JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I headed out to Wolf Creek this morning, hoping the chance of rain would keep people away long enough for us to grab a lane... no such luck. It appears a lot of people had the same idea as all lanes were busy when we go there. I had a bit of trouble getting out because there were so many cars and trucks coming in. We had to scoot to each side of the road so we could get past each other. I have to say though, everyone was well mannered on the narrow road and we all managed to get past each other.

It's good to see it being used, I just wish you wouldn't use it when I wanted to. :D

My wife and I would try again tomorrow but we have a herding instinct test my wife wants to take our new puppy too over in Brush Prairie and she wants me to film it, so I can't slip away myself while she plays with sheep. Darn it. I'm sure the place will be empty tomorrow too.... yea, right. :D

Mike

Sorry we were in your way, Mike! :D

We did get there a bit early. We figured that if we didn't we'd end up turning around and heading back down the hill with nary a round fired.

It was a regular Dodge City up there this morning.

120118%2002_zpsewgnjqbi.jpg

Well, since you said you are sorry, all is forgiven. LOL!

Yea, I drive a 2018 Ram 1500 and it can get tight on that road. My dash cam was running and I know I caught video of all the people and cars and trucks there when I came through. I'll have to pull the video in the morning.

I don't know how busy it is during the week but I may need to take some time off and come up during the week day. The weather is suppose to be changing soon so I don't know how often it will be good enough to come up there for a few months.

Anyway, glad you guys had a good time.

Mike

My wife and I headed out to Wolf Creek this morning, hoping the chance of rain would keep people away long enough for us to grab a lane... no such luck. It appears a lot of people had the same idea as all lanes were busy when we go there. I had a bit of trouble getting out because there were so many cars and trucks coming in. We had to scoot to each side of the road so we could get past each other. I have to say though, everyone was well mannered on the narrow road and we all managed to get past each other.

It's good to see it being used, I just wish you wouldn't use it when I wanted to. :D

My wife and I would try again tomorrow but we have a herding instinct test my wife wants to take our new puppy too over in Brush Prairie and she wants me to film it, so I can't slip away myself while she plays with sheep. Darn it. I'm sure the place will be empty tomorrow too.... yea, right. :D

Mike
Are weekdays less busy ?

A little while back I had a Friday off. It took me over two hours to find a spot to shoot. I started at Wolfcreek which was full. Headed to a few other secret spots, which were full and ended up back at Wolfcreek just before dark (5:30pm).

But, it is what it is. I'm thankful for the lanes. My wife even likes it there.

Sorry to hear about a tough time finding a place to shoot. My other issue shooting
out in the woods is the other people you don't know shooting close to you. I want to
go down range without some shooter behind me handling there weapon.:eek: You don't
want to go by yourself. Some gun owners do not know the first thing about handling a
firearm. I was shooting next to a guy who hands his lady friend a loaded handgun.
As she is pointing the thing everywhere with finger on the trigger saying "how does this work?"
Having someone point a loaded gun at you with finger on the trigger is scary as hell. That is
why 30 years ago I joined a gun club. Now I belong to 2 gun clubs. I know the
"Too many rules" thing. But having covered shooting area, shoot whenever I want,
heated range house, flush toilets and gun handling rules is worth it. Also the friends
I have made with fellow shooters. So much I have learned from other shooters. Fellow
club members are always offering you to try there gun. Now I regularly shoot competition at all
the area ranges. You don't have to be a member to shoot there matches.o_O
Just my $.02 and motivation for joining a gun club.:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about a tough time finding a place to shoot. My other issue shooting
out in the woods is the other people you don't know shooting close to you. I want to
go down range without some shooter behind me handling there weapon.:eek: You don't
want to go by yourself. Some gun owners do not know the first thing about handling a
firearm. I was shooting next to a guy who hands his lady friend a loaded handgun.
As she is pointing the thing everywhere with finger on the trigger saying "how does this work?"
Having someone point a loaded gun at you with finger on the trigger is scary as hell. That is
why 30 years ago I joined a gun club. Now I belong to 2 gun clubs. I know the
"Too many rules" thing. But having covered shooting area, shoot whenever I want,
heated range house, flush toilets and gun handling rules is worth it. Also the friends
I have made with fellow shooters. So much I have learned from other shooters. Fellow
club members are always offering you to try there gun. Now I regularly shoot competition at all
the area ranges. You don't have to be a member to shoot there matches.o_O
Just my $.02 and motivation for joining a gun club.:rolleyes:
We need in large block letters on the sign boards :
------------ RESPECT YOUR FELLOW SHOOTERS ----------
----- HANDLING FIREARMS STRICTLY PROHIBITED -----
WHILE OTHERS ARE DOWNRANGE SERVICING TARGETS

Or something to that effect.
Many casual shooters do not comply with this basic rule
nor do they recognize the danger.
I'm cool with loading mags, but do not touch that firearm when people are downrange.

I got shot at one time at a public range while I was downrange.
A grandpa with his grandson were playing with a .22
I think I was louder than that .22 in my response.
They packed up and left immediately.

Last Edited:
I always say a little prayer before I go out to my spots in the woods:

"No wind and NO people"... :D

Or, I just shoot when I know no one else wants to:
g1zSCHS.jpg
MsaENsd.jpg
Vr0DVy8.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, I'll never shoot at your wolf creek range. No need to, when I have some good honey holes near by..
deOygGn.jpg
Or join a club like Ron suggested. That's always a good idea. Then you can maybe shoot some formal shoots and bs with like minded individuals, in a SAFE environment..:
cN2OdDD.jpg
Some clubs aren't all crowded all the time. I was here all by my lonesome, so I was using 2 benches :p:D

While there is a lot to say for a club, just because they have flush toilets doesn't mean the person in the stall next to you is any safer than someone out on public land.

I don't mind joining a club but those that are relatively close enough to be able to go after work on a weekday when they aren't5 that crowded have one particular rule I won't do to join and the one place that is real close that I do plan to try sometime has a limitation of only one person in a lane. This means I can't shoot with my wife so I can work the slide on the guns she has problems with. She likes shooting and we don't let a stiff spring keep her from enjoying it. But the close range, Beaver Creek Armory, has the one person per lane rule.

Since Wolf Creek is only 30 minutes away for us, we'll put up with the crowded conditions for now and hope we can get an open lane. Or we'll shoot on the private property that one of the guys at work is able to shoot at as often as we can. It really isn't much different than some other hobbies I've had and I couldn't do them all the time... I do them when I can and I complain about not being able to the rest of the time. :D

Mike

Mike next time I go out or do a get together I'll see if you are up to it. Usually try to get a group together these days when I go out.

I don't think most at Wolf Creek are not nice enough to share lanes either. Today I stopped and chatted up every person at all four. Lanes 3&4 had two groups each.

As for not trusting folks out in the woods, I agree with above, it is no different than someone you don't know at an actual range. Just be good stewards, talk with each other, come to good terms about open chambers and no rounds in the gun and things stay safe.

I went up to wolf creek yesterday,
Saw you guys in the trucks at the top,
All the lanes were full, but the guys at lane 2 let us join them, really nice people and were more than happy to share the lane.
Stayed for a while, nice lanes, just fill up quickly
Pic of the kid shooting the m1a
20181201_140311.jpg

While there is a lot to say for a club, just because they have flush toilets doesn't mean the person in the stall next to you is any safer than someone out on public land.
Flush toilets are a BIG plus for your wife.:D Women hate portable toilets.:rolleyes: (So do I.)
As for not trusting folks out in the woods, I agree with above, it is no different than someone you don't know at an actual range
New shooters that are apprehensive about shooting are more comfortable with a club that
EVERYONE is following the rules. Range officers are present to enforce basic gun handling rules.
Club members know and follow the rules. You have an AD your done shooting for the day.
Follow the rules or you are asked to leave. Never personally seen anyone removed.
In the woods I have seen crazy a$$ people. Drinking and shooting? Every time they hold a
gun there finger is on the trigger. Finger off the trigger, they don't get it? Muzzle control?
Whats that? In the woods what do you do when the guy next to you "knows how to handle a gun"
does not want to listen to "make the line safe" when going down range.:mad: People behind the
firing line loading and handling a firearm.:eek: Only thing you can do is leave.o_O
I like shooting in the woods and most people you meet ARE GOOD people. But it takes only
one ding dong to screw it up. :confused:

I always say a little prayer before I go out to my spots in the woods:

"No wind and NO people"... :D

Or, I just shoot when I know no one else wants to:
View attachment 523635
View attachment 523636
View attachment 523637

If it makes you feel any better, I'll never shoot at your wolf creek range. No need to, when I have some good honey holes near by..
View attachment 523638
Or join a club like Ron suggested. That's always a good idea. Then you can maybe shoot some formal shoots and bs with like minded individuals, in a SAFE environment..:
View attachment 523639
Some clubs aren't all crowded all the time. I was here all by my lonesome, so I was using 2 benches :p:D
Nice club @bsa1917hunter . That turkey shoot this year was fun. And the turkey was tasty.

Nice club @bsa1917hunter . That turkey shoot this year was fun. And the turkey was tasty.
Yes sir. Good shoot. I was hoping more people would have shown up. I gave 2 of my turkeys away. I went into the shoot knowing id give 1/2 of them away to a couple single moms we know. See, thats another reason to join a club. And yes, the majority of clubs that ive been a member of, are far safer than shooting in the woods with people you dont know. I like the club environment because we watch out for each other. Safety is of the utmost importance at ALL times. I will say that i have met some great guys at the rock quarries i frequent as well. So not all people there are idiots. But some are, and thats where i draw the line. I just dont shoot with those types.

Last Edited:
I've found that weekdays are less busy but for best choice of spots you gotta get there early.

When we got to Lane 4 the other morning there was someone already there but he invited us to share the lane. He wanted the shorter side so we took the longer side and pretty soon we were all sharing targets, checking out each other's gear, bantering about each other's marksmanship but most importantly we were safe and warning each other about the range going hot with a loud holler of "EARS!!!!"

It worked out pretty nicely.

Was there this morning sighting in a new scope at lane 3. A couple let us share it with them. It's nice that most people treat this as a public area an not a private club. While most people are nice I have had some folks try to treat the gravel pit at Browns Camp as private land.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top