JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought this gun thinking I would have no issues... 100 rounds later, 3 or 4 jams and 2 misfires. Also, the slide failed to lock back on an empty mag 5 out of 7 times. I was shooting Blazer Brass aluminum at the PSTC range. All of my shots grouped low, 50/50 hit and miss at 20-25 yards (first time shooting a 9mm, so idk if that's decent or not... lol)
I'm really worried about the misfires and jamming, the clerk suggested the firing pin might have oil on it. The problem seemed to occur less the more I shot, but that doesn't make up for the slide failing to lock back on an empty mag, or does it? Too much oil or what?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

image.jpg

I have to ask, are you a seasoned handgun shooter?
Our P229 runs flawlessly with Blazer Brass 115gr as well as UMC and Remington 115gr FMJ

I'm going to go with @308. Are you new to shooting by any chance? Did you let anyone else shoot the gun? If so, did they experience the same problems? I've owned a couple of Sigs and have never experienced failures like that, even right out of the box. If you haven't shot a semi-auto before, know that they are susceptible to "limp-wristing", and will fail to cycle properly.

If you have the chance, let someone else shoot the gun, preferably someone you know has some experience and see if the problem continues. If it goes away with the shooter, then you have your answer.

Failures could be from over lubrication or limp wristing like others have said. Your running good ammo , but may try 124 grain if your using 115 to kick the slide a bit more until things loosen up. A firm grip and a few hundred rounds, lubed but not over lubed. You have a great pistol and most run flawless right from the box. Accuracy wise the pistol will out shoot you. Practice consistent grip and trigger pull. Line up the dots and put the front on the target. Combat sights. Have fun !

I sold my P320 to a guy who only shot revolvers. It took a little trying to get him to change his grip on the pistol. It made a huge difference. The Sig P320 never had a hiccup before that.

No gun or gun maker is perfect but an issue like that with a new Sig is suspect. I had 4 at one point and they really did run flawless. Sig customer service is funny. They are a little 'elitist' (IMO). Like, what can I do for you little person. But they are quick to send a shipping package or answer any questions even if they aren't a good one. Lol.

Sounds like a combination of a tight gun with new springs, and a new to semi autos shooter. Put the gun in the hands of an experienced semi auto shooter and then have them watch you. SIG's are fantastic, high quality firearms. I'd be quite surprised if the gun is at fault.

I've shot a few rounds through a high standard HD and a webley training model, but nothing big really (probably about 2000, and they're .22lr if anyone is unfamiliar). Also, I'm used to aiming at half way up the bullseye, and probably at about 10-15 yards... so practice with this firearm seems like the answer to the accuracy issue.
Also, since I heard sigs like to run wet, I probably over lubed. I scrubbed it down with gun oil, so I can imagine that being an issue. I did not know to avoid the firing pin so much, is there any way to fix that if I got oil in there? Full take down? Would this hault the slide lock, or is that a grip issue?
Thanks for the quick responses.

My Sisters 226 had similar issues as she fired it used, slightly dirty and without enough lube. Brief clean and proper lube, never had an issue since.

Thanks! I'll be back out to try it again soon. This time I'll have it lubed up with grease instead of oil. I can see the oil running into places I don't want it. Especially since I drenched the gun in it.
I'll keep working on that grip and proper cleaning/lubrication.
Thanks again

This is the problem I had when I was first learning to shoot my 229. The dude at the counter at pstc pointed out that my thumb was resting on the slide release. Changed my thumb position and never had another issue. And yes, they shoot low. Sight picture 3 is necessary for sure.

This is the problem I had when I was first learning to shoot my 229. The dude at the counter at pstc pointed out that my thumb was resting on the slide release. Changed my thumb position and never had another issue. And yes, they shoot low. Sight picture 3 is necessary for sure.
How did that or could that cause misfires?

I used to own a P220, and it had a flawless reliability record. Not sure where you heard SIG's need to be drenched in lubricant, but I don't believe that's the case at all. Lubricant and powder residue make gunk that will really gum up the works. In all cases, follow the manufacturer's recommendation. If that doesn't work, you can vary as needed. Don't go crazy with oil and grease.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top