JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As horrible of a thought as it is, kicking around the idea of moving back to Tennessee/Georgia. I miss bass fishing and hog hunting galore, in addition to incredibly low cost of living. Love the PNW and have lived here most of my life, but something about the South that is intoxicating and it isn't just the moonshine. Figure if I head back there, I will cut down the collection to ease the burden on packing/hauling a safe.

Anyone ever had to go through thinning the heard before? :(

As horrible of a thought as it is, kicking around the idea of moving back to Tennessee/Georgia. I miss bass fishing and hog hunting galore, in addition to incredibly low cost of living. Love the PNW and have lived here most of my life, but something about the South that is intoxicating and it isn't just the moonshine. Figure if I head back there, I will cut down the collection to ease the burden on packing/hauling a safe.

Anyone ever had to go through thinning the heard before? :(
Take me with you

I've trimmed my collection down for various reasons. Several times all the way down to irreplaceables. It happens. Look at the guns that for one reason or another cannot be replaced. Never get rid of family heirlooms.

When I opened my shop, I was underfunded. I sold almost everything that wasn't nailed down. It has taken me several years to get back even a portion of where I was. It works, makes it easy to readjust the aim of your collection.

I've trimmed my stuff down to barely nubbin size a couple times.

It grows back surprisingly fast....IF you keep them important 'key pieces' from your personal/family history. The rest is just disposable ballast.

I am in the process of trimming mine. Had a friend as how my gun collection was and just something about that word, collection hit me the wrong way.

collection

[kuh-lek-shuh n]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
the act of collecting.
something that is collected; a group of objects or an amount of material accumulated in one location, especially for some purpose or as a result of some process:
a stamp collection; a collection of unclaimed hats in the checkroom; a collection of books on Churchill.
the works of art constituting the holdings of an art museum:
a history of the museum and of the collection.
the gathered or exhibited works of a single painter, sculptor, etc.:
an excellent Picasso collection.
collections, the various holdings of an art museum organized by category, as painting, sculpture, works on paper, photography, or film:
the director of the collections.
the clothes or other items produced by a designer, especially for a seasonal line:
the spring collection.
a sum of money collected, especially for charity or church use.

The advantage of selling and rebuilding is when you rebuild, you know what is good and don't buy cheep stuff that you might otherwise. With age and experiance we learn what the good stuff is and avoid the rest.

I thought this was going to be about trimmed brass...
Like maybe you had some 7.62 casings trimmed down to work for 30 Mauser...

You wouldn't be the first person from the PNW to move to the south, it was actually extremely common in the early 2000's.

Yep, I've gone thru downsizing, or the thought of it, many times. It never seems to stick. And downsizing a gun collection just to save space for a move, you're kidding yourself. If ya need to downsize to pay for a move, that's a different story and more reasonable.

Part 2 of this discussion...If you can escape to the South, I am envious.

I thought this was going to be about trimmed brass...
Like maybe you had some 7.62 casings trimmed down to work for 30 Mauser...

You wouldn't be the first person from the PNW to move to the south, it was actually extremely common in the early 2000's.
My dad used to always pray for severe winters to chase the Californians Home. I grew up with stories about the civil war and places like Andersonville that a Montana cousin resided in during 1864-65. I have spent a lot of time in the south training in the Military and some travel but have never been comfortable there. Aggressive poisonous snakes, worms that crawl into your bloodstream through bare feet, alligators in swimming holes, days that very 2 degrees from the heat of the day to the cool of night, 100% humidity, scorpions, deadly spiders, leaches, malaria infested mosquitoes .........I can deal with all that stuff if nessisary but guess I am a northwest guy. I do appreciate the great conservitives the south sends to Congress these days but even my earliest American family members seldom ventured south of Virginia without having to fight a war. Good luck with your move......shouldn't be too difficult in our modern age and will be an adventure.

Last Edited:
I am trying to start thinking about convincing myself to perhaps reduce the number of firearms I have NEVER USED. There is stuff somewhere, (someplace?) inside one of the safes 8 years old and still NIB. New in box. non loaded. Unfired.

It gets worserer. Even the 8 year old double cardboard boxes were saved too. They languish somewhere in the very dry attic gathering roof leaks and critter nests. I do need to thin the herd. Some of the herd I do not know exists? :)

I plan on heading the other direction if/when I can.

Alaska Ho!!
In my dad's later years, he said if he was younger.......he would be in Alaska. I do love the place a lot and it is in keeping with our familie's Western motivated exploration gene. Today even remote areas are much less difficult to survive and enjoy. As far as moving guns, they are like jewelry, not very large or heavy, pretty simple to transport. Unless you need the cash, I would be much more likely to sacrifice a couch or refrigerator for space saving instead of guns. Or......sell the safe and keep the guns.

You are smart to move out of Oregon, you will have better opportunities and cheaper living if you move away from the west coast. We will get nothing here but higher taxes and more gun controls. Good luck :)

You don't need much of anything and moving has a way of showing you this.
That's so true when my mom moved up here she and her friends packed a u haul and then my sister went down to Cali to drive it up.it was hilarious when we were unloading it here so much useless stuff we would just hold something up and laugh and say THIS JUST HAD TO MAKE THE TRIP RIGHT LOL all day long ANOTHER THING THAT HAD TO MAKE THE TRIP

That's so true when my mom moved up here she and her friends packed a u haul and then my sister went down to Cali to drive it up.it was hilarious when we were unloading it here so much useless stuff we would just hold something up and laugh and say THIS JUST HAD TO MAKE THE TRIP RIGHT LOL all day long ANOTHER THING THAT HAD TO MAKE THE TRIP

Like our boxed up stuff that was necessary to move, 23 years ago, but is still stored in my garage, in the same boxes.:s0037:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top