JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious question I saw a post about a M and P 40 caliber that was for sale and in that ad it said something to the effect of the trigger has been worked on and it has butter smooth. The reason for the question is trying to educate myself what exactly is done to a trigger and I'm talking the stock trigger to make it smoother or better.

Curious question I saw a post about a M and P 40 caliber that was for sale and in that ad it said something to the effect of the trigger has been worked on and it has butter smooth. The reason for the question is trying to educate myself what exactly is done to a trigger and I'm talking the stock trigger to make it smoother or better.
They likely polished the contact points.

That is a broad question.
You have striker-fired guns and hammer-fired guns.
Each type require different treatments.

Take the hammer-fired, more conventional design...
As stated above it's about the contact points (hammer/sear) that are addressed as well as spring change-outs.

Your M&P seems to do well with the Apex trigger system.
Being a striker-fired pistol, these aftermarket trigger systems will often have different geometry and some will use non OEM springs.

Glocks are striker-fired and Overwatch Precision and recently Timney Alpha are the preferred aftermarket triggers kits.

SIG P320 striker-fired ?
Keres
Armory Craft

So, a multitude of things can be done, depending on trigger design.
The striker-fired pistols have brand-specific trigger kits.
Lacking a kit, you polish and change out springs.

Range guns and self defense need to be treated accordingly.
If you don't know what that means, don't mess with triggers.

That is a broad question.
You have striker-fired guns and hammer-fired guns.
Each type require different treatments.

Take the hammer-fired, more conventional design...
As stated above it's about the contact points (hammer/sear) that are addressed as well as spring change-outs.

Your M&P seems to do well with the Apex trigger system.
Being a striker-fired pistol, these aftermarket trigger systems will often have different geometry and some will use non OEM springs.

Glocks are striker-fired and Overwatch Precision and recently Timney Alpha are the preferred aftermarket triggers kits.

SIG P320 striker-fired ?
Keres
Armory Craft

So, a multitude of things can be done, depending on trigger design.
The striker-fired pistols have brand-specific trigger kits.
Lacking a kit, you polish and change out springs.

Range guns and self defense need to be treated accordingly.
If you don't know what that means, don't mess with triggers.
Striker Fired.

Usually just polishing the surface areas of the trigger bar and sear.

Other guys have already stated what a trigger job could involve so I'll leave that alone. I will however toss in my unsolicited two cents. I would be hesitant to buy a gun that had a trigger job done by a youtube gunsmith on their kitchen table. Too many things can go wrong. Safeties can fail, parts can break, could be just unreliable or you might get lucky and it will shoot three round burst. If you do have issues, it could get expensive. The manufacturer who will normally eat the cost of repairs on a stock firearm may not do so if it's been bubba'd by someone who is not a gunsmith.

16 year old me thought he was the shiz putting a cold air intake and oiled air filter onto my car…and then the damn thing went limp mode because the supercharger sucked some of that oil right off and coated and killed an air flow sensor.

Yep. Felt real cool going 10mph for half the afternoon to get home.

Working on your gun and having no clue what you're doing can expose you to similar feelings…or worse, if it's a carry gun.

Just like with cars, it's not worth it to buy someone else's mistakes. If the seller didn't keep OEM parts untouched so that the weapon could be restored to its original configuration, then I'd pass on it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top