JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I have a bunch of .40 brass that I got from my friend...it's once shot brass, different brands. I've tumbled it, deprimed them and brushed out the insides.

So last night I sat down to start measuring the case lengths to ensure they are below the .850 OAL for the shell casing. I found that most were .84x range but a few were .83x.

Should I trim all my brass to the same lenght regardless or just load up, so long as I'm under the .850 length? Does the different lengths affect accuracy?

Thanks,

When I started I was checking ALL my handgun brass for length. Everyone I talked to said they never trim handgun brass, that handgun brass doesn't get stressed enough during firing to "Grow" in length like rifle brass. With that being said, if you ever get to loading rounds that require a roll crimp, (.38/.357, .44, .45Colt) your going to want that brass to be within .002 of each other, if it's not your roll crimp will be different from round to round. Some cases will crimp light and other may wrinkle.
That's my experience!

Mike

Since the 40 S&W uses the case mouth to headspace the cartridge the only appropriated crimp is a taper crimp. It's a lot more forgiving than a roll crimp when you have case length variations.

If one wants to be somewhat OCD they can just sort the whole bunch into groups. Longer cases in one pile, average length in another, and those which are shorter than the average in the last.

That way one can just reset the crimp die with each "batch" and not worry about different crimps from case to case.

Thanks guys,

Just wanted to make sure before spending a few hours sorting all the brass.

From what you guys have said and what I've read trimming is only really needed for rifle brass.

Thanks again,
Jeff

trimming is only really needed for rifle brass.

Thanks again,
Jeff

AND Rimmed pistol brass that uses a roll crimp. That is unless you don't mind inconsistent crimps. With the roll crimp the process is greatly effected by the case length. Longer case more crimp, shorter case, less crimp. These variations CAN make a difference in how the cartridge performs. In extreme cases too little crimp can lead to severe pressure issues with reduced loads or CERTAIN powders.

Since your original post referred to an autoloader brass this information is more for those that think you NEVER have to worry about trimming pistol cases.

FWIW, we've all been told to brush our teeth after we eat ANYTHING but do we?:cool:

Funny stuff Deadshot....LOL

Flyguy, when you're crimping that .40, or 9mm for that matter, OR any taper crimp rounds, you'll notice the difference in case length by the feel of the press when you crimp. This is my experience on a single stage RCBS, don't know what a progressive might feel like.

if you had your next sponsorship deal for (insert competitive shooting sport here) I might worry about case length variations in your .40 brass. However, a better course of action would probably be just to sort it by headstamp.

Just got my Little Crow WFT worlds fastest trimer for 69bks from Midway, and I love it!

Google it and watch video! I have a lot of LC brass and I will be buying their Boy model now after trying it for .223.

plus minus 1 thousand OAL.... I size with rcbs AR dies and trim.... I swage 1st on dillion super swager.
Trimmer is awsome!
Just FYI

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews