JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, thinking of joining Tri County Gun Club and have a few questions I didn't get answered during my visit there last weekend. Hoping someone here can help me out.

1) Are there any competitive 100/200 yard benchrest shooters there? Guys that shoot custom action rifles in 6PPC or 6mmBR?

2) How often do they open up the 600 yards range? I know it shoots over the top of the 200/300 yard range so they have to close that range.

3) The 200/300 yard range doesn't ever really go cold, because of the way targets are hung. If that is the case, how do you set up wind flags? (Was told about the only time the range goes cold is to shoo off deer!)

4) Does the 100 yard range ever get so crowded on the weekends you can't find a bench?

5) I was surprised to not see any red lights and the blast of a horn to signify when the range goes cold. (I think there was on the 100 yard range only.) Does that cause any problems or confusion when someone wants the range to go cold to go hang targets?

Thanks for any feedback.

The 600 yard range is open on Tuesday evenings and about 1 Saturday a month. It is only used under the supervision.

Never found the 100 yard GP range full.

There are flags to shutdown the 200/300 range. I have seen people setup chronographs that way.

There are procedures in place to get everyone behind a line that is well behind the benches before the range goes cold. Works well.

I have been a member just under a year. Really have enjoyed it.

Call them up and ask your questions or email them

For the price - you may not get some accommdations you are use to. I have been with them for 2 months

Go On line and look at the calender - It will tell you how often the 600 Yd range is open - I would image it is a fixed period week to week.

There are two 100 yard potential ranges - One is rim fire and one is General Purpose
Rim fire is tied up with law enforcement during the week - open weekend.
I was there at the General purpose - at 9:30 am on memorial day and half the benches were used. So I bet they get max'd out. Go early . It is lighted range
Be Prepared: One issue is that every one wants to set their spotting scope up on the adjacent table. So do your self a favor - Put your spotting scope on a cheap camera tripod. Works great. I would image weekend is very busy in peak periods

The General Purpose Has horns and lights. I have not shot the 200- 300 range
I believe the indoor 22 range may have lights / horns
Other ranges it is manual - Usually every one looks for lulls - Usually about every 15 min people are changing out targets.
My recommendation is - people go there - get there guns out - get everything else ready THEN staple there target on a hanger. Means - people are going down range while these people are still getting their act together
When you go - First thing to do - Is get your targets ready to go so when it opens up - you are prepared

My understanding - they really do not have any 100 Yd "certified bench shooters" - but if there is one - I believe they set up on 200/300 yd range- Again call and check it out. other wise do your 100 yd on the 100 yd range and 200 on 200/300 yd range

The hardest part is making it through the Orientation.

Thanks for the info so far guys.

I wanted to ask here for a couple reasons. 1 - others might benefit from the answers and 2 - I doubt you guys are trying to sell me a membership, thus I feel I would get better info. That's what I like about these forums. I've looked at the calendar and have found it to be confusing as I don't know what all the ranges are called. I looked it over with the guy that gave me the tour and I still walked away confused. The good news is that there seems to be a lot going on and a wide variety of activities.

Good info on the general purpose 100 yard range. By the way, is that the formal name for it? I have a spotting scope mount to put on my own bench so I won't be hogging two benches. Good advice on getting your targets ready first. Exactly what I do.

I was told they used to have a 100/200 benchrest competition but not so much interest any more. That's too bad as that is what I was looking for. Actually more interested in talking to these guys for advice and maybe finding a mentor. I'm sure there are a few around and I will be sure to find them. I heard that the 600 yard shoots can draw around 20 shooters during the warmer months. Never had a chance to shoot that far from a fixed bench, so looking forward to that.

I heard the orientation is an ordeal. I think I get out of the tour since I did that last weekend, so I'm hoping the classroom orientation is only a couple-three hours.

I have never seen the 200/300 yard range go cold and I have never seen wind flags setup or chronographs used on that range. The chronographs are setup on the 100 GP range.

Respectfully

James Ruby

Thanks James. When I did my tour not a single person was shooting 200/300 yards, but there must have been at least 15 people on the 100 yard general purpose range. Was very surprised to see that. I sure hope I can set up flags cause from the looks of the layout the winds will swirl and gust coming over the berm to the North, at least during the summer. I have no idea how you would shoot tight groups on that range without some sort of wind indicator. It looks like the 100 yard range is pretty sheltered with high berms on all sides, so it should be pretty calm most the time. I imagine there are some tricky cross winds and updrafts when the air really starts moving though, like during hot summer afternoons.

I haven't used the 300 yard targets, but for 200 yards I look at mirage or vegetation for wind indicators. Some people will hang a ribbon on one side of their target frame.

I have been on the 200 yard line when a shooter asked to go cold to set up a chrono. Generally it is by mutual agreement as there is no requirement for a ceasefire on the 200/300 unless there is an unsafe condition or wildlife on the range.

The general purpose range (100 yard) actually has spots at 50 and 100 yards. The ceasefire lights are on a timer so there are regular periods where a general ceasefire is called. The timer is reset once everyone is back off the range. I have seen that range get full but it is rare and usually someone will be leaving after a short while.

elsie

On Orientation
It is broken into 2 parts:
1. For lack of a better word - Registration - ( They do the sign up and take your picture/money)
2. Actual Orientation - Read to you the club rules.
What I did was get there early. They give you a number and it is given based on first there gets first number- Then they call you in by number sequence

I was like No 13 ( Think I got there about30 - 45 min early) then left after having picture taken and took care of some things and then was back for the "Orientation" .

At the ned they did a tour - which was better than the orientation.

On the Action Range Qualification CLass - YOu need to sign up for it - I believe I am in the 6/18 class - which I think is orientation day

On the TCGC action range, for the bays that allow steel plates for targets, there are rebar tripod stands for the plates but no plates. Are shooters supposed to bring their own steel targets? The ones there seem to be locked away in a shed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top