JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering what other old-school pistol shooters like me (revolvers & 1911's) have learned about adding the Springfield XD or Glock-type trigger action/reset to muscle memory and instinctive shooting skill-sets.

Not interested in debates about internal parts, whether to carry a pistol with a finger in or out of the trigger guard, or why the thumb safety on a 1911 is so brilliant/stupid. Those 3 dead horses are still getting thrashed in another thread next door.

On a new Springfield XDm 40 (trigger action very similar to a Glock), it just feels odd easing the trigger back out gently enough to find that click at reset. It's distinctive and there's no missing it, but after maybe 5-6 shots, the flatter distal part of my finger has crept across onto the trigger, almost halfway to the first joint. Strange for a fingertip shooter.

Hardly an emergency. I'm already getting reasonable little groups at close to combat speed. But as I endeavor to tighten up with this pistol, will it affect how I shoot my others? Or might I just adapt to both kinds and become more versatile? That's the goal.

Tips? Ideas? Thanks.

I've noticed the same thing with the XD/xdm guns in 9mm and .40 but not really on the .45, I think that its a combo of the short trigger reach and a slick plastic trigger with a slightly rounded face, it doesn't seem to be as much a problem with the .45 because it fits bigger in the hand.

My 1911 has a flat ribbed face on the trigger and never seems to be a problem. So I think i'm in the same boat as you.

One thing you might try is to get a really high grip on the pistol and put your finger tip as high up on the trigger as you comfortably can this should put the top of you finger against the side of the gun. This usually works for me

I don't know.I never think about the reset.I just keep resetting as my finger does?

The XD I had for a week,I didn't like the trigger pull.Just wasn't right for me.Maybe it was just that one,cause everybody seems to love their XDs (your XDm has a different pull,no?)

But my glocks have always been about the same feel as my 1911s.Nothing to get used to

Main thing for me is getting the gun in the hand so it naturally points.Puts the sights on target evry time you bring it up.
Then adjust the finger to that grip.For me it has always been what part of the finger is on the trigger.Get the middle of the finger on it and pull the gun to the left.

Buy some more rounds and go shooting.I know this seems like punishment,but you just need to do it. ;)

This whole reset thing sounds like something outa the Slow Fire School fer points towards a promotion.
My rule of thumb :) is to keep pulling the trigger until the threat is down or I run outa ammo (or find a bigger gun).
My Glock has some after MKT trigger pull parts that make it feel more like a DA revolver, does that mean I have to RESET after I release the trigger so that it re-engages the trigger bar again?? NO!
So WHAT is RESET?
Racing Stripes says I!

My 1911? Well 1911's are perfect to start with so there is no comparison is there?
Do I have to release the trigger twice?
NO

I have several large frame, old school DA revolvers, but I have small hands so DA fire with them is a hassle, they are recreational 'guns'.
Do I pull the trigger twice, for one shot?
NO!
Trigger RESET sounds like 223 vs 5.56NATO to me; a non-existant problem searching YOUR WALLET for a soultion! HA!.

Teflon - I would suggest breaking the fingertip habit and indexing the trigger closer to that first joint. I think you'll find eventually that you'll have better/more consistent trigger control this way. Just keep doing reset drills and ramping up the speed and you'll quickly be able to master that trigger system. Cross-platform versatility is definitely a good thing.

A.I.P. - Clearly you have no idea what's being discussed here but let me try and clarify. On most triggers, as you take up the slack in preparation to break the shot you'll reach a "pressure wall" where the trigger pull firms up and the application of further pressure will discharge the weapon. After the weapon fires, as you release the trigger you'll notice at a certain point a typically audible/tactile click. That's the reset - at that point rearward pressure can again be applied to discharge the weapon once more. Maybe you should tone down the attitude when it comes to thing you don't understand. A quote by Abe Lincoln comes to mind... something about remaining silent or removing all doubt about something... :rolleyes:

My personal carry weapon is a Glock 23. I have consistently trained to release the trigger to the reset and no further. When you are first learning to do this, it feels very slow. I ALMOST felt like I was thinking too much about the trigger, and that my grouping was suffering for it. At the urging of an instructor, I persisted in using this method. I noticed that my muscle memory started taking over and I began to focus on my grouping again. I now release to reset, my shots are coming faster, and I have a tighter grouping than when I released through all the slack.

My muscle memory still isn't perfect. I have noticed that when I transition from rifle to sidearm, I tend to fully release the trigger after the first shot or two, then release only to reset. If I shot this way more often, I'm sure I could fix that.

Regarding finger position, I don't use my fingertip. When my hand is empty, and my index finger makes a trigger pull motion, there is a point in the middle of the distal phalanx where the pad of my finger indents. This is where my finger contacts the trigger. While this is obviously a matter of personal preference, we've all had to re-learn one thing or another to become a more effective shooter. Finger placement is one of the more difficult things to change, but it's worth looking into.

Just wondering what other old-school pistol shooters like me (revolvers & 1911's) have learned about adding the Springfield XD or Glock-type trigger action/reset to muscle memory and instinctive shooting skill-sets.

Not interested in debates about internal parts, whether to carry a pistol with a finger in or out of the trigger guard, or why the thumb safety on a 1911 is so brilliant/stupid. Those 3 dead horses are still getting thrashed in another thread next door.

On a new Springfield XDm 40 (trigger action very similar to a Glock), it just feels odd easing the trigger back out gently enough to find that click at reset. It's distinctive and there's no missing it, but after maybe 5-6 shots, the flatter distal part of my finger has crept across onto the trigger, almost halfway to the first joint. Strange for a fingertip shooter.

I thought that was just me...I've also noticed that my finger slides into the trigger guard more with my XD. Usually when I'm done shooting, the tip of my finger hurts a little bit. I intentionally drag the bottom of my finger across the bottom of the trigger guard and use the very tip of my finger (military style- using basically the middle of the fingernail). Even in double daps I can usually keep just the tip of my finger on the trigger- except for with my XD (and with CZ-75s, they tend to slap my finger back off the trigger [lol])

Hardly an emergency. I'm already getting reasonable little groups at close to combat speed. But as I endeavor to tighten up with this pistol, will it affect how I shoot my others? Or might I just adapt to both kinds and become more versatile? That's the goal.

Tips? Ideas? Thanks.

I'm experimenting with using different amounts of trigger finger, btw. I've noticed that even though my shots are OK, they're a little to the left when I use the tip of my finger. However, when I use more (i.e. closer to the first knuckle) I've noticed that my shots were pretty much center.

During dry fire (I specifically put a laser on my pistols to see if there was any difference) I noticed that when I pressed the trigger using just the tip, it slowly went a little left (I'm right handed btw). But when I used more trigger finger, the laser didn't move at all.

Am I saying one is better than the other? No...I have long, skinny fingers so my technique is probably different that someone with short fat fingers (at least I would think so).

Anyhoot...I'd say throw a laser on your pistol and do some dry drills to see what you feel is best.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top