JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I work with kids and go into many schools. I want to carry more often but am concerned about the security of my pistol. I want to know if there are people that always have one in their "truck." If so, how or do you secure them? Gunvault? under the seat? If you do leave one in your truck at all times, what is it?

The only "gun" I leave in my truck all the time is my air rifle.
I used to have DAC sportsafe when I had a Chevy truck - it fit under the center console and was bolted to the floor.
I now have a Tundra and haven't got around to getting the console vault yet

I think the Secure-it key operated box with a cable is a low cost alternative to the more expensive safes. Around $30.:s0155:
If someone has the means of breaking in to your car you don't think that they have the means to cut a small cable? Yes it keeps someone from just grabbing your gun and running, but not by much. It is an inexpensive alternative and I wouldn't trust it.

I use to keep my AR under the back seat in my Dodge Ram. I welded some flatbar to the steel seat frame then rivited some velcro straps from a old gun case, to the flatbar. Then I used a piece of "uncuttable cable and a padlock to lock it in, through the front sight. Worked great. In my cars trnk I have a Police shotgun mount, you can get one for an AR also.

If someone has the means of breaking in to your car you don't think that they have the means to cut a small cable? Yes it keeps someone from just grabbing your gun and running, but not by much. It is an inexpensive alternative and I wouldn't trust it.

It's not about trust. It's about delaying. Yes someone with bolt cutters could break into the car and immediately cut the cable and run off to break open the safe at their leisure, if they knew all the details ahead of time and planned things out.

But realistically, most people breaking into cars will not be ready to break into even a simple lock box. They will have a rock or a screwdriver and be planning on cleaning the money out of the ashtray grabbing any ipods that are sitting on the seats and maybe the stereo. I don't believe any safe/lockbox is theftproof. They are all just delaying measures. Just like with fire ratings pick one that will last long enough to make you comfortable and go with that one.

My "car gun" is a Kel-Tec 9mm pistol I picked up for cheap. It lives under the seat....inside of an empty, wadded up paper sack from Burger King. If my car gets broken into and they look beneath the seat, they arent going to waste time sifting thru garbage. Its called "hiding in plain sight".

My "car gun" is a Kel-Tec 9mm pistol I picked up for cheap. It lives under the seat....inside of an empty, wadded up paper sack from Burger King. If my car gets broken into and they look beneath the seat, they arent going to waste time sifting thru garbage. Its called "hiding in plain sight".

You'd be surprised! I once had my daughter's diaper bag (with infant clothes and assorted knick-knacks) taken from the back seat and a grocery bag containing about $50 worth of cereal and other food-type stuff taken from the floor on the front seat passenger side of my SUV... and the "valuable" stereo, camera, and pocket change in the console were left behind!

Someone in a hurry will snatch and grab anything and look through it later so I wouldn't assume that just because it "looks" like trash it won't be touched. All they need to do is try and brush it aside and the weight of the pistol inside will give them pause to check...

:s0159:

I have one of the cheap lock boxes. I got rid of the little cable. Went to Lowes and bought a Eye bolt, drilled a hole in the box and bolted it on. Then added a bike chain lock. It's not going to stop the bad guy with bolt cutters but it will slow them down. Then again most car break ins are smash and grab while the alarm is going off.

I was looking for a lock box of some sorts as well, my 02 toyota has a compartment under the arm rest, when flipped up you can access quite well. I welded some 1/16th steel into a box shape, (had to take out my console) drilled holes to where it could be bolted down to the floor of the truck.

this box will slow the smash and grabs but wont hold off too long...by the way only time I use this is when I need to go into a post office or federal building...

P2050010.jpg
P2050011.jpg
P2050012.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads