JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was attempting to install Volquarsen's trigger kit on my Ruger MK IV Light and I needed to remove the Hex screw on the right side of the firearm for the safety. The kit came with a 1/16" Hex wrench, and I read the manual, it states that the Hex screw is a 1/16". I went to go take it out and it seems that I've stripped the head. Wondering if anyone can help me out? Or have any ideas? Thank you in advance! 359CD2A3-7E93-4F62-9043-E480C0AAD51A.jpeg

When I did mine it was not 1/16th as I ran into the same problem.

that looks like it still has plenty of meat left to use the correct size

What size did you end up using? Because my manual says 1/16". Even on the little baggy that came with the MK4 to remove the right side safety.

I can't recall off the top of my head as I ended up having to go through my entire collection of Allen keys to get the right size (I even went through my metric sizes as well) and my desk always looks like a disaster when I'm modding one of my guns.

maybe take a look at the key itself, it could be that it's a cheap metal and it's actually the problem

I was attempting to install Volquarsen's trigger kit on my Ruger MK IV Light and I needed to remove the Hex screw on the right side of the firearm for the safety. The kit came with a 1/16" Hex wrench, and I read the manual, it states that the Hex screw is a 1/16". I went to go take it out and it seems that I've stripped the head. Wondering if anyone can help me out? Or have any ideas? Thank you in advance! View attachment 728852

Before you get to doing any more gun "Smithing" ;)

I have the Pachmayr set myself.

Put a drop of blue loctite inside the bolt hole and let it dry for 15 min or so - it will give you a little extra grip.

mine is an MK3 so I don't recall an Allen screw, I think it was just a punch pin but it's been awhile.

And agree with the others, theVQ kit turns it into a whole different pistol.

Best of luck on it

Been watching this thread with interest, as we have one of these MK4 pistols on order. The gf's pistol ( a S&W 22a) had a fail that I wasn't comfortable fixing, so we sent it to S&W, and it got stolen along the way, so it was time for something newer and better. Worst case, if the inside of that screw gets completely stripped, you can use a Dremel cut off wheel ( very carefully!) with the gun in a padded vise, and make a screwdriver slot to get it out. Sucks to have to order a specialty screw and wait, but they don't usually cost much. I buy pretty decent quality square-ended allen key sets, and they usually work pretty well. Over time, the ends start to round off, you can either cut them shorter, or replace the tool. All about the quality of the steel, and the chromed ones usually are pure Chinesium, very soft.

I was attempting to install Volquarsen's trigger kit on my Ruger MK IV Light and I needed to remove the Hex screw on the right side of the firearm for the safety. The kit came with a 1/16" Hex wrench, and I read the manual, it states that the Hex screw is a 1/16". I went to go take it out and it seems that I've stripped the head. Wondering if anyone can help me out? Or have any ideas? Thank you in advance!
Looks like it's time for an easyout!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top