JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always thought a tanker Garand with the NATO 7.62 conversion, or an 18-20" barreled Rem 760/7600 pump gun in .308 would make the best Truck Gun, but the .44 Ruger carbine shown above may come the closest to perfect for light, fast handling and mid-close range lethal.

I wish you could get good, high-cap mags for them though.

In my experience the tanker Garands in .308 seem to have feeding problems and I don't care for how much hassle is involved when trying to clear those feeding problems. I essentially had to take the action out of the stock to clear it.

For me, a truck long gun should cost no more than $300 all told. $200 is better.
Your handgun is different.. as you should have that upon your person.

A plain ole 94 Winchester in 30-30 for me. Box of shells to go with it. Keep it in a rust proof ProTecht bag and wrapped in a blanket with wrap around cord ties. It's nice to have the blanket in an emergency. Never have to worry about the Winchester rusting. It's a comfort when traveling.

A plain ole 94 Winchester in 30-30 for me. Box of shells to go with it. Keep it in a rust proof ProTecht bag and wrapped in a blanket with wrap around cord ties. It's nice to have the blanket in an emergency. Never have to worry about the Winchester rusting. It's a comfort when traveling.
The blanket wrapping is a terrific idea. Something most guys don't think about but it'll take up less space and better conceal your shotgun/rifle. I did it with a tarp, but I should definitely add a blanket again! I took all my stuff out a while ago and cant remember why.
Looks like I have an evening of get'home vehicle prepping. :)

In my experience the tanker Garands in .308 seem to have feeding problems and I don't care for how much hassle is involved when trying to clear those feeding problems. I essentially had to take the action out of the stock to clear it.
That's good to know.
I've had a couple of Garands, but neither were tankers, and neither were NATO conversions.

Truck gun?

If I were going to leave a gun in a truck it would be a $100-ish single shot 12 gauge with a $5 Uncle Mikes elastic sleeve on it containing a mix of slugs, buckshot and birdshot. The ultimate survival gun and I am not out any serious money if my rig gets broken into.

Me too! Except mine has a 1-4 leupold on top and shoots 240 xtp's with 23.2 grns of H110
love that little gun!

The other one I have has a leupold 1.5-5 on it. It's more used for hunting. I couldn't get it to group with that hot of load, 22 gr of h110 pushing 240 gr nosler got me 1 1/4 group at 100 yards. 23-24 gr opened it up to 3-4 inch group!

I've got Winchester 1892 short carbine in .44 Mag with iron sights that gets tossed (gently) in the rig when we go rural....and, I always carry on person, too....

The other one I have has a leupold 1.5-5 on it. It's more used for hunting. I couldn't get it to group with that hot of load, 22 gr of h110 pushing 240 gr nosler got me 1 1/4 group at 100 yards. 23-24 gr opened it up to 3-4 inch group!
Mine doubles as my blacktail and truck gun. On a good day I can get a 3" group next time I load some up I'll dial it back a little and see what I can get! 1 1/4" is a suburb group for that set up! When I bought it I knew it wasn't going to shoot one hole and it would be a "minute of deer" gun. I use it in places where my shots will be under 100 yds so giving up an inch or so in grouping for the extra womp has proven successful so far.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top