JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tri-County sent me a mandatory "Release" which reads as follows "I acknowledge and understand that the Tri-County Gun Club permits the use of firearms and allows shooting, educational, recreational and range and facilities maintenance activities, related to the shooting and use of firearms, and general operations and understand that being present for any reason on TCGC property during which time TCGC Activities are conducted including, but not limited to, participating in or observing TCGC Activities, has risks and dangers associated with the use of firearms.

In consideration for my membership, or ongoing membership, and use of TCGC's property for any reason, including particpating in or observing TCGC Activities, I accept full responsibility for any personal injury, death and/or property damage to myself that may result for such use, and I release, acquit and forever discharge TCGC, its affiliates (including, but not limited to Tuality Valley Sportman's Club), successors, assigns, officers, directors, representatives, agents, employees and all liabilities, claims, demands, causes of action, suits (whether in tort, contract and/or liability under statue), damages, costs, expenses, and attorney's fees, arising out of the Release Person's conduct, act and/or omission of any kind, including any negligent conduct, act/or omisson" ,

I have read, understand, and voluntarily sign this Release.

Dated:

Seems to be a sign off of all liability for the Club. Has something happened at TCGC that provoke this Release? Are other clubs going this way? What do you think of this "Release"?

TCGS's board is full or lawyers. This may in part be because of the lawsuit back east of the kid, I believe in either PA or MA, that go killed at a full auto shoot. Any TCGC members with further knowledge feel free to chime in.

Received mine today also. To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised that they haven't done this earlier.

A question for the lawyers no the board, "How iron clad is this release?".

Received mine today also. To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised that they haven't done this earlier.

A question for the lawyers no the board, "How iron clad is this release?".

Not very. I'm not a lawyer, but I did go to law school. One of the first things you study in tort law is that this kind of release is very often unenforceable.

I'm more worried about a stray hitting my car at the action range. I hope my full coverage would cover me. Anyway I'm going to grab a membership along with a buddy after xmass. Its saying 9 am to do forms, and 11 for orientation? I can't see paperwork taking that long. Were talking 3 to 4 hours just to sign up?

Just an F.Y.I - I've tried to become a member, but they only have Sat. to sign up. I've spoke to 2 different people there via phone and it was like I was in the wrong to even think they would even consider a different day. There is honestly no way that I can sign up on a Sat. Terribly disappointed in the lack of choice, because I would join in a heart beat. Oh well...onward and upward.
Back on topic, I'm surprised that kind of place and the attitude shown to me so far didn't have one. Yes, as far as I've heard they really aren't enforceable more of a legal formality for insurance. Every place our kids have enrolled have it, gyms, childcare, etc etc., have it.

Seems to be a sign off of all liability for the Club. Has something happened at TCGC that provoke this Release? Are other clubs going this way? What do you think of this "Release"?

Like others have said, I'm surprised something like this was not already in place.
They are late adopters.

Honestly, i've signed scarier releases for a rental car.
This seems standard and fair IMHO.
Unless the club sponsors something like a russian roulette day, and in that case this release would get laughed out of court...

ok, maybe not laughed at, but you get the point.

I'm more worried about a stray hitting my car at the action range. I hope my full coverage would cover me. Anyway I'm going to grab a membership along with a buddy after xmass. Its saying 9 am to do forms, and 11 for orientation? I can't see paperwork taking that long. Were talking 3 to 4 hours just to sign up?

Signup is time-consuming, but frankly I prefer it that way because it forces everyone to listen to a formal walk-through of all range rules. You also get a feel for the board and safety officers.

Doing that on a drop-in basis wouldn't be practical. You can get there a bit later than 9. 9:30 should be fine, 10 might be pushing it. Keep in mind they're processing paperwork, taking NRA membership applications (if you're not already a member you must be to join) and taking ID photos for 40-50 people per signup session. They have a pretty well-organized system. I went through it a few months ago.

One of the things that took a VERY long time was to listen to the instructor read every word of the rules and regulations out loud. I really don't think that's very effective. I recognize the importance of the regulations but it was difficult to sit there that long and listen to someone read to me. What does work for me is for me to read the regulations for the specific range that I'm going to visit, before I visit that range, until I have them memorized.

At PSTC they just sit you in front of a computer, you sign the form, and you're ready to shoot. Much faster.

Oh, and I think I had to sign one of these forms last year also. I don't think they're new.

I'm more worried about a stray hitting my car at the action range.
Has anyone ever seen this happen? You'd pretty much have to be shooting in the wrong direction (a very serious no-no) to hit a car in the parking lot. I sometimes backup my truck into one of the bays, and the only way I see hitting it is if I'm pointing the gun in the wrong direction.

Last Edited:
At PSTC they just sit you in front of a computer, you sign the form, and you're ready to shoot. Much faster.

C'mon, that's an unfair comparison. PSTC is an indoor range with about 10 lanes (each seaparated by bulletproof partitions) and a range safety officer always on duty. As an aside, I like that place but am put off by their "must buy it from us" ammo policy.

C'mon, that's an unfair comparison. PSTC is an indoor range with about 10 lanes (each seaparated by bulletproof partitions) and a range safety officer always on duty. As an aside, I like that place but am put off by their "must buy it from us" ammo policy.

I thought that if you had your own TMJ ammo you could use it at PSTC. Most of us only buy FMJ, so it's moot.

"The Place To Shoot" also requires all ammo and targets to be bought on site.

The heck with all that. It takes me just as long to get to TCGC as it does to go to Salmonberry Rd., and there's nobody in the woods to yell at me for violating their umpteen rules. I only shoot at spots where I'm alone, and I generally collect a pile o' brass (and a bigger pile of trash) when I'm there.

I guess I'm the antisocial type!:D

I thought that if you had your own TMJ ammo you could use it at PSTC. Most of us only buy FMJ, so it's moot.

Nope, unless the policy has changed in the past couple of months or so since I was last there, they have stern posted warnings against using ammo not purchased from them. $15 - $17/box of 9mm is ridiculous in general, but even moreso since I started handloading.

I understand requiring TMJ but I suspect the requirement to purchase it from them is part of how they make money. At least A Place To Shoot is up front about that fact.

The release is not worth the paper it is written on. You can not force others to release you from your negligent acts. Sign it an send it back to make them feel all warm and fuzzy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top