JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to join a rifle range this month. Tri-county has its monthly membership orientation this Saturday.

Are there any other rifle ranges in the Portland area I should consider??
I think there is one out by Estacada but they require you volunteer hours & pay fees BUT the nice part is - they have long range (200yrds+) options.

Any info would be appreciated. Ideally 200yards +.

TCGC also has a 200 and 300 yard range that is normally open. The 600 yard range is also available at certain times.

Between the two (I've been a member at both) DR is is friendlier and has fewer dipbubblegum rules. TCGC has better facilities overall.

H

I am a former member at TCGC and am currently a member at Douglas Ridge. I agree with halmbarte regarding the differences between the two. TCGC has excellent facilities, but some of the rules get a little ridiculous. In particular, if you want to shoot at the pistol/.22 rimfire rifle range, the closest you can set a target is on their 25 yd carrier. This is fine for .22lr rifle, but I want to practice with my carry guns at ranges from 7-10 yds. You can't do that at TCGC unless you get qualified for the action range and participate in 1 or two matches (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). At Douglas Ridge I can shoot on the 100 yard rifle range and set a carrier at 7-10 yards if I want for practice with my carry pistols. No need to qualify or participate in matches.

The work requirements aren't that onerous. Just one 8 hour day per year. I usually get my work requirement by working Hunter Sight In Days.

I used to drive clear down the do Cowboy matches at TCGC, had a ball, great range, great folks running it, especially the multi day shoots.
I don't know what happened, but a group took over that I can only describe as NUTS! The started making up their own rules, became rude and confrontational, just all around jerks. I haven't been back for several years now, and I hope the climate has changed, it sure needed to!

I am a current member of TCGC: No such attitude exists there I know of but, we use chamber flags and please stay behind the yellow line after "cease fire"(sheesh). Pretty simple. They do have a range officer on all days now, usually retired and pretty 'nice' guys. I wouldn't stay if it was as MFM describes.

I should clear up one thing, my observations about TCGC concerned the cowboy shooters only, I have always been treated very very well by every other shooting group I came into contact with at that range.

TCGC is awesome. Action Range certification is no big deal, a total of 8 hours spread over two weekends to qualify is not a big deal. IMHO the folks at the pistol range scare me sometimes with safety issues. Occasionally you can get a gung-ho RO who likes to make up his own rules, but you just nod and smile and they go away.

That said, I would go wherever was closest to my house!

I used to drive clear down the do Cowboy matches at TCGC, had a ball, great range, great folks running it, especially the multi day shoots.
I don't know what happened, but a group took over that I can only describe as NUTS! The started making up their own rules, became rude and confrontational, just all around jerks. I haven't been back for several years now, and I hope the climate has changed, it sure needed to!

mudflatmike, I am new to the area and the boards, Are there and 500+ places to shoot in the area? Whats the nearest to Seattle/Evertt?

Jan 21st is the next session not the 14th per my emails with them

I am looking to join a rifle range this month. Tri-county has its monthly membership orientation this Saturday.

Are there any other rifle ranges in the Portland area I should consider??
I think there is one out by Estacada but they require you volunteer hours & pay fees BUT the nice part is - they have long range (200yrds+) options.

Any info would be appreciated. Ideally 200yards +.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top