JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can't seem to find anything (good) on the net about how to do a trigger job for my Smith revolver- a Model 66 K-Frame. The trigger pull is extremely heavy, and I'd like to lighten it up significantly.

Anyone have any diagrams, videos, or links?

Thanks!

Take it to a good gunsmith. I've had to replace a lot of parts for people who did "trigger jobs" without knowing what they were doing.

Name ONE! There are no gunsmiths in the entire area that aren't run by Billy Bob out of his basement, and may get to you in a few weeks when he's done repainting his den. I swear, what the Portland Metro area needs is an actual store front gunsmith.

Brightwater Ventures in Vancouver has a gunsmith. Not sure if he's there full time or on-site, but supposedly does good work. Nice store too. A store front is expensive and with many people (including myself) using youtube and the internet as a guide, much of the low-hanging fruit has probably disappeared for them.

I avoided going into business because I would have wanted to do it the right way. I just couldn't get past the licencing, taxes, FFL. It gets expensive. Someday, I will get some machines and do some work, otherwise, if it cant be done for myself or friends with hand tools, I don't bother.

Name ONE! There are no gunsmiths in the entire area that aren't run by Billy Bob out of his basement, and may get to you in a few weeks when he's done repainting his den. I swear, what the Portland Metro area needs is an actual store front gunsmith.

Koonce Custom in Salem, Sun Mountain in Bend/Sisters. That's two. I go to Portland as seldom as I can, so I don't have any knowledge of the area. There are several good gunsmiths in Oregon. Whether they work out of their garage/shop or have a separate brick and mortar doesn't matter. Do you know the overhead involved in maintaining a brick and mortar store? How about the fact that you have to have an address to put on an FFL application, so you may need a building for months before you can do business. Do you know how difficult it is to stay on top of jobs when people are constantly stopping by to talk guns (don't get me wrong, I love to BS about guns)? So lets see, lower overhead, less interruptions, and easier to get started. Sorry if you haven't has luck, keep looking...

An actual store front gunsmith takes a huge amount of overhead! Plus you have to hire someone to be the buffer between the smith and the customer. I have no problem talking to folks, but while they talk my ear off there is a ton of work in the back that needs my sole attention.

FFL, taxes and insurance does add up, but its worth it!

I dont have a den....:s0114:

Rich's Gunshop in Donald, Oregon did a great trigger/action job on my GP100. I plan to take one of my Smith & Wesson revolvers to them soon. I found the staff to be professional and courteous with reasonable rates and turn around time.

Wild Bills Guns in Molalla does some pretty decent work if you have to have something relatively local to the Portland area. The best revolversmith in Oregon IMHO is Wayne York (Oregunsmithing) in Pendleton. Action and trigger tune on a S&W revolver was around $75 last I had one done by him.

I can't seem to find anything (good) on the net about how to do a trigger job for my Smith revolver- a Model 66 K-Frame. The trigger pull is extremely heavy, and I'd like to lighten it up significantly.

Anyone have any diagrams, videos, or links?

Thanks!

THe S&W Revolver Shop Manual by Jerry Kuhnhausen is a valuable resource for those interested in S&W revolvers.
If you opt to have the work done locally, John Semm at Shooters Service Center is top drawer. (503-289-1280) He used to be the warranty shop for Smith in this area.

You could send it to S&W for an action job. I think this runs about $150.00
I have had S&W action jobs, and John's action jobs. I was equally happy with both.
I hope this helps.
Best,
Gary

You might consider John Semm at Shooters Supply Service in St Johns. SSS is a storefront gun store. John worked for S&W in the past and knows Smiths. He is capable, decent and fair. Call first before you go.

This!

I went to this guy with a somewhat tired S&W m-66 prelock and he told me it wasn't so bad, turned down the work! Then he went to his safe and pulled out a classic Smith revolver he'd done trigger work on and had me dry fire it. If ever I need revolver work, he'll be the one, for sure. As I recall it was $125.00 for a basic trigger job. Be aware, I believe he's only open on Wed. through Fri., maybe Saturday? Maybe it's changed? Real nice guy, living the dream, working when he wants? LOL

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top