JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Which terminology do you prefer?

I see the organization Tread Lightly uses the term "Trigger Trash" to define the trash left in the woods by target shooters. To me, that implies; "Those with triggers, trash the woods". I take that to mean; "If you own a gun, you are Trash". I like Tread Lightly, and I like their efforts to help try to do something about the problem of trash left behind in the woods by target shooters, however, I'm not so comfy with the cutesy terminology "Trigger Trash". Makes me also think of the term, "Trailer Trash", closely associated to and implying that, if you live in a trailer you must be trash.

Wouldn't a better term be "Target Trash"? To me, that implies the result of target shooting, and not causing you to focus on individuals with triggers. Certainly, the source of the problem is with the individual who does the target shooting and then leaves their trashed targets and shell casings behind (along with TV's, computers and the whole kitchen sink!). I feel we should be addressing it in terms more like "Target Trash".

As I develop announcements for the Clean Up projects we do, I have been using the term "Target Trash" because I feel it lends more focus to the result rather than the broader implication that all gun owners in general did this.

What do you think? Should I go with "Target Trash"? Or, is "Trigger Trash" more on target?

Thanks for you input,

Bill

What's wrong with just "trash"? We all know who left it and we want nothing to do with the bastards.

I am not a fan of either term as both associate garbage with shooting.

We have a people problem, not a garbage problem. Let's not do anything further to associate the litterbug inconsiderate Jackwagon's with the upstanding shooting comunity

Trash is trash, just call it trash.
Why the H connect it to firearms at all.
There are dumpers out there that thrash the place too that have nothing to do with shooters.

What's wrong with just "trash"? We all know who left it and we want nothing to do with the bastards.

I am not a fan of either term as both associate garbage with shooting.

We have a people problem, not a garbage problem. Let's not do anything further to associate the litterbug inconsiderate Jackwagon's with the upstanding shooting comunity

Yep my sentiments too. Keep the descriptions to what it is and not connected to shooting.
Some of the things left there were just dumped there and just ended up being used as targets. Not all of it was brought up by target shooters.

Got it. Trash is trash. Doesn't matter how it got there, it soils the forest. And it doesn't matter if it has bullet holes or not, we'll still clean it up, just because it's there.

Problem is, if people see bullet holes, they automatically associate it with people with guns. Therefore, I wasn't too thrilled with Tread Lightly's term "Trigger Trash" and wanted to shy away from that. You've helped me to see that even using the term Target Trash, still leads the reader to the think "shooters".

Trash it will be.

I was out in the woods one time and there was a whole truck completely rusted out mist have been there for years. Some mudder probably wrecked and took the stuff worth saving and left the rest. You better believe I shot the hell out it.

Normally I pack any crap I find out but I left that.

I was out in the woods one time and there was a whole truck completely rusted out mist have been there for years. Some mudder probably wrecked and took the stuff worth saving and left the rest. You better believe I shot the hell out it.

Normally I pack any crap I find out but I left that.

Dammit you shot the hell out of it? I was going back to get that truck next week once my new starter came in......:(

Brutus out

Dammit you shot the hell out of it? I was going back to get that truck next week once my new starter came in......:(

Brutus out

Hah, sorry.

But you should have seen how long this truck frame has been there, I could have pushed my hand through the frame it was nothing but rust, the fabric in the seats had rotted off. There was no fixing it. (I'm not a total jerk if it was fixable I would have towed it to my house for myself.(kidding))

Got it. Trash is trash. Doesn't matter how it got there, it soils the forest. And it doesn't matter if it has bullet holes or not, we'll still clean it up, just because it's there.

Problem is, if people see bullet holes, they automatically associate it with people with guns. Therefore, I wasn't too thrilled with Tread Lightly's term "Trigger Trash" and wanted to shy away from that. You've helped me to see that even using the term Target Trash, still leads the reader to the think "shooters".

Trash it will be.

I was giving this some thought while I was out mowing this afternoon. What about something like "Target:Trash." It would imply the target we are going after is trash. It would work for clean ups and any literature generated to inform people about targeting trash, weather it's theirs or someone else. I am no English scholar, so I don't know if the colon is correct, I am just trying to make the "trash" more ambiguous.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top