JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought two Taurus Millennium 9mm pistols for my adult daughters. Both had very hard trigger pulls, both were sent in for warranty work One came back with a new trigger and sear and was acceptable.

In the middle of 25 or so rounds, the trigger pull of the second one, which only had a new trigger installed, became hard again, and the recoil became more severe.

Anyone out there have an idea of why that happened? I'm to anxious to send them back, but I will if that is what is needed.

I will, appreciate all your comments, even those which say I bought the wrong guns. . . . .

Sounds like they need to go back to Taurus again. Unfortunately I've seen many people have issues with the Millennium pistols. A friend of mine bought one brand new and it went back to Taurus without a shot ever being fired. The magazine release fell out of it from just normal handling.

I'm no rocket man but if I understand physics correctly, there's no way that "recoil became more severe", save if you have a bad/wild batch of ammo.
and oh, you bought the wrong guns. lol

I've never known anyone with a Taurus auto pistol that didn't have some kind of reliability issue. Son had one that made 8 trips to the range before it actually made it thru the day still functional.

On the other hand, I've know several with Taurus revolvers that actually did work for a while.

Thanks for your honest concern. For personal protection they both have S & W .380's. The idea was to get them into cheaper plinking ammo. I quickly get the idea I messed up. I'm glad this is an honest bunch!

Thanks for your honest concern. For personal protection they both have S & W .380's. The idea was to get them into cheaper plinking ammo. I quickly get the idea I messed up. I'm glad this is an honest bunch!
We all hate to see this. You were very well intentioned and made the same mistake that many others have. The good thing is you are aware of the situation and are proactive in the matter.
Look at the bright side, .380 plinking ammo isn't that expensive?. (now).. and you can always reload/handload any/all of the less common cartridges for essentially equivalent costs across the board.
I think Ruger makes a small 9mm that has a good reputation if you insist on that.. but of course be aware that small/light equals more recoil/wear etc. also. anyway

We all hate to see this. You were very well intentioned and made the same mistake that many others have. The good thing is you are aware of the situation and are proactive in the matter.
Look at the bright side, .380 plinking ammo isn't that expensive?. (now).. and you can always reload/handload any/all of the less common cartridges for essentially equivalent costs across the board.
I think Ruger makes a small 9mm that has a good reputation if you insist on that.. but of course be aware that small/light equals more recoil/wear etc. also. anyway
Thank you. I appreciate your quick and relevant responses. The option will probably be to go back to the dealer and work out a trade.

If for your daughters may I suggest a Walther PPK series, those are one dandy gun in something smaller. I assume your looking smaller guns from this thread path. They carry very well and carry mine often as well as a S&W 380 Bodyguard.

Myself I don't care much for polymer guns and would much rather have real gun. I don't much like Tupperware anything! My Bodyguard and MK3 Ruger are the only ones I own. To me "real steel is the real deal.

Big problem, there's so many great options out there and it can be hard to choose, but then it's pretty hard to choose a gun for someone else anyhow! Some guns feel good to some and terrible to others, so don't even try to choose a gun for someone else, I think that's a mistake.

Do you have access to a range that does rentals Popwood ? If so it might be a good idea to take the girls to the range and let them try out a bunch of different guns to see what they really like and find what works just right for them. That's the best bet IMHO.

Everyone tells me I need a Glock and there just so wonderful and yada yada yada ,, but to me there the most awkward, clunky POS with the worst grip angle ever! I can't hit the broad side of a barn with any of them. But I can drive tacks with most anything else. So there's just one example of whats good for one may not be good for everyone. So let them decide what fits just right. Then if needed they will be confident and competent with it, and that's what's really important.

My daughter picked the Sig 226,,,and BOY OH BOY is she ever competent with it,, she can Damn near out shoot the Old Man nowadays,,,,LOL!!!

Last Edited:
I've never known anyone with a Taurus auto pistol that didn't have some kind of reliability issue. Son had one that made 8 trips to the range before it actually made it thru the day still functional.

On the other hand, I've know several with Taurus revolvers that actually did work for a while.

I've owned a several taurus guns and had issues with only one of them. I currently have a PT1911 and PT92FS. Both are great guns and not had any issues that weren't ammo or shooter related, i.e. limp wristing or dud. The one I did have problems with was a millennium in 45. Mag would fall out after the first shot if fully loaded to 10 rounds. If you down loaded it to 9 it wasn't an issue. I also have a Rossi 357 mag (Taurus owned) that has been great. The wife really likes that one. To me, it depends on the model. I think they can make copies of well known guns really well, pt92, 1911, etc. if you buy one of their own models, I think you are flipping a coin. From what I recall, the PT92 is made on the same beretta machines as the M9.

I've owned a several taurus guns and had issues with only one of them. I currently have a PT1911 and PT92FS. Both are great guns and not had any issues that weren't ammo or shooter related, i.e. limp wristing or dud. The one I did have problems with was a millennium in 45. Mag would fall out after the first shot if fully loaded to 10 rounds. If you down loaded it to 9 it wasn't an issue. I also have a Rossi 357 mag (Taurus owned) that has been great. The wife really likes that one. To me, it depends on the model. I think they can make copies of well known guns really well, pt92, 1911, etc. if you buy one of their own models, I think you are flipping a coin. From what I recall, the PT92 is made on the same beretta machines as the M9.

Thank you. It is nice to have a bit of encouragement. My son has the 1911 which I shoot regularly, and it is fine, has great trigger. The price of the 9mm should have warned me, but being a life-long tightwad, I succumbed. I intend to stay on Taurus' csae until I'm happy or worn out. Phone calls are cheap. Thanks again.

If for your daughters may I suggest a Walther PPK series, those are one dandy gun in something smaller. I assume your looking smaller guns from this thread path. They carry very well and carry mine often as well as a S&W 380 Bodyguard.

Myself I don't care much for polymer guns and would much rather have real gun. I don't much like Tupperware anything! My Bodyguard and MK3 Ruger are the only ones I own. To me "real steel is the real deal.

Big problem, there's so many great options out there and it can be hard to choose, but then it's pretty hard to choose a gun for someone else anyhow! Some guns feel good to some and terrible to others, so don't even try to choose a gun for someone else, I think that's a mistake.

Do you have access to a range that does rentals Popwood ? If so it might be a good idea to take the girls to the range and let them try out a bunch of different guns to see what they really like and find what works just right for them. That's the best bet IMHO.

Everyone tells me I need a Glock and there just so wonderful and yada yada yada ,, but to me there the most awkward, clunky POS with the worst grip angle ever! I can't hit the broad side of a barn with any of them. But I can drive tacks with most anything else. So there's just one example of whats good for one may not be good for everyone. So let them decide what fits just right. Then if needed they will be confident and competent with it, and that's what's really important.

My daughter picked the Sig 226,,,and BOY OH BOY is she ever competent with it,, she can Damn near out shoot the Old Man nowadays,,,,LOL!!!
The gals both have the S & W .380 that you have, and are quite pleased with them. One, living in Texas has earned her ccw with hers.
I appreciate your counsel and concern.

I like my Bodyguard also and my preferred 380 "mouse gun" over all,, other than the PPK series,,of course. I'm usually out and about doing stuff in the woods so my carry gun usually is subject to pretty bad conditions most of the time and so far it's been 100% no matter how grungy it's gotten. Surprisingly the finish has no signs of wear even after carting it around 4 wheeling, logging, hunting, arrowhead picking and just all around hard use, it's held up very very well for being almost 4 years old. Considering it's a plastic mouse gun it's pretty darn respectable IMHO.

The PPK I'm a bit more careful with given it's cost. It's my "Sunday Go To Meeting gun,,so ta speak!! LOL!

But Hey ,with the proper ammo any 380 can be quite effective nowadays. I've watched many videos and gel tests with a 380's and found the XTP's seem to perform best overall when used in short barrel guns with fast powders. They do well when encountering cloth and other barriers from what I've seen on the interweb. They don't seem to clog up like many other designs I saw tested.
Myself I use a relatively hot -.3_.-4 grains less than max load with a fast powder and a 90gr XTP and that really does the trick out of a short barrel 380. Good accuracy and a good punch in clay blocks I've experimented with. My CZ's and Beretta both with a bit longer barrel seem to like the old school Winchester "Silver Tips" better. Which crone-graph out the pipe slightly slower but with better accuracy than the XTP's loaded hot.

I must admit though my 6906 Smith, which was my duty gun back in the day, is normally my daily carry piece if super concealment isn't required. I like those very much. I've had mine for >20years and not one failure , it carries well, nice and compact with good firepower and after I tweaked and polished stuff up a bit, it drives tacks. I think everyone should have one,,

But then again ,,I think everyone should have at least one of every GOOD gun ever made!!;):)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top