JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
To whoemever is from Tri-County Gun Club who is "anybody"... I have a serious beef.

First, I have been a member in good standing for the last few years. I enjoy the facilities and overall I'm quite happy with all of it. When I'm there I'm polite, courteous, considerate of others, I police my brass... in general, I leave the place better than when I found it on my departure.

One of the BIGGEST COMPLAINTS about TCGC is the sometimes wacky-assed RSO's that prowl the place. Most are polite, helpful, and patient with the "less than adept" members, but I have to relay the actions of the RUDEST, MOST CONDESCENDING JACK-KNOB I have ever interacted with in ANY venue... and I've been around.

On Wed. Feb 20th at approx. 2:30-3:00pm me and a guest (who is going to attend next month's new member orientation) were using the new (and most excellent) short-range pistol lanes. We had shot a few volleys into our targets, and the paper was getting torn into about 1" tails (we were shooting .45ACP FMJ) due to the backer board having about 8-10" holes shot out of each side. I looked around and found some intact backer boards to the right of the metal structures and got one out intending to replace the inadequate backer board.

The existing backer board was hung on the frontside of the two mounting bolts (over the bolt heads) of the target trolley, but the moutning holes in new backer board were too small. I have never had to replace the backer boards on these new lanes, so we were using the existing board as an example, and while we were in the process of enlarging the holes in the new backer board the on-duty RSO (who, BTW looked like an unkept long-haired hippie) pulls up, gets out of his Ford van and proceeds to ask us in the snottiest voice, "just what do you think you're doing, and what's with the knife?" (that we were using to enlarge the holes).

I told him we were changing out the backer board because the other one was shot out and our targets were tearing, and that we're enlarging the holes like the other backer board was when we got there. He looks at me like I said the dumbest thing he ever heard, looks at the still hanging original backer board and says very condescendingly, "NO, it's NOT shot out, and where did you get that?" (referring to the new backer board)

I told him right around the corner where all the other ones are stacked. He then gets almost red-faced and yells, "that is a MAINTENANCE ONLY area, you don't go there!"... I looked at him and said, then you should put up a sign saying so, how is anyone supposed to know that, its right along side the shooting structure? He then just gives me a "Phhpppt", and grabs new new backer board from my guest's hands and stomps off with the backer board, puts it back and slams the metal conex door back open to cover the pile of backer boards and goes back to his van and sits there for about 5 minutes (or so).

Now let me say, there was no safety violations whatsover, there was no infractions of any other club rules (I'm aware of) so this JACKASS had no right to even bother us, let alone treat us that way. I have ZERO negative financial impact on the facilities (I don't break, steal, or shoot up stuff), I leave an incredibly small footprint from my activities on the facilities, AND I'm a paying member, by defacto a PAYING CUSTOMER!! Am I not entitled to have my targets not tearing out in tails because they are stapled over 8-10" holes in the exisiting backer board? I sure AS HELL don't recall any rules in the newsletter, or anything on the list of posted rules on the wall that we aren't allowed to changeout the backer boards when needed.

I'm giving you a word of advice TCGC executives\leaders, you better get your RSO cadre squared away and pulled up a notch or three. I don't go there to socialize, and BS... maybe teach them to learn if a member at a shooting bench is receptive to being interrupted while at the bench to BS. Save that crap for the clubhouse. Maybe also require they submit to a urin test for drug use as well.

If they have a predjudice against the type of gun a member is shooting (black rifles maybe), or hates the fact a member drives a nice E-Class Mercedes because the RSO can't afford one... whatever... tough shiet! If I'm not breaking any club\safety rules leave me the HELL ALONE.

You should do the math on the time and date above and see who that A-hole was, and let him know he ought to work on his manners, because he now has a couple of "capable" members that are now "laying in the weeds" for him... I'll gladly sacrifice my TCGC membership to cave his head in if he pulls that stunt again. I was totally gobsmacked... maybe he's one of the TCGC executive's socially retarded brother or cousin... or something?

airing out the dirty laundry of a private club on the internet? really?
print your story and submit it to the bod.

while i dont think you or your story is out of line, it does make me wonder why you would bring it here instead of the monthly bod meeting.

im not a member of tcgc.

I've been a member for quite sometime now and have participated in almost every discipline offered at TCGC. By far, the weekest link at TCGC are the RSO's and the variability of who you encounter as a RSO is off the charts. I guess that's because it's a volunteer position??? But seriously, the wide range of rule interpretation, downright disrespect for any black rifle, and the just plain rudeness of their RSO's is a joke. It's so odd becuase many, if not all, of the directors and board members i've interfaced with are fantastic and receptive to feedback.

-AO

economics. so few nice places to shoot / shooting out in the woods with crazy yahoos + lots of eager gun owning shooters + memberships fees of desperate shooters = screw you, find somewhere better to go.

If the RSO's at TCGC are so god awful then why are you paying them a dime? Take your business and friends somewhere else. It sounds like the rude behavior from the staff is common.

I would take my money else where.

