious no gun policy.

The bad thing is you can look up hundreds of story's about how a truck driver came to the rescue of a state patrol officer on the side of the road.that needed help .
I mean it's kinda crazy to think you got people that can travel the country and be some sort of help all over the place at anytime of day.
And Deni them the tools to help.
BUT LIKE THE OTHER DRIVER SAID .
there are guys driving trucks that should not be doing it.
Big company just needs someone behind the wheel.
Believe me there are lots of bad drivers out there in cars and trucks.

I haven't driven a rig since the late '70s, so I'm not current. In truth, I always had a Rem 870 with 18" barrel in the sleeper and often brought my .45 Auto with me because we drew money from the wire (Western Union) and opportunists would see the money and follow a driver out to his truck for a holdup. I was paid by the mile, worked hard for it, and I couldn't tolerate that. A driver in Amarillo was shot in the chest with a .22 rimfire because he wouldn't give it up, another in Kearny, NJ.
State agencies never checked my rig or any other unless they had reason to look for a firearm, and I never provided a reason for that. Things were a little more relaxed back then, perhaps, but drivers were easy targets. I'd support drivers being armed IF they took a class and had a clear understanding of the "rules of engagement", And, yes, I carry concealed now and have a permit to do so.

Large uptick in petty crimes Recently since the release of 200 people before full time served over here.

Truckers sleep in the cab of their trucks and I wouldn't want to be armed with only a crowbar...:eek:

As things get worse and more people get desperate there will be more worse crime I'm thinking.

Keep those supply chains safe and running and thanks to anyone doing the long and short hauls;):cool:

My brother says, "You're welcome." :s0155:
30 years on the road for him...

Remember the LA riots? That one poor trucker got pulled out of his rig and got pummeled. Big rig operators should get federal protection status like USPS has. If you mess with truckers transit or commerce, you get federal time.
Arent federal employees prohibited from carrying on the job?

I'd support drivers being armed IF they took a class and had a clear understanding of the "rules of engagement"
Truck drivers have to follow all of the same laws as everybody else. Nobody has EVER suggested just arming truckers any more than anyone EVER suggested just giving guns to teachers... that's the same straw man argument used for two different professions.

If your legally able to own and carry then you have, by necessity, gone through various BGCs and "training", the intensity of which is determined by the state in which you got your CHL, CPL, CCL, whatever they call it.

On the table for discussion is reciprocity, not fitness or qualifications.

I don't know, but probably (except for that occasional postal worker..). However, I was only suggesting that truckers should share the same federal protections when it comes to being assaulted. Of course, I think they should be allowed to carry across state lines also.

I don't know, but probably (except for that occasional postal worker..). However, I was only suggesting that truckers should share the same federal protections when it comes to being assaulted. Of course, I think they should be allowed to carry across state lines also.

my understanding is, outside of a law enforcement role federal employees are prohibited from carrying guns on the job.

I support stiffer penalties for all violent crimes, but it kinda rubs me the wrong way the idea of a certain class of people having additional protections than others. I don't see why I or anyone couldn't apply for a federal position like say post office mailman without stripping themselves of their constitutional right to defend themselves with arms. If someone attacks a federal employee, the penalty should be no different than attacking anyone else IMO

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top