JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First time. Trip landed in our favor through a work related matter. Going to try to go nuts for the kiddo.

Pointers for those that have been. Places to go, advice on theme parks. Anything helps!

Thanks,

Reno

Never been there. 3 things to watch out for...

1. Florida man/woman/beast :s0064:

2. Alligators.

3. Humidity so oppressive, the ATF uses it as a model

Edit. Heard good things about Universal Studios park. Would avoid Disney World, although they do have a lot of Star Wars things nowadays. Beaches...pretty good spots, don't freak out over the sight of extremely skimpy bikinis on bodies that may or may not fit the bikinis,.and certainly don't get uptight about banana smuggling hammocks on the dudes... don't forget. There's a lot of exhibitionists and nudists on the Florida beaches, particularly around Miami which is a fair bit away from Orlando.

First time. Trip landed in our favor through a work related matter. Going to try to go nuts for the kiddo.

Pointers for those that have been. Places to go, advice on theme parks. Anything helps!

Thanks,

Reno
Grew up in Florida and South Carolina.

Alligators are everywhere. If there are signs that say do not enter water. Follow the instructions.

It's been years since I've been there but purchasing Fast Pass is worth it.

From what I've heard from family that still live there, there are a lot of things to do. Don't try to do all of them. Pick a few places.

Been there. Also Tampa Airport is about an hour+half away, could work in your favor for travel.

Do not use D themed tags / bags cause that is what everyone else has done.

The Citrus Tower is, well, your kids will hate it, like as Florida as can be.

Air Boats - lots of fun if you ask me, which you kinda did. I did that with my dad on Crystal River.

Ultralights: (Mike Rowe did that....I took my dad but it was too windy to fly that day. Had a great breakfast there)

The Space Coast - Cocoa Beach

Homosassa has the "mermaids" show.

There are toll roads - plan accordingly. Rental Cars can have the pass included if you wan to do that. There are ways around without those.

Tom Brady lives in St. Pete. Go ask him if he is really truely retired, or if he is going after Brett Farves record on retiring too.

Golf. There are hundreds of courses.

Fishing. What you want they got.

The Heart is were my dad lived. Bushnell is where he and my uncle are interred in the National Cemetery.

1658175846634.png

There are plenty of those Coupon Queen type sites on how to plan your Magic Kingdom visits.

Humidity is BRUTAL 24/7 EVEN WITH AIR CONDITIONING. You ARE NOT prepared for 98° and 100% humidity. So, cold showers, swimming pools, and HYDRATE. Around 2-3 in the afternoon, there will be a rainstorm, thunder, and lightening. Pretty cool to watch and generally over in about 30 minutes. Cools the temperature a bit for the afternoon.

Food tip: depending on where you are from or where you have been, Florida has some of the best tasting fruits and vegetables. Pineapple, all kinds of melons, and citrus fruits are so sweet and flavorful. I thought we did pretty good in Oregon with our fruits and veggies, but Florida is another level.

1. Universal Studios is fun, but if going in summer, expect long wait lines around 1.5-2.5 hours depending on the ride. Near closing time is easier as it thins out.
2. Busch Gardens is fantastic, generally not as busy, and quite frankly, more fun in my opinion. More coasters to ride as well. Montu, Kumba, and Scorpion FTW. Haven't been on the newer ones, but they look great too. About 1.5 hours from Orlando.
3. Airboat ride through the Evergaldes with gators
4. Sanibel Island and Sea Shell Museum. Beautiful location, but about 3 hours away.
5. Kennedy Space Center

Beyond that, there are tons of smaller parks, theme parks, bikes, beaches, kayaks, boat tours, food, aquariums, and other things to see and do.

I go twice a year to there to see the kiddo who lives with his mom, plus used to be a resident.

- avoid I-4, worse freeway ever.
- Sunpass is worth whatever $ your rental car company charges.
- The major parks are running limited capacity still, even though FL suspended all Covid restrictions long time ago, so your best bet is to pick a day and check online if that day isn't sold out. They're always gonna be busy no matter what day, so enjoy it the best you can.
- SeaWorld, Legoland and Fun Spot are never busy like the major theme parks, might be worth it to check those out. My kid and I love Fun Spot on International Drive, it has 3 go-kart tracks that are a blast. There's a 2nd Fun Spot location that isn't as big in Kissimmee by Machine Gun America (yeah, they got that there too)
- South Orlando has Gatorland. It's the most Florida zoo there is lol but me and the kiddo love it. They have some big bubblegum gators there.
- Tampa isn't far and has alot of stuff to do
- Daytona isn't far either
- favorite beaches from my time living there: Cocoa Beach and Melbourne. New Smyrna isn't bad either.
- try 4 Rivers BBQ if you like BBQ.

Humidity is BRUTAL 24/7 EVEN WITH AIR CONDITIONING. You ARE NOT prepared for 98° and 100% humidity. So, cold showers, swimming pools, and HYDRATE. Around 2-3 in the afternoon, there will be a rainstorm, thunder, and lightening. Pretty cool to watch and generally over in about 30 minutes. Cools the temperature a bit for the afternoon.

Food tip: depending on where you are from or where you have been, Florida has some of the best tasting fruits and vegetables. Pineapple, all kinds of melons, and citrus fruits are so sweet and flavorful. I thought we did pretty good in Oregon with our fruits and veggies, but Florida is another level.

1. Universal Studios is fun, but if going in summer, expect long wait lines around 1.5-2.5 hours depending on the ride. Near closing time is easier as it thins out.
2. Busch Gardens is fantastic, generally not as busy, and quite frankly, more fun in my opinion. More coasters to ride as well. Montu, Kumba, and Scorpion FTW. Haven't been on the newer ones, but they look great too. About 1.5 hours from Orlando.
3. Airboat ride through the Evergaldes with gators
4. Sanibel Island and Sea Shell Museum. Beautiful location, but about 3 hours away.
5. Kennedy Space Center

Beyond that, there are tons of smaller parks, theme parks, bikes, beaches, kayaks, boat tours, food, aquariums, and other things to see and do.
This. If the heat is oppressive, a trip to the beach helps.

The Kennedy Space Center can be seen with a bus tour. The tour is very well organized, so unless you want to spend a lot of time looking at details or have other things to do in that area (and have a rental car) it is hard to beat.

Valiant Air Command Warbird Museum in Titusville is worth checking out if that sort of thing interests you.' Again, you will need a rental car.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top