JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the various gun videos I watch, gun tv shows or photos in gun mags, I see almost all pulling the trigger with the index finger's first joint/ crease.

As a young shooter, I was always admonished to use the tip of the index finger as sensitivity was greatest there.

When did that idea go out the window?
Just the tip.

For all guns, pad of the first joint [i.e., halfway between the crease and tip of the finger].

Only time I've had the trigger creep to the crease of the first joint was with a double action revolver with a real heavy pull.

way I look at it, there are no right or wrong answer. but yes, it does help getting advices from others.

shoot it to find out what works BEST FOR YOU.

Never even thought about what part of my finger makes contact; I just let my finger make contact where it naturally went. Now I don't know if it was the joint or the tip. My guess is that I will try it one way and it will be worse, then the other way and it will be worser.

Never even thought about what part of my finger makes contact; I just let my finger make contact where it naturally went. Now I don't know if it was the joint or the tip. My guess is that I will try it one way and it will be worse, then the other way and it will be worser.

Same. I've been instructed on it, but I just do what comes naturally. And that seems to vary from gun to gun, depending on the trigger.

Depends, if when showing a newb and they're pulling low left (right handed shooter) I'll have them adjust to pad vs joint. It normally corrects the issue.

Doesn't matter where the finger lands on the trigger...it's a training issue.

The finger should lay against the frame / stock...where your finger lands, there ya go.

Take world champion Rob Leatham, his finger touches the trigger guard with every shot, which means he's slapping the trigger with every shot...which is ground into everyone, not to do.

Train yourself to actuate the trigger so you don't change the aiming attitude of the firearm...there, where's that easy button.

Kinda like that dimwitted wheel telling you if your shot goes here, it means this is happening...ugh.

It is my humble opinion that the notion of one of these being more right than the other, is a load of crap. There are lots of factors at play here that can impact how much finger one needs on the trigger.

I say figure out which position works best for you...and recognize that on some weapons you might need to make some adjustment.

For example, if you are shooting something with a very heavy trigger, it is likely you are going to need more finger on that trigger than you would with a light trigger. Again, figure out what works best for you.

Side Note: If you find yourself consistently shooting off target...like all your shots are hitting a bit left or low left...try adjusting your finger position some and see if that helps resolve the issue.

Disclaimer: Everything I said above may be wrong. I am NOT a professional shooter and I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I'm just some guy on the interwebz and my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor!

There are lots of factors at play here that can impact how much finger one needs on the trigger.

This. Whatever works, works.

When shooting handguns, my trigger finger contact point is about halfway between the first joint and the very tip. If I get it more onto the tip, I tend to pull the shot left at the moment of ignition. Your hand acts like a clamp. Try it dry firing. If I put the trigger right in the joint, it tends to pull the shot slightly to the right. I can't imagine putting a Glock trigger in the joint. At age 70, my hands are still one of my better functioning physical features.

I've never had much issue with getting the trigger "right" on long guns. The platform is pretty stable in its basic, original design. But putting the trigger into the first joint just wouldn't be comfortable for me.

late 70s my introduction to 50' indoor bullseye matches, included to train into the notion 'finger pad' directly rearward yadda yadda would prove to be most accurate. Well, for a number of decades it did.

Outdoor range coaching at the time was just transiting from the old failed 'cup & saucer' theory into a series of modified Weaver stances, with amazing variation in 'which finger does what'.

Whatever the theories, it didn't take long to realize I could hit stuff I wasn't even aiming at, or miss stuff I actually WAS aiming at. IHMSA was a harsh task master. Fortunately, the Cowboy Action experience demonstrated that no target was too big or too close you couldn't find a way to miss regardless of where your finger was....the actual muzzle alignment at the moment the trigger broke had something to do with where the bullet impacted.

I have noted, that those actions that require me to use 'index finger joint' placement, usually are stiffer and demand subtle adjustment of other phases of the 'breaking the action' philosophy of ignition.

The finger tip was advised when guns' triggers had much lighter pulls than they do know. Because of liability gun companies have made trigger pulls much harder.
Using the tip or joint crease would be depended on how easy it is to pull back on the trigger by the shooter. Some shooters also have stronger index fingers.
Using the joint crease also causes (for most shooters and guns) to pull the trigger back and not move the handgun to the right or left.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top