Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Trouble loading JHP in Kimber 45ACP?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Beta1759, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Beta1759

Beta1759 Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have probably shot about 1600 rds of FMJ thru my Kimber Ultra Carry 45. For some reason, i have NOT been able to find a JHP that I can shoot without it either getting stuck on the ramp or FTE. I haven't had any problems with the FMJ rounds. I have tried like 6 different brands of JHP and haven't had any that i can fire successfully for 100 rds. I think i have been able to go a max of 40 rounds without a failure. Any suggestions on a fix or ammo would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for a JHP round i can carry and know its going to fire without fail (hopefully wont ever need to try).

2. netsecsys

netsecsys near: Bellingham, WA Active Member

What mags are you using?

3. Beta1759

I bought 2 kimber tacmags. Both work great with FMJ, and these have been the only mags i have used since i bought the gun.

4. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

Is the feed ramp polished ???

5. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

I use chip mc cormack mags in my ultra carry. I've run different profile hp's through it and have 0 issues. Maybe some manufactures have different follower profiles. Also that many rounds through the 2 magazines may have something to do with it. Try several other brands mags or replace your springs in the 2 mags you have.

6. Beta1759

I haven't polish it personally, I thought about it, but was afraid I was gonna ruin it somehow.

7. netsecsys

If you have a buddy that uses wilson combat or another higher end mags that will fit yours, I would suggest giving them a try. I have had a number of 1911s that are particular when it comes to eating jhp..my Les Baer will not eat from Nighthawk mags but chows down with Cobramags. I have yet to fail with Wilson Combat 47D either.

Results from a quick google search brings up some issues with the extractor that might be the problem.

Good luck in tracking down the problem. :thumbup:

8. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

What are you using for lubrication on your gun? I have a kimber classic custom that I have probably fired tens of thousands of rounds through and I've never had a problem with any off the shelf hollow points. What brand of hollow points are you using? I've mostly used winchester personal defense (old stuff), speer gold dots, magtech, and now I'm using the new winchester bonded (PDX1 or whatever) and havn't had an FTE or FTF.

Stick to a light machine oil like remington's remoil, or just wipe everything down in hoppes. Also, check the weight of your main spring, the standard one should be 16lb, but you can swap it out for a 14lb, but I wouldn't push a ton of hardball ammo through it with that spring in. I am guessing the hollowpoints you are shooting are the light 185gr bullets. I would suggest finding some that are in the 200gr range (the winchester PDX1 is a 230gr bullet).

I can only surmise that the light weight bullets are travelling so fast that they don't impart enough recoil energy into the slide to get it to cycle. Since most of this ammo is designed to work in all guns, I can only assume it's an irregularity with the gun that is causing this issue, and typically the two most problematic areas are lubrication and spring tension.

9. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Don't touch the feed ramp. The frame is aluminum, and is easily ruined. All models from Kimber come with the ramp ready to go. Since the 1911 relies on a controlled feed process, to much polishing will inhibit its engineered design.

The Ultra-carry sports a 3" barrel, so the recoil spring should be in the 20lb+ range.

Also need to know what position the round is in when you encounter the stoppage. A photo of that would greatly help...not enough info yet to confirm what the problem is.

10. PORet

PORet Springfield, Oregon New Member

This may sound strange but it is something that worked for me. I got some loading data from a local guru for 185 gr JHP bullets. The guru told me there would be loading and extraction problems. He also told me to take my needlenose pliers and open up the top of the magazine slightly, and the problems would go away. I did as the guru instructed and it worked perfectly. I would suggest you pick up a couple of extra magazines, it's a 45 ACP, I think by law you have to have 4 mag's anyway. Go to pawn shops or similar places and buy two that lock into your Kimber. Then take you bullets and needlenose pliers to the range and give the guru method a try. Won't really cost you anything as you needed the extra mag's anyway.

11. netsecsys

Where did this one come from and was it uncomfortable when it was there? :huh:

12. olyshoots

olyshoots Vancouver USA Member

Clean it now, thoroughly, per instructions above. Then, follow PORet's advice - it is a good recommendation. If that's not it, it's something more technical, including possibly the feed ramp, and for that you go to a trusty 1911 doctor.

13. pdx1

pdx1 Portland Area Active Member

I have an Ultra Carry II
    I would be willing to meet up and let you try
    out a mag. (I use both The factory and wilson combat)
    never had a single issue feeding, jhp or otherwise...
    I am a member at JCGC so you could test there if that works for you..
    PM me if interested.

14. Beta1759

Thanks for everyones input. I have polished the ramp with stainless steel polish (my barrel isnt stainless steel but that is all i had under the sink) and a qtip. Seems to have done the trick. Thanks again for the info guys!