JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Just to make sure we cover all the bases, the rules state that "Only paper and cardboard targets may be used on this range. Targets must be attached to the supplied target carrier system."

- I don't see anything in the rules about members 'fixing' the target carrier system.

- Why not touch base with the RSO first? They have a contact number.

- Use a piece of cardboard to affix to carrier, attach paper target to cardboard?

• disclaimer: I'm just a regular member , no affiliation to the bod.

Stomper,

It sounds like you were modifying the range equipment without permission. It probably looked pretty bad to this RSO who personally helped build those new short range bays. Why didn't you wait for an RSO to come by and ask for help?

It also sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder and that you feel entitled to be treated like someone special.

As well, it sure sounds to me like you are threatening this RSO because he chewed you out. That's concerning.

So let me get this straight... Replacing a target backer-board that's hanging on two pins on the target trolley is "modifying range equipment"? So anytime I replace a backer board on the conventional pistol range would be considered the same, I suppose... according to your logic. I'm supposed to wait around for a random RSO drive-by to replace an obviously easy to do backer board.... Hmmmm.

I have a chip on my shoulder because I object to being unjustifiably yelled at, demeaned, and treated like he caught me taking the range kitties' temperature with a pencil? So you say I think I should be treated special? Riiiiight, check.

As for being yelled at, I have no problem taking an butt-chew if I have one coming, 8-yrs. in the Army (3 as a Drill Sgt.) taught me that. There's being yelled at (which is just fine), and then there's just being abusive. Anyone being abusive towards a 6' tall, 210lbs. man shouldn't be surprised if he suddenly finds that man up in his face for some strange reason, and MAYBE ought to consider their behavior when dealing with a stanger... That's what I'm saying.

I wasn't there but your attitude on this forum makes me want to push you and see how far you'll go.

Your body size and the car you drive don't entitle you to any special treatment.

They really do want your input and getting a response/resolution via direct contact with them is certainly more likely than venting on a forum and expecting them to respond...especially if you don't provide the name of the RSO that was the problem.

The board at Tri County really;;; does not want your input. They just want your money.

I have had similar experiences with RSOs there, as have friends. I wrote a letter to the board, then followed up with a phone call when I got no response. Then I wrote more letters about other incidents.

After a couple of years I quit and won't go back.

Nothing wrong with discussing it here. The Tri County board doesn't give a crap.

From what I can tell, here's the way it works:

There is another very small club that has been around since 1948 and owns all the TCGC land and facilities, and it rents it to TCGC. It was originally the Sherwood Rod and Gun Club, now called Tualatin Valley Sportsmen's Club, and no you can't join.

In 1959 TCGC was created. That's the organization that we are allowed to join and support.

So what appears to be the purpose of TCGC is to get money from the smelly unwashed masses to pay for a truly first class facility. But TCGC does not own the land or facilities. And as long as nobody accidentally gets shot there, they don't care about your complaints.

What is really interesting is if you go here:
Business Registry Business Name Search

And search for TUALATIN VALLEY SPORTSMEN'S CLUB you can see who really owns/controls the land and facilities.

If you then search for TRI-COUNTY GUN CLUB you will see when it was created and who the controlling members are.

It's a pretty slick setup overall, and shields the true property/club owners from liabilities created by the general public members.

I wasn't there but your attitude on this forum makes me want to push you and see how far you'll go.

Your body size and the car you drive don't entitle you to any special treatment.

Who said what car I drive, or wanting "special treatment"? So you obviously think not putting up with being treated like an A-hole is "entitled"... I was as polite to the RSO as could be, even with the abuse. Not that I care what you think, but don't take my "wit and humor" online for being some obnoxious caveman, I'm quite civil in fact.

Say how you feel--don't hold back.

It's this part that still has me concerned.

... he now has a couple of "capable" members that are now "laying in the weeds" for him... I'll gladly sacrifice my TCGC membership to cave his head in if he pulls that stunt again.

Hmmmm.....we have threats....we have name calling...posturing...disrespect all the way around...

It's one thing to voice your opinion and discuss it. But this has gotten out of line. Moderator, this thread needs to come to an end!!

Last Edited:
This is the perfect place to vent this and show other prospectives what they might be getting in to.

It's too bad a few bad apples spoil the bunch, but it doesn't help that the board doesn't care and are not willing to correct poor range officer behavior. It is a power trip for some of these guys.

I have heard this from many and even from law enforcement officers that have gotten harassed while training. The LEO presence is one of the reasons why TGGC has lasted despite people trying to close it.

I appreciate your "concern", but that statement could mean many things... Like "capable" meaning having the financial means to file a civil lawsuit, or maybe having combative skills to do "whatever", or maybe having enough connections in law enforcement or politics to make life difficult... hard to tell without any stated specifics, you know?

"Laying in the weeds" means just what it says... Sitting back, watching and waiting for a repeat incident. That rude jerk of an RSO is in control on whether or not another UNCALLED FOR incident occurs.

Furthermore, I apologize for my earlier post towards you and will edit them, my beef isn't with you.

No worries. Glad you had the chance to discuss what happened.

A little background might help here. There have been some cases at the club where people mess with the equipment and cause damage. It's really hard for the RSOs to have to deal with this sort of thing, and you can imagine they get a little grumpy. Some have a law enforcement and or military background so they can come off a little gruff :)

I am a proud TCGC member and while the club isn't perfect, I think you will be treated fairly if not always politely.

I appreciate your "concern", but that statement could mean many things... Like "capable" meaning having the financial means to file a civil lawsuit, or maybe having combative skills to do "whatever", or maybe having enough connections in law enforcement or politics to make life difficult... hard to tell without any stated specifics, you know?

"Laying in the weeds" means just what it says... Sitting back, watching and waiting for a repeat incident. That rude jerk of an RSO is in control on whether or not another UNCALLED FOR incident occurs.

Furthermore, I apologize for my earlier post towards you and will edit them, my beef isn't with you.

Stomper,
You just earned my respect!! :s0155:

A little background might help here. There have been some cases at the club where people mess with the equipment and cause damage. It's really hard for the RSOs to have to deal with this sort of thing, and you can imagine they get a little grumpy. Some have a law enforcement and or military background so they can come off a little gruff :)

I am a proud TCGC member and while the club isn't perfect, I think you will be treated fairly if not always politely.

LOL... Being a former Infantry Drill Sgt. I get the grumpy and gruff thing, believe me!

First the man is in absolutely no physical danger from me and mine (never was). Seriously, I can take a butt-chewing if I'm being a meat-head (it happens.. LOL) but if ever I get denigrated like that again he (or any other RSO) will find themselves in a nose-to-nose verbal beat-down that R. Lee Ermy would cringe away from. I (generally) don't believe in laying hands on someone for a verbal argument/disagreement, and what I meant by "sacrificing my membership to cave his head in", was what I just said... verbally.

If you do know this guy and see him, I'd appreciate it if you'd please relay to him that he ought naught to take out his frustration from dealing with the "dummies" on everyone else until he at least hears out, and gets the full picture before "range raging" on other members. He may run afowl of an ill-tempered individual that may well physically fold him up... even cops usually start out polite.

Also, please (I know you're not my messenger boy) mention that if its a "rule" to wait for "range assistance" to replace a backer board on those lanes, they should post that on the wall, as well as signage posting "restricted areas" if they don't want people looking for materials. Most gun owners are self-reliant and don't waste time wringing their hands waiting for someone to come along and fix an obviously simple problem like a backer board, so maybe he ought to consider that in his approach when dealing with people.

I fully understand being territorial over something you built like that, but keep it in check man! If you would, please pass along my compliments on the construction of those awesome lanes, he did good! TCGC has needed short-range pistol lanes for YEARS!

If I happen to see him again (never have before), I'll also break the ice and (gently) discuss it with him as well.

For what it's worth, I don't think I'm "special" or "entitled" or think I'm better than anyone else, I was just PEEVED, and I mean PEEVED!!

Peace.

Are you threatening the RSO?

