JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've eaten all sorts of stuff, escargot and crispy calves brains, and this week I finally got to try rabbit. I've been looking for it on a menu for quite some time now with little success, until this week. I'm not sure which part(s) are generally eaten, but this was the hind quarters, deep fried. It was one of the most delicious meals I've ever had, and now I'm thinking I may need to take up rabbit hunting (though I've never hunted before in my life). I can't wait to have it again :s0155:

It's good stuff! A good preparation is to marinade the quarters in crushed garlic, salt, pepper and red wine, then braise in the marinade. Add a little crushed tomato, olive oil, and have it over pappardelle.

Wait till you try squirrel!
Seriously, there's lotsa smaller critters that are delish when prepared right.

Glad you liked it. Time to get that hunting license!

My folks raised rabbits as a food source when I was a kid. Good stuff! You have to be careful when you cook them because they are so lean that it's easy to dry them out! That's why the Germans and a lot of other cultures use braising.

Wait till you try squirrel!
Seriously, there's lotsa smaller critters that are delish when prepared right.

Glad you liked it. Time to get that hunting license!

LOL - early one Sunday morning one of my brother's friends shot a squirrel off the roof and suggested to a KY redneck friend that he should cook it up for them - his response was - you can't eat that - em's city squirrels - em's full of toxins"

Hard to find good rabbit areas around here,but I will try raising them. They will produce more meat than just about any other animal.

Next projects are chicken coops and rabbit coops

What type dish was it? First I had was Indian (India).Again,braised in something.

I had a college roommate who's brother raised rabbits commercially as meat and whenever his family came to visit they brought "chicken hind quarters" cooked with shake-n-bake bbq style. I visited their place one summer and out is the barn there were several rows of cages with white fluffy bunnies in them. Still good eating. I would certainly try it again. Deep fried would be tasty.

Years ago I shot a rabbit in our garden. When I brought it in my dad said: "where did you find that old buck rabbit?" I said, "in the garden, I want it for dinner tonight." Dad said, "Not tonight, go soak it in milk overnight, then give it to your mother, she will prepare it for you for tomorrow night." Dad said it had to "relax" first, that is why the soak.

When it comes to wild rabbit...dad was right. Cook as you will, but soak it overnight first.

That said: Our third daughter raises rabbits...they live in a pen and are fed, watered, and butchered like chickens...no need to pre-soak them.

my roomates and i were out rattlesnake hunting a couple years ago in south junction and got our first bunny rabbit. we covered it in teriyaki sauce and threw it on the bbq, best chicken we ever tasted! there were a couple bites that tasted a little gamey but the rest was delicious.
from what i understand it was not the best time of year to hunt them and there is a risk of sickly bunnies during the summertime, we must have gotten lucky because none of us got sick but for now on all our bunny hunting will be after the snows hit and kill off all the sick ones.
we didnt get a chance to go back out this year but are hoping to go again next year.

good stuff!

my roomates and i were out rattlesnake hunting a couple years ago in south junction and got our first bunny rabbit. we covered it in teriyaki sauce and threw it on the bbq, best chicken we ever tasted! there were a couple bites that tasted a little gamey but the rest was delicious.
from what i understand it was not the best time of year to hunt them and there is a risk of sickly bunnies during the summertime, we must have gotten lucky because none of us got sick but for now on all our bunny hunting will be after the snows hit and kill off all the sick ones.
we didnt get a chance to go back out this year but are hoping to go again next year.

good stuff!

easiest way to remember when rabbits are good is wait till the first hard frost then you are pretty safe

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top