JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was a member at Johnson Creek for two years (didn't renew for 2016) but their requirement of only shoot a target at 50 ft is ridiculous. The projectile is just going through paper and will still hit the backstop anyway. I know - it's their rules & if I want to play I have to abide by them but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

I applied at Tri County (10 minutes away) in late 2013 & was told I was #2000 in line. About 18 months later I emailed & asked where I was - up to 600+. About 5 months later I got an invitation & really began looking at what they offered. No indoor range larger than .22 so I passed. When the weather is good I can shoot for free on either of two private ranges a friend owns.

I was at Rich's in Dec & they have an indoor range. I hadn't been there for about two years so I don't know when it was added but at $15/hr it's not a bad price. They don't charge extra if you bring your own ammo like the crooks in Clackamas but Rich's doesn't allow reloads. I forgot to ask about factory reloads (LAX. etc) but what knocked me over backwards are their annual dues. The least expensive single membership is $600 and that only reduces your hourly rate - not eliminate it. When I lived in CT my son belonged to the oldest gun club in the US - the Hartford Gun Club - and dues were $500/year. That includes skeet & trap, long range rifle & indoor & outdoor ranges that allow .22 & up. The place looked like a country club with full time maintenance & gardeners. $500 a year for a place like is understandable.

Last June Douglas Ridge held an open house. I was interested in the rifle range so I drove back to the range & saw two guys wearing safety vests - RO's I guessed. I was open carrying & as soon as I got about 20 feet away one of them asked if I was a member. I told them I was there for the open house & was considering applying and one of the RO's said. "We don't allow open carry on the premises." I think my jaw hit the ground & after I picked it up I said, "This is a gun range & you don't allow open carry?" The guy said, "Correct. It might make some people nervous." At that point I untucked my shirt & covered my gun & said, "Well now it's concealed." I asked about prices & after this, that, & initiation I lost track around $600. While I stood there trying to catch my breath & process the political correctness of a gun range I received a text saying a close friend in CA had just passed away. I just got in my car & left, baffled by the "make people nervous" comment. It's a GUN RANGE and one I'll never recommend & will always hold in contempt.

Yikes.

Members and non-members alike, this Sunday is the monthly Speed Steel match. Open to all.
A great way to spend a Sunday morning, meet new friends, get a feel for the club, and for those looking to get Action Range-certified, get a qualifying match under your belt.
Show up about 8:30, safety talk at 9, start shooting 9:15 or so, done around 1:00.
Bring $12, ears and eyes, and an appropriate gun (pistol-caliber center fire handguns or carbines, or .22's), 5 mags, and enough ammo (250 rifle, 300 handgun).
Good times

What is the typical layout of the stages and distance to the targets? Avg. number of shots per string? Do you need a holster for center fire pistols, or do you start from low ready? I'm assuming full size would be better than compacts?

I'm a total noob to competitive shooting, but there is a 1st time for everything, so this might be the one to get my feet wet. :D

I think the "no open carry" rule is primarily to curb people's inclination to draw and fire on ranges that it is not permitted on. It seems like it's more of a safety thing than a nervousness factor at Tri County. I was at the orientation last night as well and I didn't get the impression that they make rules arbitrarily, it seems like they made them because at some point it became a problem.

I was at the Tri County orientation tonight, and according to the guy giving the presentation, no open carry there either. I don't understand, but I assume there must be some history behind that decision. It's not a big enough deal for me to not join. I would prefer open carry.

Looking forward to breaking in my AR soon, and shooting some .22 indoors... 24 hours a day! That's awesome.

I think if they said "No open carry and here's why...." it'd make a lot more sense. I wonder if they consider a drop leg holster open carry. That's just a real easy way to carry sometimes.

Topic over on my end.

What is the typical layout of the stages and distance to the targets? Avg. number of shots per string? Do you need a holster for center fire pistols, or do you start from low ready? I'm assuming full size would be better than compacts?

I'm a total noob to competitive shooting, but there is a 1st time for everything, so this might be the one to get my feet wet. :D

Hi Spook...
We take 6 bays in the action range, each bay is a separate stage with a unique array of steel plates.
Usually (5) steels in each array, which you engage in any order you wish, but there is always a "stop plate" that you must hit last (to "stop" the timer). Any misses are penalized 3 seconds each.
Avg distance varies by stage, from about 5 yards, to 35 yards.
Usually, each array has targets both near and away, as well as spread left to right.
Avg shots per string vary by skill and gun type...the rifle guys can often "clean" a string...5 shots. Pistoleros often need a few extra shots per string.
You shoot 5 strings for each stage, and your best (fastest) 4 are counted in your total score.
No moving. Usually reloads are completed between strings, while the timer is off (no pressure for a fast reload).
Pistols can shoot from low-ready, or from an OWB holster.
Rifles are all low-ready.
Very safety-oriented, and each squad has a few ROs that keep things safely moving along. Questions are encouraged...it's a good group.
Hope you make it Sunday...

