JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Everyone!
I just finished a 12.5" Pistol build and took it out for the first time over a long lunch break. ;)
My purpose for this pistol was to create a lightweight HD 5.56 that my wife could handle that would also make a good all purpose ranch gun if needed to deal with coyotes or cougars. I went with FDE because if it ever got dragged into a court, I wanted it to be anything but black. I decided reliability was the most important factor and that balance is more important than overall weight.

I currently have a 10.5" and it's too loud. Using my GoogleFu, it seemed that there's a significant enough jump in velocity from 11.5" to 12.5" to make me decide on a 12.5". During my parts acquisition process, I was having trouble finding a good 12.5" pencil barrel. I'm of the opinion that Gov't profile barrels are stupid for Civilian guns. All they do is add a bunch of unnecessary weight to the end of the barrel on an already front heavy platform, so I refused to encourage their manufacture by buying one. I was really hoping Faxon made a 12.5" Gunner or Pencil but in the end, I couldn't find one under 20oz. Ideally, I wanted a 1:8 twist but I've been interested in a trying a Triarc TRACK barrel for a while so I decided to give it a shot. If anyone makes a 12.5" pencil in a 1:8 twist let me know, I might change barrels later and use this one on another build. I noticed that there wasn't much in the way of info or reviews on Triarc's barrels other than people saying they're great or meh and making claims but no proof. I'm here to provide a sample.

The gun is built around an Aero M4E1 receiver set, a 12.5" Triarc TRACK 2.0 barrel w/ 1:7 twist, pinned Superlative Arms gas block, Sharps XPB and an ALG trigger (ACT).

20190920_195543_resized.jpg
20190920_195658.jpg
After I finished the build, I went researching some soft points to use and ran a bunch to see what it liked. This too is a balance but between precision and reliability. The final winner was impressive and that too, I couldn't find much info on. The difference between the Hornady Black 75gr Interlock HD SBR Soft Points (which is far too long of a name) and the next best competitor was almost double the group size. The groups below were shot off a bench using a Romeo5 with a 2 MOA dot and a 4x magnifier. The 50yd groups were a little smoother and shot first to dial in the red dot. The 100yd groups suffer from some fatigue, rushing a little to get back to work and were fired in between the shots of the guy next to me who had a wicked brake on his rifle that rang my bell a little. With some match ammo, a scope and a better shooter, I think it is mechanically a 1-MOA or sub-MOA gun. Needless to say, I was very impressed. All measurements were made using the Ballistic-X app on Android.

My best 5 shot group at 50yds.
20190925_210527_resized.jpg
Next best group at 50yds.
20190925_210511_resized.jpg
Longer 8 shot group at 50yds. Stopped before I remembered what time it was and still wanted to go to 100yds.
20190925_210928_resized.jpg
My best 5 shot 100yd group.
20190925_210541_resized.jpg
This is a 4 shot group that measured 1.65" at 100yds and 1.58 MOA. The fifth was a bad flyer that I pulled and I'm not sure where it went but the group showed promise so I just wanted to include another example. I took too long and the guy next to me fired as I pulled my shot.
20190925_210700_resized.jpg
I still can't believe how well these soft points performed. I'm not sure how much better match ammo would run but I'm very happy with the build.
Happy to try to answer any questions you may have and I hope this helps!
Thanks!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews