JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a KelTec PF9 that hates hollow point self defence ammo. It just won't feed more than 2 before jamming. It feeds ball ammo fine. The s.d ammo I am using is the Winchester LE 147 grain 9mm.
It seems the hollow points just don't slide up the feed ramp fast enough. Is there a 'filled' hollow point sd ammo readily available? Any other suggestions? (besides replacing the KelTec :s0114:, my main carry is an XD)

Without actually inspecting the weapon it is impossible to offer intelligent feedback, ( and some would say not even then), but this is a problem that occurs with some HP ammo. If you are not savvy to tweaking pistols take it to a gunsmith you trust and have him look it over. Maybe a little ramp tweaking could help.

The LE is all the hollow point I have put through it. I have run several boxes of Bi-Mart green/white box special through it without a hitch. I also used crocus-cloth to polish the feed ramp 2 cleanings ago. I just found a out-of-home gunsmith is just down the road. Anyone have good/bad to say about: Revelation Arms in Aloha, Gunsmith Roger Loock ??
And any 'filled-tip' sd ammo?
Edit: I found the NWFA poll & comments on Revelation Arms. :s0054: (look first, then ask)

The older KT's used to have problems like this, usually polishing the feed ramp did the trick, or changing ammo. I use the Hornady Critical Defense in everything but my Taurus Judge (and there are no "feeding" problems in it with the PDX1's in it)!

Kel Tec doesn't polish anything other than just a tumble to take off the burrs. That extra hand finish just costs more. All the Kel-Tec's I have dealt with respond very well to some "Fluff-n-Buff" with 2,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and metal polish.

The Barrel is the big offender with the feeding problems. The feed ramp needs to be polished. Mine are shiny enough to see a reflection. Also, take some 2,000 grit sandpaper, wrapped around a pencil or dowel, and smooth out the chamber of the barrel. If you take a look at the top of the chamber you will probably notice that the top has some marks that show where the edge of the HP ammo has "stuck". Make it smooth and it will just slide into the chamber with ease. No need, or is it desirable, to polish the chamber, just make it smooth enough for the ammo to slide without sticking.

The factories use FMJ for the most part to test. The long round nose will chamber far easier than HP's that have an "edge" that tends to catch any imperfection.

In many cases the only difference between High End guns and Lower Cost ones like Kel-Tec is the amount of hand finish that goes into them. Some patience, sandpaper, and a dremel tool with metal polish, and one can make the Kel-Tec work flawlessly. Or you can just shoot the heck out of it, hoping that it will eventually break itself in.

I bought a Dremmel tool just for my PF-9. Polish the feed ramp and if that doesn't take care of it try switching ammo. Hornaday CD functions flawlessly in mine.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top