Some people should not be given any authority. But it is what it is. Tri County is my second gun club and I've only encountered one range officer there that was less than respectful to me, and in reality even he wasn't that bad. There is always going to be one or two, and if you are going to be a member of a gun club you have to expect on occassion you will encounter these kinds of range officers. All I can suggest is get the persons name and report it. After enough complaints I would hope they would do something about it.

You need the name of the RSO..

Go thru the proper channels to make sure the board learns about this. How about going to a meeting and talk about it.

Posting your rant here about a bad RSO, seems like your trying to bad mouth the whole club.

Maybe go a few minutes early to next months meeting and talk to the board.

I think the forum is a great place to share stories, vent, do whatever you need to do. I also agree that tackling your issue directly is definitely the way to go, so hopefully it doesn't happen next time you're out at the club. Perhaps labeling the post as a rant, suggestions wanted, or similar would help you get a better response from members so we can help you in the best way possible. I can feel your frustration and that must have been pretty crappy, especially when you're introducing a potential new member.

To whoemever is from Tri-County Gun Club who is "anybody"... I have a serious beef.

If they have a predjudice against the type of gun a member is shooting (black rifles maybe), or hates the fact a member drives a nice E-Class Mercedes because the RSO can't afford one... whatever... tough shiet! If I'm not breaking any club\safety rules leave me the HELL ALONE.

You should do the math on the time and date above and see who that A-hole was, and let him know he ought to work on his manners, because he now has a couple of "capable" members that are now "laying in the weeds" for him... I'll gladly sacrifice my TCGC membership to cave his head in if he pulls that stunt again. I was totally gobsmacked... maybe he's one of the TCGC executive's socially retarded brother or cousin... or something?

Are you threatening the RSO?

I joined last year and go to the ranges once per week...never had a problem with an RSO. I've chatted with several and only had one time when I provided with "advise"; which, by the way, was a valid comment from the RSO.

That being said, I recall at the orientation meeting for new members that they were encouraging anyone who had a problem -- including with RSO's -- to get the RSO's name and talk to the supervisor and/or notify the board via e-mail and/or go to the board meeting. The monthly flyer (also available on their web-site) posts contact information.

They really do want your input and getting a response/resolution via direct contact with them is certainly more likely than venting on a forum and expecting them to respond...especially if you don't provide the name of the RSO that was the problem.

I've never had a problem with an RSO either, but I've heard some outright looloo's of some incidents.

TCGC is not some secret club with dirty secrets like the Masons, or Skull & Bones fraternity that I'm sworn to protect.

I publicly posted this because RSO behavior has been an ongoing issue for YEARS, and whatever the board is/has done isn't good enough. Perhaps a public flogging will get them to be more assertive in the matter.

I'm the first to praise ANY person/organization when they get it right, I've recruited and brought in three others to TCGC.

I don't need that ***-clown's name, I gave the time, day, and good enough description of him, plus there should be a duty roster an interested exec can refer too in order to zero in on the guy.

If you have to ASK if I was threatening an RSO, then no I wasn't. Besides, a threat is stating what MIGHT happen... I don't deal in hypotheticals, they bore me.

FIX THIS JERK, TCGC EXECUTIVES! He may run accross someone less temperate than me having a bad day, and make the news in a detrimental fashion.

Are you threatening the RSO?

Sounds like the OP was venting.
Like saying the RSO should mind his manners and keep his personal crap buried in his limbic system where it belongs.
The problem with disrespectful people is that they appear to believe there are no consequences for their bad behavior.
Sometimes there are consequences depending on the nature of the offended one.

Bottom line?
It's really not all that hard to be nice...in fact, it's free and doesn't cost a dime, uses considerably less energy, and both parties go away rewarded.

So glad I don't live in the PDX area anymore. I can go for a short drive from my home and shoot in a different place with no people almost everytime. I make sure to clean up after myself so that you could never tell that someone had been shooting in that location. Oh yea, and I don't pay any additional range fees or dues, and I don't have to deal with mall ninja RSO's.

I agree the OP has EVERY RIGHT TO DISCUSS this here. How will anyone know about problems at TCGC. Maybe this will allow someone to make an informed decision and join somewhere else.

All I can say is TCGC is the only gun club I know which has gone out of its way to making shooting un enjoyable.

Your long winded story should be sent to the board not posted here

RSO have a hard job as some gun owners know everthing and do not like to be told what to do

Sorry you got "bored" reading my recount of the incident, but you'll notice it wasn't addressed to you. You're also entitled to your opinion about where to discuss things, but I stated my reasons for the public "nuclear option".

As for the poor RSO's, they VOLUNTEER to do that job, do you cut out of control LEO's the same slack? I bet not. Yes, there are a few jack-wagons they have to contend with from time to time, but I'm not one of them.

Stomper,

It sounds like you were modifying the range equipment without permission. It probably looked pretty bad to this RSO who personally helped build those new short range bays. (I know this guy, and he means well, and does a lot for our club).

Why didn't you wait for an RSO to come by and ask for help?

It also sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder and that you feel entitled to be treated like someone special.

As well, it sure sounds to me like you are threatening this RSO because he chewed you out. That's concerning.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads