JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have a truck gun? If so, what model and caliber is your rifle of choice?

I've got a 98k that I'm trying to get worked into being my stow away rifle. Stock barrel, bi-mart Leopold 3-9x and a boyds stock. Nothing fancy just enough to put down anything from coyote to a bear if needed.

Savage 93 .22wmr w/2x7 scope
1 mag of cci shot shells
1 mag of cci blunt tip 40 grain
1 mag of vortex ballistic 36 grain

That and a 6" stainless gp100 .357 mag loaded with hunting rounds.

Simple little picture

uploadfromtaptalk1407020389595.jpg

Was thinking on the Mosin and I believe the 870 will bee in there also.
Last year,twice I went shooting and forgot to have a grouse gun ready.Twice I fell short of dinner.
I had 3 shotguns ,4 22 pistols and a variety of rifles and not one sitting close for a quick shot

My Wards bolt action 16 ga, tube fed. I have slugs, buckshot, and birdshot. I'm thinking about switching to wax shot, once I try it out; I hear it is a nice, legal, multifunction way to modify your ammo. Wax Shot: Add a little melted wax to some birdshot, let it harden, recrimp, and let 'er rip.

Oh, I also carry my slingshot and a Crosman 2289 backpacker now that I have them! :D
Serious fun, and super quiet!

NEF Pardner Pump for quite a while. An AK for a bit.
And possibly an AR here soon?

I have a "thing" when Im too far from home 1.5-2hrs.. I have to bring something other than a pistol.

But as if late my travel has been limited. But it'd be fun to carry a rifle again for a little bit.

My Wards bolt action 16 ga, tube fed. I have slugs, buckshot, and birdshot. I'm thinking about switching to wax shot, once I try it out; I hear it is a nice, legal, multifunction way to modify your ammo. Wax Shot: Add a little melted wax to some birdshot, let it harden, recrimp, and let 'er rip.

Oh, I also carry my slingshot and a Crosman 2289 backpacker now that I have them! :D
Serious fun, and super quiet!
Very good. I haven't tried the "wax shot" (or even "cut shells") yet but I understand it's more involved than that.. don't do that. Don't just pour hot wax down the shot column and expect it to work as a slug.. because it won't. You must pour out and heat up the shot in and with the wax and then spoon it all back in for it to work properly. As you said, there are quite a few youtube vids on this and if anyone does as you say and patterns the thing using that method, they'll find out that it doesn't work as they might hope.

NEF single shot. With survivor stock and forend. Picked up cheap as some kid hacked the front to 18.5". Makes for easy upland picking if we see anything when out shooting. Also it's really light and really small. I just need to buy one of those shotshell things that go around your neck.

Ishapore Enfield in .308 with 16" barrel - with Scout Scope mount and a rear ghost ring sight with an optional screw in insert to turn it into a peep sight. The scope would be a low power variable handgun scope. It not be on the rifle most of the time to keep it from getting beat up or stolen as it would be worth more than the rifle - it would have QD rings, which I have found return to zero.

British later model Enfield in .303 setup the same way.

Either of these are more than adequate for anything I would encounter in the PNW, are fast handling/shooting and have 10 to 12 round capacity mags. I would not be upset if they get banged up a little as they are probably already banged up. Their value, probably around $200 to $300 without the scope.

Ammo is common enough to get just about anywhere - especially the .308 Winchester.

Unless I'm on a road trip I just have my sidearm on me. When I'm on a trip I generally bring a Ruger Mini-14 with a couple five rnd and three thirty rnders. Also a .40 S&W and an entrenching tool and large bush knife.
Oddly, Nevada has some goofy firearms laws. If you carry a shotgun in a vehicle and there is no round in the chamber it is unloaded! Loaded mag dosent even count! So that's what we did!:)

Savage 93 .22wmr w/2x7 scope
1 mag of cci shot shells
1 mag of cci blunt tip 40 grain
1 mag of vortex ballistic 36 grain

That and a 6" stainless gp100 .357 mag loaded with hunting rounds.

I like this choice, seems pretty versital to me. Does it have iron sights also? That would be a must for me.

It does have iron's:)

Even my hunting rifle has ring sights for backup;).

I figure I'm good for defense against big critters up to 100 yards or so and set for every varmint up to 125lbs or so out to about the same range if not a bit further.

I generally leave the rifle at home unless there is a chance I'll be out of the city.

I gotta move back out to the boonies...

Ishapore Enfield in .308 with 16" barrel - with Scout Scope mount and a rear ghost ring sight with an optional screw in insert to turn it into a peep sight. The scope would be a low power variable handgun scope. It not be on the rifle most of the time to keep it from getting beat up or stolen as it would be worth more than the rifle - it would have QD rings, which I have found return to zero.

British later model Enfield in .303 setup the same way.

Either of these are more than adequate for anything I would encounter in the PNW, are fast handling/shooting and have 10 to 12 round capacity mags. I would not be upset if they get banged up a little as they are probably already banged up. Their value, probably around $200 to $300 without the scope.

Ammo is common enough to get just about anywhere - especially the .308 Winchester.
I really like that idea. I have on old Bubba'd (by me.. hey I got it for $80 pushing 40 years ago when I was 15) 03-A3 and it's not super pretty or anything but because of sentimental reasons, wouldn't use it for a truck gun. However, at a gun store not long ago I was blown away by all the .303 Enfields selling for absolute songs! I almost bought one but then I'd have to get.. nevermind.. those things are perfect!. especially a jungle carbine

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top