JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why wouldn't it be? A 10% discount is a 10% discount, $50-$60 depending on what you're buying. Now, driving from Seattle to Portland specifically to avoid sales tax is simply idiotic.

I won't be driving to Portland just to go shopping. I'm going to be there anyway to visit my wife's family. Since I'll be in Portland there should not be any transfer fees if I buy from a dealer.
I'm going to be there for 3 days. Is there a waiting period?

I won't be driving to Portland just to go shopping. I'm going to be there anyway to visit my wife's family. Since I'll be in Portland there should not be any transfer fees if I buy from a dealer.
I'm going to be there for 3 days. Is there a waiting period?

no waiting period, but unless you are an Oregon resident, a dealer cannot legally sale to you without first transferring to a Washington FFL...

No, I'm a Washington resident. I thought you had to be an Oregon resident to transfer a handgun not a rifle. Oh well, I suppose our state can use the money to buy artwork for freeways! :s0114:

Huh? When did that happen? I bought a shotgun from GI Joes about six or seven years in Portland and walked out the door as a Washington resident. Have things changed recently?

unfortunately, any firearm:( sorry

Sandman, a resident of a neighboring state may buy a long gun in Oregon. I'm a Washington resident and just two months ago purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 15.-22, in Portland. My wife bought me a rifle for Father's Day, and she got that in Gresham.

NO FFL REQUIRED FOR LONG GUN IN NEIGHBORING STATE.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of blantantly WRONG information stated as fact...

As stated by SgtMac, DavidGPO, Spray, and 2506, it is completely legal for a resident from any state to purchase a long gun or shotgun in any state where legal to do so...

From the ATF:

B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of blantantly WRONG information stated as fact...

As stated by SgtMac, DavidGPO, Spray, and 2506, it is completely legal for a resident from any state to purchase a long gun or shotgun in any state where legal to do so...

From the ATF:

B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Yup;

And here are the respective Washington State and Oregon State Laws:

RCW 9.41.122 Out-of-state purchasing.

Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made.

ORS 166.490 Purchase of firearms in certain other states. (1) As used in this section, unless the context requires otherwise:

(a) “Contiguous state” means California, Idaho, Nevada or Washington.

(b) “Resident” includes an individual or a corporation or other business entity that maintains a place of business in this state.

(2) A resident of this state may purchase or otherwise obtain a rifle or shotgun in a contiguous state and receive in this state or transport into this state such rifle or shotgun, unless the purchase or transfer violates the law of this state, the state in which the purchase or transfer is made or the United States.

(3) This section does not apply to the purchase, receipt or transportation of rifles and shotguns by federally licensed firearms manufacturers, importers, dealers or collectors.

(4) This section expires and stands repealed upon the date that section 922(b) (3) of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 922(b) (3)) and regulations pursuant thereto are repealed or rescinded. [1969 c.289 §§1,2,3,4]

:s0155:

All,
I apologize for the misinformation:(, I stand corrected. This is what I was to understand from an FFL at the last show I was at(Expo), unfortunately I don't remember which one. Like I have said before, there is so much to learn from this site.

To the OP,
sure, come to Oregon, and get your rifle. depending on the price you could be saving a boatload of money.:s0155:Heck, hit me with a PM and I'll give ya directions to the stores on the east side of Portland, if that is the side you will be on...and which stores will rip you off/have POOR customer service. :winkkiss:Good hunting!

Sandman, a resident of a neighboring state may buy a long gun in Oregon. I'm a Washington resident and just two months ago purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 15.-22, in Portland. My wife bought me a rifle for Father's Day, and she got that in Gresham.

NO FFL REQUIRED FOR LONG GUN IN NEIGHBORING STATE.

+1

I'm glad your wife made it out of Gresham and safely back to Vantucky.

To the OP,
sure, come to Oregon, and get your rifle. depending on the price you could be saving a boatload of money.:s0155:Heck, hit me with a PM and I'll give ya directions to the stores on the east side of Portland, if that is the side you will be on...and which stores will rip you off/have POOR customer service. :winkkiss:Good hunting!

You'll save money even on a 10/22. Bi-Mart frequently has them for $189 * .081 is $15.31 in sales tax. Do it in OR and pay a flat rate of $10 for the background check.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out you are supposed to pay use tax on the rifle once you get home :s0140:

Ironically it's cheaper for an OR resident to buy a long gun in WA for virtually the same reason. No background check fee in WA and they can show OR ID to be exempt from sales tax to save $10.

Gotta love gooberment.

It does not amaze me -- the gun laws are (deliberately?) confusing with various jurisdictions (federal, state, local), and often contain confusing exceptions. It is an "infringement" of our rights to need a lawyer, a GPS system, a computer, and a ouji-board to legally buy, own, transport, and carry a gun.

Just imagine buying a gun out of state and travelling across the country with it. You would need a computer, a GPS, and a lawyer to tell if if you needed to unload the gun, hide the gun, store it in a safe, fill out a permit for this, that, the other jurisdicition, re-load the gun, put it in the glove box, get fingerprinted, put away the 10-round magazines, ask "pretty please may I", etc. etc. etc.

Ironically it's cheaper for an OR resident to buy a long gun in WA for virtually the same reason. No background check fee in WA and they can show OR ID to be exempt from sales tax to save $10.

Gotta love gooberment.[/QUOTE]

+1 :s0155:, I didn't know there was no background check fee in washington I may have to take my long arm business across the river.

Just talked to someone at Dick's SG. He said longarms and shotguns are OK. But he did not mention the transfer fee. They are higher than Cabella's. I'll check in at Bi-Mart and see what they have.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top