Really. Yeah the RSO was overreacting and all, but it is really a thankless, low if any pay job and I'm sure they just get burned out and frazzled from time to time.

If you are really that unhappy send a letter requesting your membership (pro-rated) dues back and move on. There are many people waiting to get in there, so they won't be hurting.

The last ten times I've been there they know my car - I go there on 'dead days' - (Sunday afternoons or Mondays) - parked in front of the bay and they never even stop or give me a second look. Even my AR-57 that looks exactly like an AR-15 (mag used as ammo catch) doesn't get their attention. (As I go through $100 in ammo in a half hour LOL)

I know that people have issues with RSOs there, but honestly, a little kind-hearted conversation with them goes a long way. If I am at my car, coming or going, I ALWAYS take the time to say hi and ask how his/her day is going and how much I love the range, how much I am enjoying the day, etc.

If they know who you are - and you have taken the time to let them know you are a safe shooter - they don't disturb you when you are shooting. Just my experience.

I like how you are trying to be the diplomat here BUT a few things about retail(which this is) and people in general

1 Size does matter. If you want to be stupid or rude,do it to some old lady or broke down old man. Else wise you could have some terrible consequences.You never know who you are dealing with. Ask any sniper.

I DON'T GIVE A RATS PATUTY what your back round is.Cop military or whatever. I don't care what ANYONE else did to YOU,if you take a retail job and are going to work with the public,you need to have some decorum. A little tinsy bit of respect when you talk to people goes a long way.
Had he talked to me that way I would have told him to piss off and go get someone else to come talk to me. Had he snatched something out of my hands,well,we would have had some problems.
If your beloved range wanna bees can't handle talking decent to people then they need to get different jobs.What someone else did to you has no bearing on you and me

Now as far as stomper goes,I don't really see the big deal with changing the cardboard. Most places could care less and would have thanked him for doing so.
But why interact with a dumb sh!te at all? Kindly ask him to remove himself from the situation and send another to talk to you.
And I don't know that the last little bit of your OP was appropriate.

And for y'all saying this isn't the place to discus it?
Why the heck not? I want to be informed about jack hat places like this.
This is what forums are for,to let your brethren know what places are good and which are not

Aww... c'mon, the last bit of my OP is not only funny, but also poses an explanation of why there has been RSO "personality issue" for so long. ;)

I never said I was unhappy with TCGC, I enjoy the range facilities, and have never run into RSO problems. I'm quite confident/competent with range rules & safe practices. I'm not interested in "quitting", Burt... So stop trying to snipe my spot for your buddy who's on the waiting list! :s0114:

If it was my range, you would have been told to stop & depending on your attitude, may have been asked to leave.
There are things like liability issues with customers monkeying with the facilities. Of course I would have had signs installed to reflect this issue.

That's just it, our attitudes were positive and congenial for about the first 15 seconds of being verbally abused, then I shifted to being "irritated", yet NOT telling the RSO to go stuff himself at any time. So we wouldn't have had a problem, you and I.

There is no excuse for the RSO's behavior. It's a service position. He's there to make sure the members have a safe and enjoyable experience. He's not there to protect his turf. He needs to be tactful in EVERY situation. He needs to unlearn whatever you all think he learned in the military that's contrary to that. I was a senior PO in the Navy and was in charge of a lot of yahoos in my time. I don't make that an excuse to be rude and condescending. If he can't handle it, then quit.

Thank you for posting your issue here. I might otherwise have considered joining TCGC. I dropped any effort to join Douglas Ridge Rifle Club the day I went there on a public sight-in day and got yelled at starting with removing my weapons from my vehicle. Apparently I didn't hold the muzzle of one of them high enough in the vertical position as I worked to remove and carry two rifles and an ammo box from my vehicle. When I approached the RSOs (two of them) at the entrance I was TOLD to hand over my rifles to them, one being a $3000 antique heirloom shooter. I cringed as this bozo played with my expensive rifle standing there in a patch of gravel with no table or bench, and loudly advised me of the rule about keeping muzzles vertical and above head level. I went ahead and shot there that day, but I've never been back and I round filed my membership application.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top