Compact handguns are fine, but keep an eye toward magazine capacity. If you need 8 shots out of your 7 round G43, you will be changing mags frequently during a string, and your times will suffer greatly.
It is good practice though...
And it really helps to keep things moving along if you have 5 mags...one for each string.

Unfortunately, because even among POTG, stupid people do stupid stuff all of the time including playing with their firearm, not securing it properly, etc.

Just check the number of rounds shot into the overhead beams at a pistol range.

I believe that either range will allow concealed carry if you have a permit

I think if they said "No open carry and here's why...." it'd make a lot more sense. I wonder if they consider a drop leg holster open carry. That's just a real easy way to carry sometimes.

Topic over on my end.

I'm a member of DRRC myself, also a former member of JCGC, and left because of the very limited 50' restriction. Regarding the no open carry rule at DRRC, that rule, which some disagree with, is clearly communicated to any new member. I'm not sure who you spoke to that day, but I don't know if the answer you got was the 'official' reason from the club - I would have recommended speaking to a club officer to get their position. As I recall, it has something to do with insurance, but I don't recall exactly.

That said, Tri County has the exact same rule against open carry that DRRC has:

From the DRRC Handbook:

Unloaded Firearms - When on club property firearms must be unloaded and their actions open at all times except when on designated firing lines and ready to fire. Those with a valid Oregon Concealed Handgun License may carry concealed so long as the firearm remains concealed at all times while on club property. Concealed carry may not be allowed during certain events (contact the CRSO for specifics). Law enforcement personnel in the course of their duties may open carry loaded firearms.

From the Tri County Rule Book:

7. Loaded guns are NOT permitted in the clubhouse, office trailer or Indoor Range ready room except for concealed handguns carried by those legally allowed to carry them. Such guns must remain concealed.
8. Open carry of handguns is permitted only for law enforcement officers in uniform or when prominently displaying their agency badges. The same applies to uniformed military personnel during official training.

I would hesitate to be upset at an entire club over one interaction with two folks that may or may not actually speak on behalf of the club (though it could be argued all members ultimately reflect the club to some extent). The cost thing is a separate issue, but after your initiation, prices do go down into what I consider an affordable range.

I don't say this to try and convince you to change your mind or view of DRRC, just to point out that the "no open carry" policy is not unique to them.

Last Edited:
With open carry, isn't your handgun pointed at the people uprange when prone or sitting?

shooterstotheline_med.jpe

Just wanted to give a big shoutout to @Meridian7750 for helping this noob today (1st competitive match ever) at the Speed Steel match at TCGC and to @Goosebrown for showing me around the club and letting me shoot some of his toys!

I almost "punked" out and didn't attend the match due to the weather, but I sucked it up and went anyway. Really glad that I did. I had a really great time competing at the match and the shooting /tour afterwards! Well done guys!

:s0090:

Spook,
My pleasure!
It was great meeting you...nice shooting BTW.
Scores can be found at practicescore.com
Good luck with orientation, let me know if you want to hit the Action Range again.
Best,
John

I was there today too. I almost wimped out because of the rain, but figured if I didn't go if it rained I would never shoot. The weather actually turned out to be great.
Hey Spook, were you on squad 6 by chance?

Squad 4 I believe...

Do you happen to know all of the divisions? Trying to figure out all the abbreviations for the match scores.
We had a person on squad 6 that was also new to competition. Was wondering if it was you.
Abbreviations:

• Limited (L) – any centerfire handgun, drawn from the holster, no optic or barrel comp/porting, chambered in .38/9×19 up to 50AE
  • Open (O) – any centerfire handgun, drawn from the holster, chambered in .38/9×19 up to 50AE
  • .22 Limited (22-L) – any rimfire handgun, presented from low-ready, no optic, chambered in .22 rimfire
  • .22 Open (22-O) – any rimfire handgun, presented from low-ready, chambered in .22 rimfire
  • Pistol Caliber Carbine Limited (PCC-L) – any pistol caliber carbine, presented from low-ready, no optic, chambered in .38/9×19 up to 50AE
  • Pistol Caliber Carbine Open (PCC-O) – any pistol caliber carbine, presented from low-ready, chambered in .38/9×19 up to 50AE
  • Rimfire Carbine Limited (RFC-L) – any rimfire carbine, presented from low-ready, no optic, chambered in .22 rimfire
  • Rimfire Carbine Open (RFC-O) – any rimfire carbine, presented from low-ready, chambered in .22 rimfire

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top