JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The reason I brought this up is, :cool:I acquired what looks like a case length die with file marks on the throat end. When I asked about them I was told, "If the case sticks out, you file it off to the right length.:p O-K..:s0131: Sounded a little strange to me.:confused: ...YUP Sure, Any I.D.'s..:s0155:

The reason I brought this up is, :cool:I acquired what looks like a case length die with file marks on the throat end. When I asked about them I was told, "If the case sticks out, you file it off to the right length.:p O-K..:s0131: Sounded a little strange to me.:confused: ...YUP Sure, Any I.D.'s..:s0155:

Yep.

That is an older RCBS or Lee trim die that you install in your single stage press. Run a case up into it and file away. Its effective and simple. Sure, you can use a file, Drumal or small grinder to do the job. Just ensure the die is set for the length you want and don't file the die down too much in the mean time. De-bur the case inside and out afterwards.

Thanks Bend:s0155:
Other than rim fire the AR is my first semi-auto rifle and I didn't realize how critical it's care and feeding was.:s0131: Even though I carried a BAR in the military. Up to this point all of my reloading has been for revolver, or bolt action rifles and I've never had to concern myself with case lengths, or full length sizing. For many years all I used was a Lyman (Nut Cracker).:s0155:

Capn-

The length of cases is not all that critical in wheel guns unless you want to crimp at the same point or until the cases extend past the chambers. ;)

However, bolty's are just as critical on case length as is the AR. A long neck being constrained by going past the throut and not being able to fully open can cause a kaboom. Keep the cases at or just below SAMMI. I trim mine to .015 inches short then trim the batch back again when at least 1 of a sample of 10 in the batch is beyond SAMMI length.

Editted.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top