JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Washington: Trigger Modification Ban Passes Committee
why-the-maryland-awb-ruling-is-an-election-issue.jpg
Earlier today, the Washington state Senate Law & Justice Committee passed Senate Bill 5992 out of committee with a 4-3 vote. As drafted, this legislation has overreaching language that would ban modifications commonly made to firearms by law-abiding citizens. This bill is expected to be on the Senate floor as soon as Thursday. Please contact your Senator and urge them to OPPOSE this legislation! Click the "Take Action" button below to contact your Senator.

click-here-take-action.gif

Senate Bill 5992, sponsored by Senator Kevin Van De Wege (D-24), mirrors federal legislation proposed by anti-gun California U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA). This bill would make it a crime to knowingly possess a firearm accessory or any other device, part or combination of parts that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semi-automatic firearm. The broad and overreaching provisions in SB 5992 could potentially criminalize firearm modifications such as competition triggers, muzzle brakes, and ergonomic changes that are commonly done by law-abiding gun owners to make their firearms more suitable for self-defense, competition, hunting, or even overcoming disability.

Here's the link to get you there:

NRA-ILA | Washington: Trigger Modification Ban Passes Committee

Your NRA would like to thank all of the Second Amendment supporters who came out to testify in front of the Senate Law & Justice committee on January 15th against this and other restrictive anti-gun bills. Again, please contact your Senator and urge them to oppose this legislation. Stay tuned to www.nraila.org and your email inbox for further updates on issues affecting your Second Amendment rights in Washington.

Last Edited:
the link makes it so easy to take action... they did all the work for you. If you are a Washingtonian I urge you to take a few minutes and do it! PLEASE!

Just got this email in response!

Steffan - in all of my years of elective service, I have been an ardent protector of our second amendment rights - not going to change that now! Have a terrific day!

Ann

State Senator Ann Rivers, District 18

Ranking Member; Senate Health Care Committee

Irv Newhouse Building #204
P.O. Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7634
Toll-free: (800) 562-6000

The sponsor, Van De Wege was Pro 2A Rep a few years ago. He has sense elevated his political stature to the Senate and has been drinking the progressive liberal Kool-Aid.
I added a section in the NRA email asking him if he had any idea of what this law proposes to affect law-abiding citizens
I've invited him to a field event to show him the difference between a basic AR-15 and a modified AR-15. The only difference being is a polished trigger which breaks clean but does not fire any faster than the basic AR-15.
Lord help me if they ever had any kind of Common Sense they probably wouldn't be in politics. SMMFH:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last Edited:
The sponsor, Van De Wege was Pro 2A Rep a few years ago. He has sense elevated his political stature to the Senate and has been drinking the progressive liberal Kool-Aid.
I added a section in the NRA email asking him if he had any idea of what this law proposes to affect law-abiding citizens
I've invited him to a field event to show him the difference between a basic AR-15 and a modified AR-15. The only difference being is a polished trigger which breaks clean but does not fire any faster than the basic AR-15.
Lord help me if they ever had any kind of Common Sense they probably wouldn't be in politics. SMMFH:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jim, you know that he's going to have a panic attack just reading "AR-15" and will probably soil his panties at the thought of being within 100 yard of an "assault weapon"

Ray

I did not realize I could add to the email. Anyway basically what this ban is about is banning quick reset triggers. A lot of factory semi-auto pistols/rifles already have quick reset triggers as standard equipment. So in reality single action semi-autos would be banned and double action only pistols/rifles would be legal which I believe has been the motive all along.

I'm gonna be selfish... What happens in WA the migrates to OR... Please stop the insanity.

If this comes to OR, none of my firearms will be legal. They all have trigger mods to make them shoot better, not faster, but the law is overly broad.

I'm gonna be selfish... What happens in WA the migrates to OR... Please stop the insanity.

If this comes to OR, none of my firearms will be legal. They all have trigger mods to make them shoot better, not faster, but the law is overly broad.

It is intentionally broad I'm sure. When you give a mouse a cookie, he wants more, and more, and more...

I did not realize I could add to the email. Anyway basically what this ban is about is banning quick reset triggers. A lot of factory semi-auto pistols/rifles already have quick reset triggers as standard equipment. So in reality single action semi-autos would be banned and double action only pistols/rifles would be legal which I believe has been the motive all along.
The ban is specifically about Modifications so if it comes from the factory that way, or you build it that way from a stripped lower it can't apply.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews