JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My friend bought a Browning 1911 .380
New in the Box
We put first rounds through it today.

Had a problem -
the first round would not go into battery.

Factory Ammo - PMC FMJ

When loading the magazine, whether the slide was locked back or not,
then dropping slide, both by using the release button, or by racking,
Then the pistol would not be in battery.

Using supplied magazines
Tried with 1 round, 5 and full magazine.

I sent them home to clean and lube.

Any suggestions / hints / tips?

It did happen to both of us.
I really don't think I had a finger on the slide when releasing and I certainly had a proper grip.

When I would press the slide forward I could hear a "Click" making me wonder about the extractor too.

I did ask for a model number, but I think this is the one
https://www.browning.com/products/f...-380-black-label-medallion-pro-with-rail.html

TIA

Need pics to see what position the round is when everything comes to an unintended stop.

Sorry didn't take. 🙇‍♀️

Best description is round appears to be in the chamber - there may be a visible gap to show the slide is not fully forward

I never saw it as far as this image I stole from the interwebs.
But these are matching what we observed.

loads%2F2017%2F04%2F9mm-live-round-lock-out-2-crop.jpg

Update
Found this brief U-tube which shows the first round not going into battery. Matches what we had.

Last Edited:
If the round stops in that position, the extractor already has control of it.

My first thoughts are the lower lugs. Me thinks you have a slight bind that initial loading can't overcome, but firing can.

Am guessing once a round gets chambered the pistol runs without fail?

If the round stops in that position, the extractor already has control of it.

My first thoughts are the lower lugs. Me thinks you have a slight bind that initial loading can't overcome, but firing can.

Am guessing once a round gets chambered the pistol runs without fail?
Yes

Once I pressed the slide home, I was able to run full mags slow shooting and quick
* I didn't exceed the 2 rounds/second limit at the range, of course ;-)

My wife's Glock 42 will not run with that PMC .380 ammo. Last I checked the ft/lbs energy was <185 and it would jam all the time. We switched up the ammo to Rem and Hornaday with >185ft/lbs and it runs 100%

From the comments of a youtube video
on the Browning 1911-380 Failure to Go Into Battery AFTER returned from Browning ...

Extractor Tension -

"If the slide is not going fully into battery (all the way forward), it's a sign that the extractor is too tight. What you did (slightly bend the extractor ... for less tension) is exactly correct. With the slide off, you should be able to push an empty shell rim into the extractor, shake it up & down & the shell should not fall out (if it's adjusted correctly)."

I know, Gunsmithing by YouTube is about as smart as Lawyering that way.

edit to add:
U-tuby video we followed the advice on the Extractor

Last Edited:
As I stated above, if the round is started in the chamber, the extractor has control of the round.

If the tension is too much, the extractor won't allow the case rim to fully enter the extractor hook and will jam the round before entering the chamber.

Still could be a variety if things. If it was closer I'd look it over...no charge.

Went to my buddies house, we looked at the extractor, it was a bit "tight" similar to the video I got that comment from.

A light touch to "bend" and we got 6 in a row to load in battery.
A couple of rounds in the mag, using various ways as start and to release the magazine
- load mag while in slide lock
- while not at slide lock
- "sling shot"
- release button

Also cleaned and lubed with Rem Oil.

We couldn't make it to the range, but it feels a lot "better"

I'll update in a couple of weeks after the next trip.

edit
adding U-tuby I found after
Tuning a 1911 style Extractor

Check Extractor Tension

DIY: Extractor Tension on a 1911 Pistol

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show